NEWS

Technomancer feedback for a new book!

• 542 Replies

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #225 on: <07-23-15/1435:39> »
My suggestion is to use their mental limit as the limit of every operation a techno perform in the matrix using his persona. I think it is very simple and gives a lot more freedom in playing a techno. Right now the common sense is that if you do not soft cap all mental stats you cripple your techno. (it implies Attributes A as almost a must.)  If we simply use the mental limit they are free to customize their characters a lot more.

Nice one! The Living Persona´s Matrix Stats would still be used for some crucial checks (Staying hidden, Initiative, Data Spike Damage, Resistance...), but not for setting these way too low limits on every action.

And if you don´t want to meddle too much with the existing mechanics, you could also make this into a Positive Quality for TMs.
« Last Edit: <07-23-15/1442:30> by Finstersang »

halflingmage

• Chummer
« Reply #226 on: <07-26-15/1403:23> »
I think may people dislike technomancers because they are not as good at straight decking as a pure decker.  I am personally ok with this, as long as they have compensating strength in other areas.  Sprites go a long way toward this, but are not a solution for the problem all on their own.  I would really love to see in a technomancer book-

1)Further explanation and clarification of technomancer powers, especially on handling and commanding sprites(machine sprites I am looking at you), with examples.  Everyone really needs to be on the same page.

2) Complex forms are generally weak and/or cause staggering amounts of drain for what you get.  Rewrite and revisit existing, and add more.

3)Recognition that technomancers are probably the hardest build to pull off direct out of character creation, and they generally suck nachos at everything but matrix.  A resource A Decker by comparison  can have a level of wired reflexes and a cyber arm or two if they go with a moderate deck, making them much more of a threat in meatspace.  They also need fewer skills than the technomancer does, allowing for a secondary skill set or some physical combat options.  I am ok with this is the technomancer gets compensation, and not just after 150 karma spent of advancement.  Right now I don't think the compensation is fully there. 

dragrubis

• Newb
« Reply #227 on: <07-28-15/1143:42> »
Ok i copy some you guys (sorry) but add more (i didn't have time to read all of you soory):
1.   More Echoes! Look at the Echoes from 4th Editions "Unwired"-Rulebook.  Biowires, Acceleration, Mesh Reality and the all new pain editor echo...  Making them some what adoptomancers.
2.   A CF that makes the TM less visible to wireless Tools (cameras, smartlinl and so on) applying result as a negative modifier (up  to the bonus the tool give)
3.   A CF tactical cyberprogram (to be in a tacnet like bonus pool)
4.   Paragons!
5.   Nbr of (resonnance) Widgets (mini programs, smartlink, virtual pets, help for maintening CF or sprites, etc…) Widget as core slots for technomancers. They may be used to puppet some drones « like a rigger » by using (indice of the tool) of them. And they return to techno there versatility. Nomber may be augmeted through echo or quality. Or maybe advance core widget for special advanced uses via echo.
6.   Transform the resonnace program in a way it cans be used for select (resonnace or submersion grade) program(s) during Resonnance+Computer minutes
7.   Upgrade the resonce comlink echo with an other echo to use (resonnace or submersion grade) resonance abilities with the link
8.   The Skinlink Echo can be use on item WITHOUT any jack… (want to say it it’s better than trodes)
9.   Resonnance defrag (sleep 3 hours a day)
10.   Resonance buffer (add 1 box on matrix condition monitor used before natural condition monitor, clean up after reboot) max 5 time.
11.   Free Sprites
12.   Dissonants Sprites
13.   Ally Sprites
14.   Sprites Swarm (machine sprite swarm too)
15.   New sprite : paladin, sniffers, tank, deep and so on.
16.   Resonnances Hosts : Constructs of group of tencho with the ability to share CF or even echo (through echos)
17.   Dronomancers !
18.   Technomancer was very versatile in 4.0 but « deckers » weren’t now it’s completely reverse…
19.   Resonances pets (sniffing dogs, sleazing cat’s and so on) for technopetmasters (yeah look like resomon)
20.   Techno-jutsu : Technomancers using there habilities (specialized martial art) to destroy cyber in hand to hand fight with street sam bricking their ware while punching their faces.
21.   Resonance mist : echo to add resonnance or submersion grade to sleaze for hide purpose
22.   Electro sens : ability to use a new perception type like sharks (an have an assensing like ability, based on neuronal changed with magic, cyber bio etc.) (buyable as echo OR quality)
23.   Resonance ghost trunk echo used in first time to sweep data trial, then resonnances trail, and at end having a permanent resonnance clone ally (merge with an ally sprite)
24.   Echo to make electrical damage with hand (1 time a day by submersion grade or using « stun damage trail » as battery to this ability)
25.  A "Power trix" echo available after having bued all overclock echo (and maybe other) giving a new FC powertrix, that enable de mancer to add his grade level to all her trix limits and all dommage they give or take BUT the grade level his substract to the sleaze value for purpose of hiding in trix (yeah NEO style!) with a duration of the fc dice result round

All my ideas free of charges, and sorry for writing mistakes.

« Last Edit: <07-29-15/0534:34> by dragrubis »

Telaos

• Newb
« Reply #228 on: <07-29-15/1313:58> »
So I am relatively new to Shadowrun, but I have already fallen in love with the Technomancer concept.  I like many of the ideas listed, but there are a few of my own or reinforcements of needed things (sorry if I repeat or miss something that was in other books!)

1.  "Counterspelling" - If the Technomancer is supposed to be the mage of the matrix, why is there no counter options?  A Techmo should be able to "see" an incoming attack program and help!  So some functionality like the magic users counterspell should be available.  This would also give "Decompile" another use and make it feel more like a valuable skill (I know, ANOTHER skill for Techmo's). 

2. Sprites - Buffing them(aka Echos).  One of the primary reasons I believe Techmos feel weak compared to Deckers is that Decks can have improved stats + programs + buff to Deckers own stats.  Sprites on the other hand can only get more powerful if the Techmo makes SIGNIFICANT investments in Willpower (very hard to raise above 7 or 8 IMO without drugs), REALLY SIGNIFICANT investments in Resonance (Submersion cost + Attribute cost) and more investment in Compile/Registering.  You must put huge investments in yourself to get mild improvements in Sprites right now.  Give Techmos echos for Sprites that improve the Sprites stats or give the Sprites some special actions that can really help other Sprites.  Echos that give MORE TASKS.  I think that would be really helpful.  Also since Techmos and Sprites are linked mentally, commanding them should be faster than a simple action. Maybe command 2 sprites for a simple action or somehow it's a free action that is limited to a certain number. 

3.  Resisting Fade - Magic users can buff their attributes a bit easier than Techmos can to help resist and Fade seems to hit harder in general than Drain.  This always seemed backward to me since Mages can basically kill someone IRL while a Techmo has a much harder time being anywhere near that dangerous.  A simple Echo or even Streams could help balance this. 

4.  Cyber implants - Give Techmos and even Mages the use of 1 or 2 (if I could be greedy) points of Essence and not hose their casting stat.  Like, anything please. 

5.  Cold VR aka manipulating the Matrix quickly without passing out.  Why is there no middle ground between AR and hot VR for Techmos, the supposed most INTIMATELY connected beings to the Matrix?  A cold VR-ish mode could allow a Techmo to act more quickly than AR but suffer perception wise in both IRL and the Matrix. 

6.  Resisting Matrix Damage - Since Matrix damage can be doubly harmful to Techmos, I really believe anything that gives dice to resisting biofeedback damage should in some way help Techmos resist Matrix damage as well. 

I really like the idea of Technomancers being weird and generally unsettling to most people.  Please keep giving them options that allow them to not hack in the traditional sense but do nonsensical things that turn out to accomplish useful tasks in the Matrix.  Best of luck on the book!  (SOON PLZ)  :)

Bulshock

• Chummer
« Reply #229 on: <07-30-15/2342:31> »
With the stuff in Chrome Flesh regarding augments and Technomancers something along the line of interfacing with their implants in certain ways would be good.  A Stream or similar.  Pretty much anything else I can suggest has already been suggested (turn wireless on, become invisible to electronics (or hidden from) in meatspace, better Program Echo (my Technomancer wants to do Foundation stuff, but that wouldn't be fun for the group to do it by myself, but at the same time not going to spend an Echo on Hitchhiker, which means it won't happen), etc.).  The last thing Technomancers need is more Echos that feel like either a tax or worthless.  As someone who's played a Technomancer for the last year and half in their group, I can say that it currently feels like I've been spending karma just to try to catch up to what a Decker can do at CC.  Sure, I do things differently then a Decker, but even with Sprites I still can't stand up to them.  Even now, being noticed by a Rating 4-5 Host that then launches IC would be enough to make her want to jack out right then and there.

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #230 on: <07-31-15/0010:40> »
The primary problem is that the Matrix is largely ignorable in the heat of battle. You can't ignore bullets flying at you, but an angry decker trying to hack your stuff can be shut down with a free action.

Combine that with Technomancers hyperfocus in Matrix related things.. and you get the picture.

Basically the most improtant thing that needs to be done in the matrix is somehow allowing a Technomancer and Decker provide more bonuses for their allies (The technomancer even more) that you want to have someone attempting to hack things while in combat just to shut down those matrix threats that are making the meatworld more dangerous or whatever.
Concepts are great, but implementation sucks. Why not improve it?

Triskavanski's House Rules

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #231 on: <08-01-15/0647:37> »
Maybe a Complex Form that emulates Internal Router?
While were at it , a cheap quality that allows a TM to half  sustaining penalties of CFs with a combined level up to the qualities rating.
Still waiting on a Vector-Thrust Liminal Body.

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #232 on: <08-03-15/1133:24> »
Maybe a Complex Form that emulates Internal Router?
While were at it , a cheap quality that allows a TM to half  sustaining penalties of CFs with a combined level up to the qualities rating.

Nice one. But make it double :)

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #233 on: <08-03-15/1938:46> »
Then you could just get focused concentration.
Which you still can, so I assume you'd stack those.  ;)

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #234 on: <08-03-15/1940:56> »
Well, there is a drug that allows awakened to sustane at half the normal.
Concepts are great, but implementation sucks. Why not improve it?

Triskavanski's House Rules

Marcus Gideon

• Omae
  • Certainly not a Technomancer...
« Reply #235 on: <08-03-15/2128:18> »
16 pages of info... TL;DR  ;D

Just a few things off the top of my head.

- Smartlink would be awesome, some way for a TM to talk directly to their gun without needing Eyeware or implants.

- TM Foci. Somebody already wrote some house rules for some, basing them almost entirely off Magic Foci.

- More Sprites, there were quite a few variants in the SR4 stuff.

- Reduce Fading on pretty much everything. Otherwise you have to Edge every Puppeteer use to avoid killing yourself in the process.

- Clearly define things like Resonance Veil and Resonance Channel.
- - Res Veil says "something happens" which could literally be anything. I've had some GMs admit they think it's within the realm of possibility for me to convince an ATM it "thought it saw" my bank account full of money, so it would gladly fill my Credstick to the top. Now I'm walking around with a Credstick full of cash that came from nowhere. Or at least being able to convince the cash register at checkout, that the empty Credstick you slotted is really full of funds. You get the basket full of goods, and the store is unaware until after you've driven away and dropped the power.
- - Res Channel feels somewhat wasted. There's so much fluff about the Resonance, how it's some mystical layer of data that connects all digital devices together. Which, if you were directing traffic through the Resonance, would theoretically mean you could communicate with devices anywhere. Perhaps even connecting with devices that have their usual wireless communication disabled. May be an interesting idea... even if you had to raise it up to an Echo. I'd definitely take an Echo that let me connect to devices that are otherwise "offline".

- I saw that some others had mentioned it already, but the Echoes need a buff as well. Nobody wants to go through the ordeal of Submergence, paying all that Karma (even when you account for the typo in the cost) if all they're getting is +1 to a single ASDF rating.
The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work…when you go to church…when you pay your taxes.

korusef

• Newb
« Reply #236 on: <08-04-15/1729:52> »
Echo for Resonance Projection
  • Prerequisite: Skin-link Echo
  • Technomancer is able to detach his persona from the location of his body, traveling directly to the devices to create direct connection with them.

TrueMisfit

• Newb
  • Not all trolls eat children...but I do
« Reply #237 on: <08-05-15/1521:21> »
The only thing I want them to fix about TMs is to clarify whether or not the cost for submersion is correct or not.

I know some people hand wave the cost and make it the same as initiation, but I have kept it as it is written in the book.  Catalsyt has had plenty of time to say something about the situation, but they haven't.  This had lad me to believe that it isn't a typo and is in fact the new cost.

I'd just like, for the sake of every other player, for this to be officially cleared up.
"...then all I remember was rolling around on the ground shouting about pizza and how I had eaten 500 snowflake stickers." - Misfit

Miri

• Newb
« Reply #238 on: <08-05-15/1750:06> »
The only thing I want them to fix about TMs is to clarify whether or not the cost for submersion is correct or not.

I know some people hand wave the cost and make it the same as initiation, but I have kept it as it is written in the book.  Catalsyt has had plenty of time to say something about the situation, but they haven't.  This had lad me to believe that it isn't a typo and is in fact the new cost.

I'd just like, for the sake of every other player, for this to be officially cleared up.

Does anyone actually play a Technomancer in your game? Cause I would retire any Technomancer I was playing in your game in a heartbeat when I hear that.

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #239 on: <08-05-15/2014:14> »
It's in the missions Errata:
Shouldn’t the cost for Submersion for technomancers be the same as Initiation for magical characters?
Yes. Submersion (p. 257, SR5) should cost 10 + (Grade x 3).