NEWS

Chummer for 5th Edition

• 1235 Replies

holtrick

• Newb
« Reply #1035 on: <04-14-17/1023:19> »
Quote from: TimTurry on (17:57:26/08-28-14)
I know 90+% of the effort has gone into Chargen.  This post has to do with mages AFTER chargen (spending karma) and Initiating.
This is what I tried to do, (and did not work for me):

1. Initiate tab-- <checked> "schooling", and hit "Add initiate Grade"  I was impressed that it (correctly) took 12 karma, and 10000 Ny from my totals.  Very cool.  Schooling however takes 5 weeks, and the calendar did not auto-advance (I know this is nitpicky)

2. same tab-- right-clicked "grade 1" to add a metamagic.  It would not let me add "Quickening"  unless I unchecked the box that only let me take legal metamagics. The error box said I need criteria: "Quickening"!

3. Calendar tab-- I manually advanced time 5 weeks.  My Lifestyle cost did not cost me any cash.

4.  Improvements tab-- select Quickening.  Forces me to give it a name and it does nothing.  Doing this did put a "quickening" button in the Spells tab! (good)

5. Spells tab-- click on my spell (Increase Reflexes) and hit the new "quickening" button.  It asks how many karma I want to spend (very nice), I hit 1, which it subtracts from my total, but nothing happens (my initiative score is unchanged, but I do lose a karma point).  Shouldn't it ask for the Force of the spell and how many successes it had, so it could modify the Initiative properly?

I know this is all advanced stuff, so I am just putting it on the list, for whenever...

Thanks for Chummer5.

1. I'm hesitant to auto-advance the calendar in any circumstance because it's possible that something happens during those 5 weeks other than just Initiation.  I might do something with the calendar at some future date to automatically insert values into it but that's a maybe at best.

2. Yes, under 5th Edition as listed in Street Grimoire you have to learn an Art first to gain access to a Metamagic.  So for the Quickening metamagic, you have to learn the Quickening art (I really wish they had named the metamagics and arts differently for those that share names between the art and metamagic).  If you're not using Street Grimoire or want to ignore the Art requirements, you can go to the Tools/Options menu, click on the House Rules tab, and select "Ignore Art Requirements from Street Grimoire".

3. The calendar will not automatically charge you for regular expenses like lifestyles or magical group memberships (or for that matter regular expenses for any addictions).  I might consider this for a feature enhancement farther down the road.

4. This one really gets resolved by #2.

5. Right now Chummer doesn't really understand the effects of the spells it lists.  So while it can handle the karma expenditure of the spell when quickening, it doesn't know what the spell does.  You can go to the Improvements tab and manually add the effects of the spell as an improvement and for now that's the best course for handling quickened spells.  However, there is also work underway to update Chummer so it understands temporary and conditional effects which would include spells among many other things (like drugs, toxins, wireless bonuses, some adept powers, and more).  This is part of the dashboard project that will collect information into one neat UI for handling your character during play.  But the side benefit is that we'll have spell information in place for use with Quickening.

I understand I should use the Improvements tab to handle the effects of quickened spells.  How do I adjust the Augmented Value of an attribute and not just the value.  In theory, if I quicken an improved attribute spell, it is raising the augmented value, no?  I don't see an improvement to adjust the augmented value.
« Last Edit: <04-14-17/1025:26> by holtrick »

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #1036 on: <04-14-17/1150:20> »
When building an AI, taking the Fragmentation quality lowers your Depth.  Your depth is not connected to your Essence, and the quality does not say it would be lowered.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #1037 on: <05-23-17/1801:35> »
...so not sure if I asked this before.  Does Chummer 5 no longer support 32 bit OS's as I get a "not a valid Win32 application" error when I try to start any of the newer versions up on an old XP notebook I have?  Or, is it just XP?

Most likely I will need to find a inexpensive (eg. refurbished or just used) notebook/netbook so I can use it at sessions instead of having to print off paper records as I no longer have access to a printer.  Unfortunately most older portable systems are only 32 bit, even W7 and Linux ones.
Forsaken daughter is watching you

Chummer 5 is Alive

• Omae
« Reply #1038 on: <05-24-17/0247:42> »
Oh that's lovely, the forums decided to load for once.

firebug, that issue should be fixed in current builds. From memory it was fixed in 5.192, it's definitely fixed in the current nightlies.

kyoto kid, Chummer currently requires .Net 4.5.1, which requires Vista SP2 at a minimum. You'd probably have a better time installing a Linux distro and running Mono or using teamviewer to remote onto another computer that has a more recent version of Windows.

Incidentally, and I do hope people aren't exclusively watching this thread for updates, but Chummer 5.193.0 is now available from https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases/tag/5.193.0. Changelogs are rather annoying to post on here, but it's mostly bug fixes. The current sprint for our nightly builds is focusing on changes to the adept powers system and how matching requirements is done, possibly building back in the base-level functionality required for shapeshifters and custom drugs, though I'll have to see how we progress with that.

Overall we're attempting to pivot towards a more MVVM design philosophy in which we remove a lot of the form-based logic in favour of accessible methods. In practice this doesn't mean much for you guys, but if you're using the nightly builds you may notice slightly more instability and quirky behaviour than normal.

Raven2049

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT "Special" Agent
« Reply #1039 on: <06-14-17/0627:04> »
i know it says that it was fixed in a nightly recently, but Hard Nanohives still cannot be added to cyberlimbs. they are not listed as an option in the add modification or add gear options. any thoughts?

Chummer 5 is Alive

• Omae
« Reply #1040 on: <06-14-17/0824:25> »
Nanohive is a cyberware object. Nanocybernetics category, 'Nanohive, Hard'.

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #1041 on: <06-16-17/0108:19> »
...been awhile,  Thanks for the info on why Chummer no longer works k in XP . It runs fine on my W7 workstation but can't lug that to sessions with me.  Did fond a workaround in that I just save the print file as a readable HTML file and transfer  it to the notebook I take with me,  Actually kind of nice that way as it's easier to look thing up than sifting through several hardcopy pages (especially for my character Leela who has a full page of just gear alone). 

That settled...

I am running into difficulty increasing my Adept's Magic attribute past her normal racial Maximum.  As she burned out one point for some minor bioware and a genmod at chargen, her racial maximum was lowered to 5.  Having saved the Karma up from several missions to do so, I finally looked to increase it to 6 however when I hover the cursor the "+" button a popup appears that reads "Improve to 5 for 35 Karma" even though the attribute value already is 5.    According to the magic section in the Core Book ([i"]Magic Basics"[/i] P. 278), it mentions that one can exceed the "natural" limit by having initiated with each grade adding +1 to this limit.  AS the character is a grade 5 initiate, her maximum limit should be 10 however in the  Common tab, it is still listed as 5. 

The other thing is, shouldn't that be 30 not 35 Karma to increase to 6?

I am currently using  ver. 189.  Is this a known issue, and if so has it been fixed in a later release?

Chummer 5 is Alive

• Omae
« Reply #1042 on: <06-16-17/0142:33> »
I'd have to see the file to know what the specific problem is, but the old attributes system was a fair chunk of a mess. It's been gutted and replaced in the current 5.190.x nightly builds, but if you're not keen on being a guinea pig I'd avoid those until I bump the build version, there's a lot of changes underway that aren't super stable.

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #1043 on: <06-16-17/0248:22> »
...so it isn't fixed yet in in the general .193. release. 

Not sure how to handle this as the character has the Karma to increase her Magic Attribute and I'd like to do that before the next mission.  That would give her another PP with which I'm looking to get Astral Perception which makes her more useful for surveillance.

After the next mission she would also have enough Karma to initiate which would allow her to cancel out up to a -6 modifier when Using Adept Centering.   Yeah dangerous as she's a sharpshooter who could take a blind shot with no DP penalty..

Chummer 5 is Alive

• Omae
« Reply #1044 on: <06-16-17/0256:57> »
Upload the file somewhere or email it to me at chummer5isalive@gmail.com, I'll take a look.

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #1045 on: <06-16-17/1706:16> »
...sent.

Chummer 5 is Alive

• Omae
« Reply #1046 on: <06-16-17/1943:25> »
Right, the tooltip is just wrong; that's been a consistent issue, but it's fixed with the attribute refresh. As for the karma cost itself the character has some 'base build' improvement that's applying a bonus to your MAG, but  you likely don't have the rule to increase karma costs for special attributes based on the shown value, so the karma cost is coming from the original value of 5.

Atlessa

• Newb
« Reply #1047 on: <06-17-17/1151:05> »
Just tried creating my own spell, the moment I hit 'OK' Chummer crashed. Tried again, same crash. Talked to my GM, he had the same problem with creating custom gear.

What files can I send you for troubleshooting?

Edit: Pulled the newest version and tried again, so apparently that's been fixed.  Don't mind me.

Edit2: I did come across another bug related to the above: Apparently the custom spell is still (from chummer 4, I assume) associated with the book "SM" which doesn't exist in chummer 5. This causes chummer to throw a "book not loaded" dialog when loading the character. Not a huge issue in itself, the character loads fine when asking chummer to do so, and I can easily modify the XML for now on my end, but I still think this should be corrected for everyone.
« Last Edit: <06-17-17/1235:52> by Atlessa »

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #1048 on: <06-17-17/1834:39> »
Right, the tooltip is just wrong; that's been a consistent issue, but it's fixed with the attribute refresh. As for the karma cost itself the character has some 'base build' improvement that's applying a bonus to your MAG, but  you likely don't have the rule to increase karma costs for special attributes based on the shown value, so the karma cost is coming from the original value of 5.
...yeah, the character was originally built in ver .176 and that was the only way I could increase her Magic with Karma as it kept telling me I needed 35K to raise it to 5.  So I added 1 to the attribute in the Improvements tab then just manually spent the Karma editing the reason as Raise MAG 4 -> 5.

I am currently going though and rebuilding the character from scratch (tedious process as she currently has over 250 Karma) using a copy of the original; Karma/Nuyen records as a "template" and stopped at the point where she increases her Magic Attribute to 5 as it is still trying to deduct 35 Karma.

The programme appears to treat Magic Loss as a "negative augmentation" rather than just a permanent straightforward reduction in rating value which I think is he root of the Karma cost issue. It should cost only 25 Karma to increase it back to 5. 

Now that I do now a little about working in and editing HTML files I will try to make the Karma adjustment directly in the character Chum5 file itself. after purchasing the new rating point (rather than using the Improvements tab) to see if that might work (of course saving a backup first so I don't have to rebuild Karma and Nuyen database and over again).  Not sure how to increase teh attribute to 6 though when I get to that point because Chummer is not adjusting the MAG Attribute Maximum by the character's Initiate Grade.

Not knowing present day programming/scripting (I'm from the days of "dead programming languages"), so not sure what to offer in the way of possible suggestions.
« Last Edit: <06-17-17/1838:31> by kyoto kid »

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #1049 on: <06-22-17/0353:37> »
...well apparently the latest version seems to work the way it should. . 

Most likely the issue was as mentioned above, that the character I was updating in .189 was built with an older version that still had some bugs in the attribute improvement routine which apparently became part of the character file as well.  This is the breaks of having such a long running character I guess. 

I decided to reconstruct the character from scratch in the latest version using the "broken" one as a guide for how the character was updated as I played her.   When I got to the point where I increased her MAG from 4 to 5, I still got the pop up that showed 35 Karma as the cost when I hovered the cursor over the button, but after clicking on it, the second message balloon that appeared confirmed 25 Karma. I clicked "OK" and then checked the Karma/Nuyen tab and indeed, only 25 Karma was applied.  In ver. .176 it didn't  work properly so that is why I used the Improvements tab and manually deducted the Karma as a workaround..

The next test was the first initiation grade. After adding the grade I flipped to the Common tab where indeed the Attribute maximum reflected the increase to 6   After finishing with the rebuild (took a couple evenings) I then when ahead and increased her MAG to 6. Again at first it indicated the Karma cost was 10 more than the actual (40) but after clicking the button and confirming the increase, the correct amount of 30 Karma was deducted.

So It looks as if everything is pretty much working fine, save for the text balloon that appears when hovering the cursor over the improvement button (this does not occur for other attributes, only Magic for some reason).