NEWS

Recoil refresh

• 6 Replies

Teknodragon

• Omae
« on: <11-26-10/1122:39> »
I thought I had it down, then a GM who is still transitioning to 4th edition managed to confuse me again: at what point do recoil penalties go away, when starting the next IP or when rolling initiative for the next combat round?  The difference becomes rather important to a rigger who has a Doberman wielding a White Knight.
Life is short, the night is long, and we still have ammo.

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #1 on: <11-26-10/1137:14> »
Quote from:  SR4A, pg. 152, Recoil
Weapons that fire more than one round in an Action Phase suffer from an escalating recoil modifier as the rounds leave the weapon. Semi-automatic weapons that fire a second shot receive a -1 dice pool modifier for the second shot only.
     Burst-fire weapons receive a -2 recoil modifier for the first burst fired in that Action phase and -3 for the second. Long bursts suffer -5 (first burst in phase) or -6 recoil (second). Full auto bursts suffer -9 recoil.

They could have simplified this by saying that recoil is cumulative, SA has no base recoil, Short Burst has -2, Long Burst -5, Full auto -9. The second time you fire a weapon in an action phase, you suffer an additional -1 penalty.

So to answer you question directly, we go look at combat turns.

Quote from:  SR4A, pg. 144, Combat Turn Sequence
Combat Turns may be broken up into a series of Initiative Passes if any character have the ability to take extra actions in a Combat Turn. The point during each Combat Turn when a specific Character can act is called an Action Phase.

So each time your initiative comes up during a combat turn, you get an Action Phase. This is further emphasized by the Sequence which follows (SR4A, pg. 144):
1. Roll Initiative
2. Begin First Initiative Pass
3. Begin Action Phase
4. Declare and Resolve Actions of Remaining Characters (repeat step 3 for each successive character, in descending initiative order)
5. Begin Next Initiative Pass (repeat steps 3 and 4 for characters with 2+ Initiative Passes)

Thus, the penalty only lasts for that specific initiative pass.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Teknodragon

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <11-26-10/1141:29> »
Oh, good, I'm not crazy, then.  Thanks for the refresher, Chaemera.
Life is short, the night is long, and we still have ammo.

inca1980

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <11-30-10/1610:33> »
I have a question:
Case 1:
Say i'm firing at one target only.  So then if I fire a long burst (simple), then a short burst (simple), the recoil is -5 on the first LB and then is it -7 on the short burst or -8?

Case 2:
Say I'm firing at 3 targets with a full burst.  That's 3 short bursts.  Is recoil -2 for the first one, -5 for the second and then -9, -8 or  -7 for the third?  On top of that I should get a -2 multiple target modifier for the 2nd SB, and then what about for the 3rd SB, would it be -2 or -4? 

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <11-30-10/1618:45> »
For an action, each shot past the first imposes a recoil modifier.  So, by your examples:

CASE 1:

The long burst produces a -5 recoil modifier, and the short burst (which is 3 more shots) would be a -8 (from 9 total bullets fired).

CASE 2:

The first short burst produces a -2 recoil modifier.  The second burst at the second target is a -5 (6 total bullets) along with a -2 for a second target for a total of -7 modifier.  The third target (a further -2 modifier, for a total of -4) will produce a total of -8 (for 9 bullets fired) recoil modifier, for a grand total of -12 dice pool modifier for targets and recoil.

Recoil compensation is your best friend.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #5 on: <11-30-10/1620:43> »
The easiest way to remember Recoil is to see how many bullets you fired and subtract one.

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #6 on: <11-30-10/1623:19> »
Recoil compensation is your best friend.
Yup.  And gas vents, grips, slings, lanyards, stocks (whether rigid or folding), smartlinks, custom grips, and laser sights aren't all that expensive either.  Hell, some of them (slings, lanyards, shock pads) are dirt cheap.