NEWS

Life imitates Shadowrun yet again - this time, smartguns.

• 8 Replies

AndyNakamura

• Chummer
  • Memetic Warfare Agent
« on: <01-17-14/1245:11> »
Apparently, already being tested by the US military.

http://defensetech.org/2014/01/15/u-s-military-begins-testing-smart-rifles
"If you are expecting a rousing speech, or a cunning plan that will get us out of this, I will have to disappoint you. I don't have any. We either do this, or we die. And the world dies with us."
"I paid quite a lot to get all of you here. I expect you to give me my money's worth. Shogun out."

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #1 on: <01-18-14/0150:28> »
Quote from the article:

The company has already sold about 500 of the rifles, mostly to wealthy safari hunters and elderly hunters, Schauble said.

Are these people that hunt the elderly?  Do you get bonus points if they're in a scooter moving more than 5 kph?
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <01-18-14/0435:06> »
Or if they drive way to slow on the highway on the middle lane while right line is completely free.  :)
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <01-18-14/1146:20> »
Interesting...thought I saw something on this late last year...really interesting video on YouTube showing how the rifle and tech work. Will do some digging to see if I can find it.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #4 on: <01-18-14/1750:11> »
Damn that's badass.  And it even says it can be applied to other firearms already.  And that it can send the info to laptops or smartphones?  I mean...  That's it.  That's a smartgun.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Ursus Maior

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <06-01-14/0713:45> »
Yes, it's on. This is thre really interesting part:

“Rifles can communicate with each other,” he said. “We can enable a more information-driven combat in the sense that you can tag targets. You can pass off those targets to someone else with a scope. There’s a whole layer of communication that comes with having a rifle that can designate and track targets.”

The system includes a Linux-powered computer in the scope with sensors that collect imagery and ballistic data such as atmospheric conditions, cant, inclination, even the slight shift of the Earth’s rotation known as the Coriolis effect. Because the computer is wireless-enabled, information can be streamed to a laptop, smart phone or tablet computer for spotting or to share intelligence.

Just calculating firing solutions is nothing new, we've had that in tanks for decades. But a portable FCS that shares it's data with networked systems attached to other weapons and even the mothership APC and rearward echelons, that's "network-centric warfare".
Liber et infractus

SlowDeck

• Ace Runner
  • How do people add personal text under their name?
« Reply #6 on: <06-01-14/1059:08> »
Life will imitate Shadowrun one more time when one of those networks is hacked.

And, yes, it will happen. The U.S. military's network security is well known for being laughable on a good day.
« Last Edit: <06-01-14/1108:03> by SlowDeck »
"Speech" Spirit/"Astral" Thought/"Subvocal" Matrix/"Commlink" "Totem" [Time/Date] <<Text&email>>

Ursus Maior

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <06-02-14/0318:12> »
Amen. And the US forces already have a cyber-security unit. There are quite a couple of nations that lack such units, especially in larger numbers.
Liber et infractus

Ursus Maior

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <07-07-14/1446:58> »
Another VERY cool future tech brought to you by Skunk Works. Yepp, again:

http://www.codeonemagazine.com/article.html?item_id=118

The Skunk Works ARES is a UAV that "is an unmanned VTOL flight module system capable of transporting a variety of payloads. ARES has a unique design that allows it to adapt to multiple missions with interchangeable payloads; including medical evacuation units, cargo pods, a tactical ground vehicle, troops, and armed scout, reconnaissance and strike capabilities."

Need to transport your 4WD, supplies for that isolated outpost or casualities? Just strap'em under the Ares and they're good to go. Or put a mission module (sensors) under it. :)
Liber et infractus