NEWS

Creating a hacker

• 42 Replies

Dakka

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <11-22-10/1852:13> »
Second hand Cyberware rules can be found in Augmentation, 1.2 Essence multiplier for 50% cost.

_-Target-_

• Newb
« Reply #16 on: <11-22-10/1911:31> »
Bah who needs all that silly essence, doesn't do me any good...

I thought hte 2nd hand stuff was optional, I am still very new at SR, and I have literally like 2 feet of books to read and only limited time to read them

Yes I bought every SR 4 book by catalyst, even though I don't GM at this point.. of course I can barely get through the stuff I need to understand, let alone cheat by reading the modules..

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #17 on: <11-22-10/1949:49> »
Bah who needs all that silly essence, doesn't do me any good...
Then don't go whinig when your shaman won't be able to heal you...
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

_-Target-_

• Newb
« Reply #18 on: <11-22-10/2137:43> »
What is a shamen, Magic is a fairy tale.

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #19 on: <11-23-10/0615:28> »
Yeah. And healing is a lie. As is the cake...
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #20 on: <11-23-10/0746:00> »
Sure looks tasty, though.

if the healing mage can't suck up -5 to the dicepool something went wrong already ;)
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

theKernel

• Omae
  • I believe you like it served cold -Matador
« Reply #21 on: <11-23-10/1734:20> »
Guys, like I said, siiiimple and no one has touched on the full immersion thing
HACK THE PLANET
Theres no place like 127.0.0.1
Always start and end character creation by asking yourself "why is this character not an ork." If you don't have a good answer you should be an ork. -UmaroVI
"Stay at least one lie ahead of everyone else"-Vitriol
SR4+++hbB?!Wdk++o+++++M+P-

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #22 on: <11-23-10/1747:17> »
Guys, like I said, siiiimple and no one has touched on the full immersion thing

Full immersion is purely a lifestyle which means you pay out the ass to never actually be on the scene of the run.

Quote from:  Unwired, pg. 38, Full Immersion
This lifestyle is for those who wish to live in a virtual environment all their waking lives. These people have literally left the meat behind and exist only as their digital personae. They trust the care of their bodies to medical professionals, who keep them on elective life support. Hydration, oxygenation, nutrition, excretion, muscle toning, and every other aspect of long-term care are handled by drones or trained personnel, all while the client interacts with the rest of the world via VR or by jumping into drones. A character with this lifestyle also enjoys the benefits of the Hospitalized lifestyle, but must still cover extra costs for treatment or surgery.
Cost: 30,000¥ a month

So, if you're not netting 30k a month, you'll soon be out of your VR only life and stuck running in the meat. Also, weren't you the one to complain about your GM disliking the Matrix? This seems a very bad choice on your part if this is the case. Sure, he's gonna try learning the rules, but still.

Long and short, the only thing people should consider leaving out of their advice to you )as relates to full-immersion) is bits on surviving in the meat. Everything else they've said is valid. You still need a commlink, with a pile of good programs. And some serious bio/nano/cyber ware wouldn't hurt you, either.

On the other hand, full-immersion means that any time your team goes high-sec, they'll have to string out toasters to keep you involved in the run, since a good high-sec area will be isolated from the wider Matrix. This leaves you tenuously (at best) connected to the game. Frankly, full immersion is a bad idea for a new player, with a new GM (who is uncomfortable with the Matrix rules), in many running situations.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

theKernel

• Omae
  • I believe you like it served cold -Matador
« Reply #23 on: <11-23-10/1759:16> »
Haha ;Dthat waaaas me but this is more of a idea than a plan. But that is a good point on the immersion, dumb idea to go down that road. If anone would be willing to photocopy their hacker so I could see all this augmenttation written down (nanos and stuff) I would apreciate it. I just need to see it lol.
HACK THE PLANET
Theres no place like 127.0.0.1
Always start and end character creation by asking yourself "why is this character not an ork." If you don't have a good answer you should be an ork. -UmaroVI
"Stay at least one lie ahead of everyone else"-Vitriol
SR4+++hbB?!Wdk++o+++++M+P-

_-Target-_

• Newb
« Reply #24 on: <11-24-10/1407:45> »
Back on Page 1, someone chimed in with tons of stuff to get in detail, I am new, and I made notes..

That build has more matrix dice then I do by 3 or 4 dice, and I have earned like 36 karma or something... I am going to remake a hacker, not my hacker per say since I have been playing him a couple months now, but next time someone in my group wants a hacker I will have this guy done.. 

IE read the post everything on page one is spelled out, I wish I had this info 2-3 months ago.

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #25 on: <11-24-10/1912:43> »
Back on Page 1, someone chimed in with tons of stuff to get in detail, I am new, and I made notes..

That build has more matrix dice then I do by 3 or 4 dice, and I have earned like 36 karma or something... I am going to remake a hacker, not my hacker per say since I have been playing him a couple months now, but next time someone in my group wants a hacker I will have this guy done.. 

IE read the post everything on page one is spelled out, I wish I had this info 2-3 months ago.

In the mean time, just pick up a drug habit. 

Overdrive (X-cyte)
Duration: (10 – Body) hours, minimum 1 hour
Effect: +1 Reaction, +1 to all Logic-linked skills
From the steamy jungle pharmacopoeia of Latin America
comes a central nervous stimulant with sizzle. At the end of this
drug’s duration, users suffer 8S damage (unresisted). Aside from
a few brain damaged hacker junkies who complain that overdrive
causes nosebleeds, most users of the so-called “hacker drug” report
few side effects other than a pleasant tingling across the forebrain
and the sudden crash. Certain long-term users who seem more
profoundly affected by overdrive have exhibited signs of psychosis,
but the true long-term effects of the drug are unknown.

or, if you're an offsite/full immersion/rigger cocoon type:

Trance (Toadstone, Zuvembie Powder)
Duration: (6 – Body) hours, minimum 1 hour
Effect: +1 Intuition, +2 to all Logic-linked skills, Paralysis (see below)
A paralytic neurotoxin secreted by an Awakened Latin
American tree frog, trance is oft en erroneously sold as an opiate.
Popular with hackers, magicians, and other professions that don’t
require excessive movement, trance causes paralysis and a speeding
up of the higher brain functions (treat as a Toxin Resistance Test
with a Power of 10, a Speed of 1 minute, and the Duration listed
above; see Paralysis, p. 245, SR4). At the end of the duration, users
remain paralyzed for an equivalent duration. This paralysis only
affects voluntary muscle groups; breathing and other autonomous
functions are not affected.

But cheap, used nanohives aren't particularly hard to find.  Just hard to fit essence-wise without a cyberlimb.

PuSHeD is easy and cheap enough.  A rating 1 Encephalon is also a relatively small expense for a well worked hacker.

You'll be throwing fistfulls of dice in no time at all.
« Last Edit: <11-24-10/1917:11> by Kontact »

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #26 on: <11-26-10/1955:26> »
I don't get the attraction to the Full Immersion Lifestyle.  It just makes things harder on your team and, without a decent background, you looking like a lazy mooch.  For me, it would just take some of the fun out of it anyway.  Cracking a system while bullets ping off the walls and your team bogs down CorpSec always seemed like half the attraction for playing a hacker to me.

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #27 on: <11-27-10/1417:54> »
I don't get the attraction to the Full Immersion Lifestyle.  It just makes things harder on your team and, without a decent background, you looking like a lazy mooch.  For me, it would just take some of the fun out of it anyway.  Cracking a system while bullets ping off the walls and your team bogs down CorpSec always seemed like half the attraction for playing a hacker to me.

Not to mention the kinda heavy-handed advice they give GM's about secure facilities: protect the critical systems by separating them from the wider matrix, thus denying the ability for anyone to connect without being physically present. Not that I object to that advice, it's common sense and standard security for anything involving state/corporate secrets.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #28 on: <11-27-10/1516:39> »
Indeed.  And there's also the problem of vulnerability that Full Immersion leaves you with.  Your meat is really damn vulnerable with that Lifestyle.  You'd have make damn sure to fork over a lot of nuyen for really good security.  Otherwise you could suddenly go quiet mid-run as some Corp squad backtracks you to your place, or even some wannabe street hood breaks in, and caps your ass.  Personally, I like having the option to run away.

Nomad Zophiel

• Omae
  • Zophiel by name. Nomad by profession.
« Reply #29 on: <11-27-10/1814:04> »

Not to mention the kinda heavy-handed advice they give GM's about secure facilities: protect the critical systems by separating them from the wider matrix, thus denying the ability for anyone to connect without being physically present. Not that I object to that advice, it's common sense and standard security for anything involving state/corporate secrets.

Well, physically present means someone has to be physically present. If its the hacker, its simple. Otherwise someone else has to link in and (probably with a sat link) fight their way through any sort of ECM to be a conduit node for the 'Runner. Decker-In-A-Box isn't a new concept but in 2072 the corps are ready for it.