NEWS

SR5 matrix / online bonus and the wifi inhibitating building or deserted area

• 186 Replies

Baquette

• Newb
« on: <06-17-13/1856:57> »
What happens with the item/cyberware online bonuses if the runner team enters a wifi inhibitating building or leave the city zone (deserted area, desert, Z slum), with only their own devices in signal range (and no "Matrix" connection?

Can any of the authors (Bull, Patrick, Critias  etc ...) say anything about it? Everything gone for good? Was that discussed during development? Are there any workarounds, except the satellite dish between your "/(§"/" for your reaction enhancer? Or is it working as intended?

MfG
« Last Edit: <06-17-13/1904:51> by Baquette »

StarManta

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <06-17-13/1906:55> »
Well, first of all, a "wifi inhibited building" doesn't inhibit connections between different nodes that are all inside it; it generally only blocks connections to the outside world. So the connection from your gun to your commlink is unhindered.

Second, I haven't run the numbers, but at such a short range, I don't think a Jammer would have enough effect to block it.

Third, (at least in my interpretation), having "wireless on" doesn't automatically mean that our gear is actually wireless, only that it's accessible wirelessly in some way. For example, your gun is skinlinked to your commlink, it can still have "wireless on" because your commlink can be hacked wirelessly, and your gun is linked to your commlink. In practice, there's not actually much difference between a gun wirelessly slaved to a commlink and a gun skinlinked and slaved to a commlink; in either case, you have to hack the commlink and then you have access to the gun.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #2 on: <06-17-13/1911:59> »
I think the OP's question is "do you get Wireless Bonuses in those situations?"

Which is relevant because if not suddenly your Wired Reflexes and Reaction Enhancers stop stacking.

-k

Baquette

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <06-17-13/1913:45> »
So the connection from your gun to your commlink is unhindered.

Maybe, but as far as I understand the rules (from forum quotes) you need not to be connected to your commlink, your devices need to be connected to the matrix. Which you canīt in a desert or a inhibitating building. Which consequently mean that you loose all online bonuses for all your items and implants.

MfG

StarManta

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <06-17-13/1935:31> »
I think the OP's question is "do you get Wireless Bonuses in those situations?"

Which is relevant because if not suddenly your Wired Reflexes and Reaction Enhancers stop stacking.

Well, I didn't spell it out, but what I was getting at is that if you walk into a Faraday Cage, your wireless-enabled gear won't be affected, because it's still perfectly connected to your commlink.

Baquette

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <06-17-13/1936:48> »
But connected to your commlink does not give you any online bonuses (like reaction enhancer working with wired reflexes or vision enhancements having bonus dices)

MfG

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #6 on: <06-17-13/1938:05> »
. For example, your gun is skinlinked to your commlink

Just as a note...  There's no SKinlink is the SR5 Core Rulebook :)

Bull

bannockburn

• Chummer
  • BGMfH
« Reply #7 on: <06-17-13/1938:31> »
That's not :)
That's :(
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup
http://bannockburn1981.deviantart.com/

Baquette

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <06-17-13/1939:56> »

What about cable? Unknown the world as well?

MfG

StarManta

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <06-17-13/1941:31> »
But connected to your commlink does not give you any online bonuses (like reaction enhancer working with wired reflexes or vision enhancements having bonus dices)

MfG

It doesn't matter whether your Reaction Enhancers can see the matrix. It matters only that they can see your personal WAN.

Baquette

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <06-17-13/1942:23> »
Is that a quote from the rule book? Because the blog and the other freelances indicated that you need to be connected to the matrix, not only to your PAN.

MfG

StarManta

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <06-17-13/1943:11> »

What about cable? Unknown the world as well?

MfG

In fact, the advent of technomancers has made hardwired networks make a comeback in the world. Every cyberdeck (and I think commlinks too?) includes some length of data cable, and longer cables are available cheaply.

bannockburn

• Chummer
  • BGMfH
« Reply #12 on: <06-17-13/1943:37> »
Is that a quote from the rule book? Because the blog and the other freelances indicated that you need to be connected to the matrix, not only to your PAN.

Also, one other poster who apparently bought the book.
But that's all 2nd hand without quotable material for now.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup
http://bannockburn1981.deviantart.com/

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #13 on: <06-17-13/1946:01> »
I'll have to read the rules to see what it exactly is like, and see it in play, but so far my concerns haven't been alleviated. I like limits, accuracy, marks, higher dodge pools, priority, direct vs indirect spells, drain changes, 1 attack per IP, the equalizing of offensive magic/melee/ranged, proper armor on low-body characters, faster hacking and all that. The wireless bonuses, especially given how hackers already get faster hacking and tough combats will easily take 5x~10x as long, are the one flaw I see so far in SR5. Skinlink being gone is rather cruel too, it kinda rubs things in even more.
StarManta says one thing, but KarmaInferno quotes the book to another tune and it's rather confusing.

Fortunately, even if my worst fears come true it will be doable to figure out decent houserules, by adding other ways for hackers to mess with people and simply eliminating some of these bonuses. And the rest of the edition sounds like I will really enjoy it. Though maybe grenades are a bit messy, but I'll have to read the full rules to see how those are exactly supposed to work.

Edit: Thought Skinlink was Unwired so removed that part for a sec, but it was core in SR4.
« Last Edit: <06-17-13/2002:22> by Michael Chandra »
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Baquette

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <06-17-13/1950:50> »

And what is the ingame- and offgame reasoning for that? To bring everyone online? Or to force cables on your character?

MfG