NEWS

Elven Adept with a charming personality, he shoots fast and talks faster

• 11 Replies

HMelrose

• Newb
  • Find a crew. Get a Job. Keep Running.
« on: <06-21-16/1617:49> »
I am playing Avery 'Locke' Frey, an Elven Adept with a charming personality, he shoots fast and talks faster. Here's his Herolab and pdf file for review. Thanks!
https://goo.gl/yYpo2S

I played at Comicpalooza this past weekend for the first time in years. I had a blast traveling into the Chicago CZ and I know of a few others who would like to join in on some adventures. I'm looking for active players and a few good GM's willing to run the shadows with me in the North Houston, Texas area.

#Houston #Texas
#TheWoodlands
#SpringTexas
#HarrisCounty
Houston Shadowrun on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1727036367534591/

facebook.com/hmelrose
twitter.com/hmelrose

adzling

« Reply #1 on: <06-22-16/1910:35> »
this post should go into "looking for games"

HMelrose

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <06-27-16/1950:46> »
I want comments on my character Adzling. As this is my first character in the Shadowrun world in over 15 years.

I did also mention that I'm looking for a game.

facebook.com/hmelrose
twitter.com/hmelrose

drakir

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <06-28-16/1629:04> »
Why waste points on running? You are already really fast with Agility 7. Move points to Perception or raise your social skills.
I would not spend precious adept points on accuracy. Your Crusader has 7 Acc with personalized grip and smart gun. Should be enough.

Otherwise nicely built character. I would maybe put 2 karma in Locksmith.

HMelrose

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <06-29-16/0042:54> »
Why waste points on running? You are already really fast with Agility 7. Move points to Perception or raise your social skills.
I would not spend precious adept points on accuracy. Your Crusader has 7 Acc with personalized grip and smart gun. Should be enough.

Otherwise nicely built character. I would maybe put 2 karma in Locksmith.

Thank you, Without one point in running I only get six dice, right? I didn't realize that I used a point on accuracy. I may change that if I did. He's my first build in well over 15 years for Shadowrun, and a good friend helped me out, but we're both still new getting back into the system.  Locksmith would have helped in the Chicago scenario I played in at Comicpalooza.

facebook.com/hmelrose
twitter.com/hmelrose

Kuirem

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <06-29-16/0813:47> »
Thank you, Without one point in running I only get six dice, right?

Yes you only get 6 dice because you default a skill. It should be noted that getting a skill to level 1 is only 2 Karma so it is pretty easy to afford after a single mission or even at chargen if you have some karma left. Do not waste a skill points in it. Also taking a single point into the Athletics skill group could be a good idea since it still cheap (5 Karma) and will raise Running, Gymnastics and Swimming which are useful skill for everyone but you rarely need to throw tons of dice for.

drakir

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <06-29-16/1048:54> »
Running is actually Strength so without skill: 1 die.   But my point is with Agi 7 you walk 14 meter/turn and run 28 meter/turn. Sprinting (which is using the Running skill to get even more speed)  gives 2 meter extra per turn per success .

That means you run a lot faster than a human (or elf or ork) Sprinting with Agility 4 and Running skill pool of 6! (Actually they can exactly keep up with you IF they have 3 passes and sprint every phase.)

Add to that  sprinting is a complex action meaning you can't do anything else that phase.

In my opinion, Running is a really bad skill, especially for a high Agility character. Maybe for a high Strength Troll that needs to get clos to somebody

To put 5 karma in Athletics might be a good idea but mostly for the swimming and Gymnastics part, and you get the running as an extra bonus.

When I think about it, what's your priority for skills? If it's C then you should have two group skill points unspent. Could go to Athletics.
« Last Edit: <06-29-16/1102:57> by drakir »

Demoyn

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <06-29-16/1349:45> »
Just for reference, his priority is attributes, meta, magic, resources, skills.  Also, the enhanced accuracy was free with the dragonslayer mentor spirit, which was chosen more for the +2 etiquette dice and, to a lesser extent, danger sense.

That's a very good point about the run skill.  Taking the athletics skill group won't work, though, because he'd have an odd number in swimming.  He already has gymnastics, so it would still end up better just exchanging running for swimming straight up if that were the thinking.  I'm thinking that re-purposing those points to either pilot ground craft (for 10 dice) or  locksmith (8 dice), first aid (6 dice), and leadership (8 dice) would be a better overall value, but other than driving those dice are a bit low even for tertiary skills.

Kuirem

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <06-29-16/1433:04> »
Running is actually Strength so without skill: 1 die.   But my point is with Agi 7 you walk 14 meter/turn and run 28 meter/turn. Sprinting (which is using the Running skill to get even more speed)  gives 2 meter extra per turn per success .

That means you run a lot faster than a human (or elf or ork) Sprinting with Agility 4 and Running skill pool of 6! (Actually they can exactly keep up with you IF they have 3 passes and sprint every phase.)

Add to that  sprinting is a complex action meaning you can't do anything else that phase.

In my opinion, Running is a really bad skill, especially for a high Agility character. Maybe for a high Strength Troll that needs to get clos to somebody

To put 5 karma in Athletics might be a good idea but mostly for the swimming and Gymnastics part, and you get the running as an extra bonus.

When I think about it, what's your priority for skills? If it's C then you should have two group skill points unspent. Could go to Athletics.

But you are thinking about a situation where you are in a fight trying to kill your enemies. But this is Shadowrun, sometimes (often) you will end up in situations where the best thing to do is to run away (Self-Destruct lab, massive Lone Star attack, Dragon...) in those situations even those little extra dice to run away might be critical, hell if you are in a really difficult terrain the GM might ask for a Running test even if you are not sprinting. Running also directly affect the time you can run (Body + Running) x 10 so even if you have an amazing agility if your body is a bit low you might get tired quickly (well here the character have 5 body so he should be fine).

2 Karma is really cheap and give 2 extra dice to running test but well if you are THAT karma starved you can always pick it up after your first mission.
« Last Edit: <06-29-16/1504:57> by Kuirem »

adzling

« Reply #9 on: <06-29-16/2234:11> »
It's a pretty good build imho

I'd consider:
- drop increased accuracy: automatics (you can get + accuracy much easier via mods to your weapon), mebbe replace it with 1 level of Authoritative Tone to goose all your social skills)
- swap two level of increased skill: automatics and replace with 1 level of increase agility (it will synergize with your other skills & agile defender better in exchange for a small loss of offense)
- kill danger sense, you get a free perception check against surprise via combat sense, put the quarter point into ultrasound sense

-ettiquette of 5 is a bit of a waste imho, 2 would be fine, stick the rest in Sneak or Perception.
-i agree about dropping running to 1 or kill it entirely. put the points in Con.

HMelrose

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <06-29-16/2346:55> »
updated to Avery Frey v2 link to pdf below.

@Demonyn took off running and changed it to driving.  This also has the proper contacts on it.  He had changed my contacts before the Comicpalooza convention but hadn't send me an updated file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6NcbrfGm70nUC1GdFBDVEFzVjQ/view?usp=sharing

This guy did very well as a Face with negotiations and conning, while still dealt out some damage with his stun baton. We made it through 5A-01 with only a single brief combat and completed all the objectives earning:

+7 Karma
14,000 Nuyen each
+1 Street Cred
Contacts: (4 new)

facebook.com/hmelrose
twitter.com/hmelrose

HMelrose

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <07-01-16/1202:43> »
Please tell me if this is correct (Please note most of the work is being done by @Demoyn:
For my missions calendar, week one I went on the mission (5A-01 Chasin' the Wind).  On week two I "work for the people", trading 10,000 nuyen for 5 karma.

I bought a platinum credstick (500), a miniwelder (250), a lockpick set (250), metal restraints (20), and 10 plastic restraints (5).  I upgraded locksmith skill twice for 10 karma.

As far as future advances go, I'm thinking I should upgrade automatics one more point, then move to increasing con, negotiation, perception, clubs, etiquette, and sneaking.  I could also use two points of running and two points of swimming, but that seems to be of a lesser priority (but also much cheaper).

Avery Frey v3 pdf file
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6NcbrfGm70nS3ZIbVgzTXd2S2R5amlESTFyX2F2c3laWXE0

Avery Frey v3 Herolab .por file
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6NcbrfGm70nRDlubk9obFN0N3R6bllPNWcwUkhDQVdnS3NN

facebook.com/hmelrose
twitter.com/hmelrose