NEWS

Query's Regarding VR Combat.

• 1 Replies

Jharakn

• Newb
« on: <11-03-13/1512:09> »
Hello All,

I’m a new GM looking to get my first campaign planned out, I’ve some questions about how bits of matrix combat work some I’m hoping you’ll be able to clarify the rules for me mostly regarding combat in full VR inside a host. So without further ado let’s fire up the questions, I apologies about the length of these questions. It’s difficult to wrap my head around these issues so it takes a fair few words to explain it.

Question 1: How are Attack and Sleaze actions perceived by player characters? My assumption is that an attack action whether it succeeds or fails will be noticed by the target, whereas a successful sleaze action is invisible. How does work against my party, for example I have an enemy decker who targets one of my players with a hack on the fly action, I need to test hacking + logic [sleaze] vs my players intuition + firewall. If I ask him to roll up he’ll immediately be suspicious so do I roll for him?

Question 2: where does a decker appear if he direct connects to a piece of equipment inside a host? My understanding is that under normal circumstances the data flow (like an IP trace) goes decker > his chosen grid > the grid the host is on > the host. So even if he’s inside the building but connecting wirelessly he’s accessing a grid outside of the building and then tunnelling into the host. However what if he directly connects to a piece of equipment that’s part of the host. Is he now connected directly to that host and has bypassed any of the grids which would mean he doesn’t need to add a mark to access the host as he’s already inside plus he won’t accrue any overwatch points for illegal activity as he’s not functioning on a grid?

Question 3: how is the virtual space inside a host visualised by ICE? My assumption here is that from an ICE perspective a host is like a bit open box, the only protection the hacker has is to try to blend into all the other icons, so if he gets randomly picked by a patrol ICE he needs to use the hide action, probe ICE would mean erase mark etc. How can a security spider then track you if you do manage to hide your icon again, is his only option left to flood the host with patrol ICE and continue picking icons at random and hope he hits you again?

Hope you guys can help me out.

Thank you. 

MaxKojote

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <11-03-13/1645:52> »
Incidentally for question 1:

Failed Attack action isn't noticed because the Attack bounced off against the firewall. And the firewall auto-responds by sending damaging code to the attacker. The owner is not notified.
Spoken
Thoughts
Matrix
Astral

Fang (Auburn Logrolling)