NEWS

[OOC] New Beginnings-Horizon

• 2029 Replies

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1755 on: <02-04-16/0429:58> »
Need to make sure you understand the consequences of your character's actions Necro.

O'Connor gave up on the aerial drone and targeted the drone on the ground.

Simple Action: Wide Long Burst

Wide: - 5 to Defense

[/spoiler]

You are doing a 'spray and pray' on the street, yes, people are hiding, but they have not cleared the field of fire.  It isn't a case of if, but how many civilians you will hit.

Thvor

• Omae
« Reply #1756 on: <02-04-16/1017:29> »
Sam's initiative: REA(2)+INT(5): 7d6t5+7 8

...as always, he's a little slow to react.  :P But he'll probably be trying to act like everyone else--running for cover, etc. Which I'm guessing is going to require a disguise test, though I have no idea what sort of modifier one gets for trying to act like part of a panicking mob when someone nearby goes crazy and starts firing full automatics around the street. :o

His goal will be to try to get to one of our known targets without drawing attention to himself, probably by slipping up the nearest stairs.
Colors: Speech Thoughts Matrix Astral

Like sci-fi/fantasy? Check out my wife's books!

Necrogigas

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1757 on: <02-04-16/1212:18> »
Need to make sure you understand the consequences of your character's actions Necro.

O'Connor gave up on the aerial drone and targeted the drone on the ground.

Simple Action: Wide Long Burst

Wide: - 5 to Defense

[/spoiler]

You are doing a 'spray and pray' on the street, yes, people are hiding, but they have not cleared the field of fire.  It isn't a case of if, but how many civilians you will hit.

You're doing a good job clearing the street, wrong there are still lots of people around.

Maybe you should use accurate descriptions, instead of being a condescending prick when I make decisions based on your misinformation.

Post fucking edited.
« Last Edit: <02-04-16/1331:50> by Necrogigas »
"Speech" *Thought* <Matrix> ~Astral~

Characters

HydroRaven

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1758 on: <02-04-16/1742:45> »
Clem's initiative:

Initiative Round 2 ~ Intuition 4 + Reaction 7: 11d6t5 4 No glitches.

So Clem stands at 15 with 3 passes.
Self thought
Speech
Matrix

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1759 on: <02-04-16/1911:05> »
Okay...

Taking a step back here.

I guess I missed a shift in tone, I was trying to enjoy the situation as it stands, sorry if I was flippant. I am also sorry that I used creative license that you mistook for tactical input.

Less than 3 seconds have passed since the explosion, between that and the gunfire, once they have a chance to get the hell out of dodge, people will make themselves scarce, or take cover, but that doesn't mean there will not be collateral damage to your character doing a 'spray and pray' at street level.

I know it is frustrating to have wasted a turn firing at the rotor drone, and this has been a strange bit to get through, but if there is a problem, speak plainly.  That goes for anyone.

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1760 on: <02-05-16/0151:11> »
I feel that the opposition is very strong.  I don't know if that's like this in the books (if I recall correctly, this is a pre-written campaign) or if you have toughened them up.  But in most fights, I feel we get our asses kicked.  In some that's normal, but this time we tried something intelligent, everybody should have a -5 dice pool to perception, and still they seem to see us without any issue.  I find that strange and I feel like most of my powers are completely useless. 

My stunbolt the same.  I hit someone with something that should drop them and they shrug it off as if it isn't there.  I deliberately made a character with a very good backstory and not a min-max, but I feel the opposition is min-maxed against most things I can do.  Maybe they are written like that, but it gets frustrating from time to time.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

HydroRaven

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1761 on: <02-05-16/0252:08> »
I wish my character had her shotgun...
Self thought
Speech
Matrix

Thvor

• Omae
« Reply #1762 on: <02-05-16/1629:26> »
As with Farothel, I'm having a bit of trouble believing the luck the bad guys seem to be enjoying. Con just fired a narrow long burst and then three wide long bursts from a full automatic at what's been described as a rotodrone. Granted, he hasn't rolled anything spectacular, but with a -5 to the drone's dice pool from the wide bursts, it seems amazing that he hasn't made contact.

• The first attack may or may not have qualified for the "Defender unaware of attack" modifier (SR4a, p.159), but with Sammy's spirit cloaking us, it seems like it easily could have.
  • Con wasn't surprised by the drone, which implies that he scored more than the drone on the surprise check. But then the drone shouldn't have been able to fire a smoke grenade back at Con in the first pass. The ambushing modifier would give the drone +6 on the test, but since we were approaching hidden, it's hard to justify that it (or its operator) would have been "aware of the movement and actions" of our group, so it would still have had to go through the surprise test.
  • Range shouldn't be much of an issue, since your average city street block is less than 200 meters. I'm not sure what rifle Con's shooting, but that's a -1 DP at most.
  • Drones dodge with pilot + handling; for the MCT-Nissan Roto-drone from the book, that's a total of 3 dice, which would diminish each time Con attacks it. A -5 DP to that should result in a nearly automatic hit. Going through the listings in Arsenal, I don't see any drones at all with a pilot+handling greater than 5.
  • If it's on full defense, it gets to add its defense auto-soft if it even has one, but it can't be using full defense for more initiative passes than it gets (and it took an action on the first pass, so it clearly wasn't on full defense then).

In short, this drone seems to be in the hands of an angel. :P

On the other hand, I do agree with Crossbow that there hasn't been enough time for the streets to clear yet--our team are trained runners, and none of us have gotten the chance to respond at all; it's pretty inconceivable that the hoi poloi around us would be able to totally clear out that quickly. 8)
Colors: Speech Thoughts Matrix Astral

Like sci-fi/fantasy? Check out my wife's books!

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1763 on: <02-05-16/2008:32> »
To cover your points specifically:

• The first attack may or may not have qualified for the "Defender unaware of attack" modifier (SR4a, p.159), but with Sammy's spirit cloaking us, it seems like it easily could have.

Spirit's concealment wouldn't protect from mechanical sensors so the drones (and any jumped in rigger) can see them.

• Con wasn't surprised by the drone, which implies that he scored more than the drone on the surprise check. But then the drone shouldn't have been able to fire a smoke grenade back at Con in the first pass. The ambushing modifier would give the drone +6 on the test, but since we were approaching hidden, it's hard to justify that it (or its operator) would have been "aware of the movement and actions" of our group, so it would still have had to go through the surprise test.
Ambusher does indeed get the bonus, and the rigger could respond.
  • Range shouldn't be much of an issue, since your average city street block is less than 200 meters. I'm not sure what rifle Con's shooting, but that's a -1 DP at most.
For the first and second shots, range was -1.  He also specified firing from cover, which is an additional -2, technically since he declared his movement as running for the turn after pass 2 for the entire turn that should have applied as well, but it wasn't relevant.

• Drones dodge with pilot + handling; for the MCT-Nissan Roto-drone from the book, that's a total of 3 dice, which would diminish each time Con attacks it. A -5 DP to that should result in a nearly automatic hit. Going through the listings in Arsenal, I don't see any drones at all with a pilot+handling greater than 5.
Jumped in rigger uses his skills and gets a bonus for full VR
  • If it's on full defense, it gets to add its defense auto-soft if it even has one, but it can't be using full defense for more initiative passes than it gets (and it took an action on the first pass, so it clearly wasn't on full defense then).

Any character fired on can abort to full defense, losing it's next action to go on defense.  With the modifiers I mentioned before, Con had 1 hit on the second and third shots.  Even with a dice pool of -5 it is not mathematically unusual to get a single success on back to back rolls.
I wish my character had her shotgun...

It seems like a long time, but you placed the order less than a week ago, game time, Clem is supposed to be stoic and patient.  :)

I feel that the opposition is very strong.  I don't know if that's like this in the books (if I recall correctly, this is a pre-written campaign) or if you have toughened them up.  But in most fights, I feel we get our asses kicked.

You guys have come through 3 fights I can remember where you were outnumbered and ended up barely scratched. Sammy has ENDED two fights through her spells and has consistently kept misfortune at bay at other times, in and out of conflict.  I know you guys are coming off the ambush, and that put you on edge, but you have not been seriously pressed outside of that.
  Maybe they are written like that, but it gets frustrating from time to time.

I will speak candidly about the prewritten adventure, it is crap, but I haven't significantly upgraded the opposition.  You just need to have a little faith in me.  I am not interested in playing a TPK, but it is a scarily lethal game sometimes.

All that said, in the interest of expedience and measure of desire for the ability to use a GM's fiat if I need to, I have stopped rolling my dice online. That may be an error but I made that choice so I could roll real dice and just post results, plus it was easier to work on the game AFB at the job.

Necrogigas

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1764 on: <02-05-16/2157:31> »
He also specified firing from cover, which is an additional -2
As you saw I did not take the -2 in my calculations because I wasn't taking cover I was just using artistic license in my descriptions.
See how bullshit that sounds?

Characters

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1765 on: <02-05-16/2306:46> »
He also specified firing from cover, which is an additional -2
As you saw I did not take the -2 in my calculations because I wasn't taking cover I was just using artistic license in my descriptions.
See how bullshit that sounds?

Yeah I do, and I think I already apologized for the confusion, if I didn't I am now.  I kept you from making a mistake based on my description, had I shot at Con without accounting for the cover that would have been a different story.

I think we are cool at this point so I am going to finish resolving the round and move on, but I am not trying to shut this down by doing so, we can continue this as we go.

HydroRaven

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1766 on: <02-06-16/0123:54> »
Clem is stoic and patient, HydroRaven isn't :p
Self thought
Speech
Matrix

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1767 on: <02-06-16/0509:02> »
I thought the concealment was also for drones.  My bad.

@Hydro: that's one of the disadvantages of PbP, that it takes a long time IRL.  What we have done in LA so far would have been one gaming session at a table.  It's an unfortunate side effect.  In fact, I'm surprised that this group has held so long.  Most PbPs don't last this long.

@Crossbow: can you provide us with a plan on where the bad guys are compared to where we are.  Just a scetch is fine, but it might be much easier to visualise than a description.  Another thing that's easier at a table, the GM can quickly make a scetch (or use miniatures) and people can much easier visualise what's going on.

@Necro: kill the drone and the jumped in rigger gets dumpshock.  Also, he can only jump in at one drone at the time, so the others don't have all the extra modifiers.  Narrow bursts should do them without taking out innocent civilians (not that O'Connor would probably care about that :) ).
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

Necrogigas

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1768 on: <02-07-16/2342:09> »
Initiative
Intuition 3 + Reaction 8 - CM 1 = Pool 10
Initiative: 10d6t5 6
Initiative 16, 4IP

Characters

HydroRaven

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1769 on: <02-08-16/0325:22> »
Necro, O'Connor would have an initiative of 17 since you don't take modifiers when adding your hits to the base score :)
Self thought
Speech
Matrix