NEWS

Hacking the Matrix

• 57 Replies

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #45 on: <03-09-12/0838:52> »

"They are restricted to their own Signal rating anywhere they move, they cannot use sattelite uplink and so they never reach orbital network."
Because previous statement is false, Technos signal rating only matters to determine mutual distance from hidden nodes he is trying to locate aroung himself, and distance of the nearest wireless node connecting him to the meshwork

It was meant to be linked second expression to the first one :) I hope you got it, IDn if my english expression correctly follows my logic.

OOooook...  So, I guess the icon-end of the connection (versus the persona-end) is simply a "projection" and it doesn't actually run on the destination node?  Not trying to be difficult, I'm actually trying to visualize what this all "looks like" on the hacker/technomancer end.

When you got burn by Black IC, you got burn inside your brain, not inside some node. Since it is your commlink that got hurt, it seems that everything you see in matrix happens inside your acess point = persona origin node. Like using your browser - you dont actualy have to be in Uničov(CZ) to see my answer on your screen ;)

crisses

• Chummer
  • You're out of my mind.
« Reply #46 on: <03-09-12/1649:43> »

"They are restricted to their own Signal rating anywhere they move, they cannot use sattelite uplink and so they never reach orbital network."
Because previous statement is false, Technos signal rating only matters to determine mutual distance from hidden nodes he is trying to locate aroung himself, and distance of the nearest wireless node connecting him to the meshwork

It was meant to be linked second expression to the first one :) I hope you got it, IDn if my english expression correctly follows my logic.

Wait -- Are you saying that technomancers are limited only to the nodes within MSR of their head?  i.e. they can't go from Seattle to New York through normal wireless chains? That's a pretty major limitation.... 

But the same is not true of hackers?

OOooook...  So, I guess the icon-end of the connection (versus the persona-end) is simply a "projection" and it doesn't actually run on the destination node?  Not trying to be difficult, I'm actually trying to visualize what this all "looks like" on the hacker/technomancer end.

When you got burn by Black IC, you got burn inside your brain, not inside some node. Since it is your commlink that got hurt, it seems that everything you see in matrix happens inside your acess point = persona origin node. Like using your browser - you dont actualy have to be in Uničov(CZ) to see my answer on your screen ;)

Rmmmm....  Iknow about the black IC part.  It's quite different from me seeing your answer on this forum.

This forum would be a node we BOTH logged into from our locations.  It lives wherever shadowrun4.com is hosted -- I can say my server eveslist.crisses.org is hosted in Michigan State, USA (just for example's sake).  I'm in New York State, USA -- You're in CZ.  We are "meeting" in "Michigan".  You and I are in something similar to AR -- we view this Michigan website in a browser window.  To anyone in VR viewing the site (were this the 2070s), they see our icons as "people" and doing things in the node, like posting posts or viewing forums.

Now, maybe I'm thinking too far back to VR in the 2050s where you at least PERCEIVED that you were "traveling to" your destination node.  You'd be flying -- for example -- along some data lines, say through the Seattle phone system -- and you'd see the "buildings" for the arcologies like the Aztecnology pyramid in the matrix.  And if you had an address for a place, you'd zoom there, and start your hacking routine.

Now, there's the VR perspective vs. what is "really" going on -- yes, it's really stuff going on in your own brain, and what you perceive not what is really going on -- I get that. 

But I disagree that it "seems" that you're in your commlink while you're in the matrix, unless the whole idea of "travel" has completely gone away and everything in the matrix has become an extension of AR -- just being in the matrix instead of your meat body while fiddling with windows --- rather than your icon having a sword and hacking some black-ic samurai to death.  How boring. :)

Sure a GM could play it where VR is just an extension of AR without the limits of the meat body in the way....  But that loses 100% of the idea that VR resembles Tron in some vague way.  Where you can talk to programs, and fling your disc around and take a lightship to the telecommunication node...

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #47 on: <03-10-12/1239:57> »

Wait -- Are you saying that technomancers are limited only to the nodes within MSR of their head?  i.e. they can't go from Seattle to New York through normal wireless chains? That's a pretty major limitation.... 

But the same is not true of hackers?

Ehh
I just meant that technomancers signal matters only around his head...i.e. to determine mutual signal range or to see if he is able to connect to matrix. If he has Satelite uplink he can of course use it as peripheral to get himself on satelite, which is flying some hundred kilometers above so otherwise impossible to reach. And I also meant that once Techno reaches meshwork, he is capable of doing anythin else hackers/sprites/agents etc do. When you are using your commlink, Signal rating also matters only in a few situations...like ECM, mutual signal range for detecting hiden nodes/ hacking etc...

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #48 on: <03-10-12/1300:23> »
A technomancer's Signal rating works just like a Commlink's signal rating in every way. The hacker is treated as a "device" with that much Signal whenever it matters, such as MSR.

crisses

• Chummer
  • You're out of my mind.
« Reply #49 on: <03-11-12/0002:39> »
Thank you both -- that's what I thought in the first place, I just wanted to make sure on the technomancer's end.  I apologize for the confusion, and thank you for helping me with clarity/certainty.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #50 on: <03-11-12/0426:30> »
Hey, this is Shadowrun site, pal. Being such polite would make people around think you have some side intentions :)

crisses

• Chummer
  • You're out of my mind.
« Reply #51 on: <03-11-12/1723:36> »
Hey, this is Shadowrun site, pal. Being such polite would make people around think you have some side intentions :)

Being polite is the ruse of the experienced gamemaster....to lure players into their game-trap.  Muhahahah....  ;)

DrGryme

• Newb
« Reply #52 on: <11-01-12/1836:56> »
WOW!! +1 Indeed. This is a very helpful thread! Thank you so much!

Sentinemodo

• Prime Runner
  • Prepare for the worst - surprises will be pleasant
« Reply #53 on: <02-09-13/0446:05> »
Can somebody sticky this post?
I spent a better part of an hour trying to find it for the latest version
Sorry for a small delay ;)

Denver Missions
concluded 01 02 03 04 05 10 09 11
running 13
runners: Caretaker Jerry

Sentinemodo

• Prime Runner
  • Prepare for the worst - surprises will be pleasant
« Reply #54 on: <02-09-13/1107:27> »
I'd love to see something similar for the magic.
Sorry for a small delay ;)

Denver Missions
concluded 01 02 03 04 05 10 09 11
running 13
runners: Caretaker Jerry

Blue_Lion

• Omae
« Reply #55 on: <02-09-13/1141:09> »
One thing you seem to be missing: in order to hack into a node, you either need to already be subscribed to it (ie, if it will let you make a user account, you can log into that, and then hack yourself an admin account), or be within mutual signal range. See SR4A p235.

That was debated allot, but a guest account is a subscriibution in 20th aniversy rule standards but not in the old 4th ed. Old 4th ed did not require a subscroption. As best I understand it.

NitricAcid

• Newb
« Reply #56 on: <07-13-13/2015:51> »
I hope this isn't too frowned upon, but I'm posting solely to bump this awesome document. Extremely helpful.

I realize 'necro blah blah' [if I get banned/warned, oh well], but it's too useful to be sunk.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #57 on: <07-15-13/1307:26> »
So, when can we expect something similar for SR5? ;)