NEWS

Implanted comlink accessories and questions about Direct Neural Interfacing.

• 22 Replies

Sengir

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <10-30-11/1828:18> »
We know that you can control implanted devices with DNI, but not if you can get information from implanted devices from DNI, though we know that DNI can let you use know and lingsofts.
My conjecture/houserule is that the feedback from DNI is the mental equivalent of status LEDs on a device -- at least as far as the level of information is concerned, the feedback itself could also be some other sense or maybe the knowledge is "just there", like facts from a knowsoft.

Joush

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <10-31-11/0331:49> »
Or the haptic and thermal senses of a cyberlimb?

Like many things in the game, it feels like you end up in a pitch black room with people trying to describe an elephant. The only way we seem to be able to figure out what DNI dose and it's limitations are by patching it together from a dozen different sources, some of them not really seeming to agree.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <11-06-11/1732:47> »
Personally, I think that the sim module accessory would not be compatible with implanted comlinks because the implanted sim module is just that, the sim module (cold and hot sim possible). The simrig is just an upgrade on the normal sim module incorporating the devices necessary to access the simsense stuff without a trode net or datajack.

As to making a call with an implanted comlink, well, I think it's quite plausible since the implant could translate your thoughts into your "voice" for transmission and sent received signals to the appropriate sections of your brain to "hear" the other person talking. Now you probably would need an image link still to see the other person from a video feed (without going full VR), but so many people in the Sixth World blank out the video that that isn't a big deal not to have.

The Direct Neural Interface, that one I'm a little sketchy on, but due to that being the control of the VAST MAJORITY of cyber implants, the whole thing about a hacker hacking into your PAN and gaining control over your cyber is--to be quite honest--bullshit. Now the hacker might be able to mess with your smartlink and make it useless in that fight by making it target your allies until it's deactivated, but everything else is pretty much cut off from access other than your brain. (The wireless nodes in the cyber implants being there pretty much only for diagnostic and maintenance purposes with little or no REAL access into the systems)
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

tzizimine

• Omae
  • Yes, I misspelled tzitzimeme...
« Reply #18 on: <11-07-11/1305:39> »
Well, there are a number of 'activate'-able implants that could go wrong if controlled by someone else.... engaging the gyromount cyberarm during melee, releasing the retractable sputs while holding your gun, cyber-implant gun (speaks for itself)... I agree that an bone lacing can't be 'hacked' but plenty of other things can.
"When in doubt, cause trouble. When in trouble, cause doubt."

My Cheat Sheet in pdf

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <11-07-11/1308:53> »
Well, there are a number of 'activate'-able implants that could go wrong if controlled by someone else.... engaging the gyromount cyberarm during melee, releasing the retractable sputs while holding your gun, cyber-implant gun (speaks for itself)... I agree that an bone lacing can't be 'hacked' but plenty of other things can.

The activation is via the direct neural interface, however, which means that your network has little or nothing to do with said activation. Worst they might be able to do is tie it up for a pass or two with a diagnostic. And that is assuming they know enough about cyber implants to be able to pull off starting a diagnostic.

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <11-07-11/1829:09> »

The activation is via the direct neural interface, however, which means that your network has little or nothing to do with said activation. Worst they might be able to do is tie it up for a pass or two with a diagnostic. And that is assuming they know enough about cyber implants to be able to pull off starting a diagnostic.

Even 70 years in the future it still taking long diagnostic times.... damn. Thought theywould have fixed that in the future. xD
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <11-07-11/2023:47> »
Heh. Notice I said "pass or two". That would be quicker  :P

That said, that's assuming that a hacker would even know what to look for in a piece of 'ware to be able to do it in the first place. Which they probably wouldn't unless they were hacking as a sideline gig and had a day job as a cyber doc

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #22 on: <11-07-11/2024:30> »
Even 70 years in the future it still taking long diagnostic times.... damn. Thought theywould have fixed that in the future. xD
Are you kidding, it's only going to get worse and worse...  So many things that can go wrong.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11