NEWS

Star Wars using the 4th Ed Shadowrun rules

• 30 Replies

Aelavel

« on: <11-05-12/2047:41> »
Since the 1st-4th Editions are dead, was thinking of converting it to the shadowrun rules, & instead of magic, have it be the Force. Any thoughts or suggestions, would be appreciated :D

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #1 on: <11-06-12/1316:48> »
I think I really, really miss the WEG days.   :'(
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

DaveDaveDaave

• Chummer
  • I like Pies
« Reply #2 on: <11-06-12/1430:59> »

Feck..... Yes I still have knocking around somewhere on a memory stick a floorplan a fan did of the old Skyblind Recon Ship. I Loved It. You can allways tell the success of a product (bloody shame about the fact he got screwed on the licence and business end) by the effort the fanbase to produce Quality goodies. Sort of like the fanbase of another game that came from the same era, can`t think of its name but it had the tagline, Man, Machine and summat else. ;)
An Awful lot of people believe a lot of very strange things indeed for no valid reason I can see. They can`t all be right but it is quite likely they all can be very wrong.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <11-06-12/1447:18> »

Nah, Star Wars was the ONE game that WotC did pretty good on.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

WellsIDidIt

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <11-06-12/2318:09> »
That comment just made me puke a little. Then again, I think WotC has done a pretty pathetic job on everything since D&D 3rd. They've even managed to dumb Magic down past the point o Pokemon from what I've seen.

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #5 on: <11-12-12/1409:41> »
They are busy "broadening their consumer base" by "making games more accessible for new players".
Maybe they learned from Electronic Arts.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #6 on: <11-14-12/0721:58> »
While they may have lowered the learning curve, it is also true that D&D 4th is D&D in name only. In reality, it is more like WoW than D&D. And no, that wasn't a compliment.

While making games more accessible for new players is a fine goal, you have to make sure you don't drive away the players you already have.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #7 on: <11-14-12/1309:22> »
While they may have lowered the learning curve, it is also true that D&D 4th is D&D in name only. In reality, it is more like WoW than D&D. And no, that wasn't a compliment.

While making games more accessible for new players is a fine goal, you have to make sure you don't drive away the players you already have.
"OK, so I tap this card to use this ability, and then wait for the cooldown to...  WHEN THE HELL DID I START  PLAYING MAGIC???" - My first demo of D&D 4th.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

DaveDaveDaave

• Chummer
  • I like Pies
« Reply #8 on: <11-14-12/1856:18> »

"OK, so I tap this card to use this ability, and then wait for the cooldown to...  WHEN THE HELL DID I START  PLAYING MAGIC???" - My first demo of D&D 4th.

All too damn easy to launch into a why i hate the 4th tirade and bile fest but simply they lost me when they gave everyone something to do and I realised it wasn`t based on what characters could do in the fantasy genre they were just making sure everyone had something to do each round. That and the combats stopped feeling like combat and more like  final fantasy type endeavours.Cancerous Rat Pizzle effort of an RPG but it would have made a cracking computer game ..... it would have taken the players a week tho
to crack an algorithm tho and have the computer play itself till you hit epic level, sort of like bots in WoW..
An Awful lot of people believe a lot of very strange things indeed for no valid reason I can see. They can`t all be right but it is quite likely they all can be very wrong.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #9 on: <11-15-12/1125:01> »
CanRay and Dave sum up my point nicely. At least in Shadowrun, while some mechanics have changed over the years, other than the leap from the wired to wireless Matrix, there haven't been any major changes that disrupt the feel of the game. Sammies are still sammies, a mage is still a mage, and a hacker still hacks. The core of the game remains the same, and since there is only one 'world' in Shadowrun, the products are a lot more focused than the core D&D products are, and have more depth to them, flavor-wise.

Of course, this is a problem that isn't just seen in RPGs. Back in the day, Nintendo was king, but they got full of themselves, which lead to Sega being a thing, and Playstation after them. Later on, Sony said "We can charge $600 for a console because it is the new Playstation" and people bought the much cheaper X-Box 360 and Wii in droves. Companies get to thinking that because they're the top dawg, they can do anything, and neglect their existing customers.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Ragnarok

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <12-17-12/1133:37> »
WotC lost me as a customer when they did their 4th Edition.  I won't even try the new Star Wars rpg that FFG has - I've been burned one too many times.  WEG got the feel of Star Wars from the beginning, and the system is still the best.
"More human than human" is our motto.
- Tyrell, Bladerunner

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #11 on: <12-17-12/1206:05> »
To be fair, DR, FFG isn't WotC.  WEG still got it right, I fully admit, but I'll check out FFG.

At least, if they put out a free Quickstart Rules such item.  Won't buy unless they do one HELL of an epic job, however.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <12-17-12/1216:17> »
FFG?
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #13 on: <12-17-12/1231:22> »

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <12-17-12/1341:34> »
FFG?
Fantasy Flight Games.

FFG has been doing massively good work on a number of properties. Their basic product line is high end board games like Tannhauser and Arkham Horror, but they've also done several excellent RPGs under licence.