NEWS

Deadly Waves out now, with all sorts of watercraft! Also, an Arsenal update!

• 71 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #15 on: <07-05-11/1244:52> »
OK, first it was carnivorous trees, now it's a major waterway?

Then again, Winnipeg has some docks set up in various places, and it's literally smack dab in the middle of North America.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #16 on: <07-05-11/1258:05> »
don't know about major waterways in bogota, but winnipeg is, at least, not in the freaking andes i think . .
The Andes is the world's longest continental mountain range. It is a continual range of highlands along the western coast of South America. This range is about 7,000 km (4,300 mi) long, about 200 km (120 mi) to 700 km (430 mi) wide (widest between 18 degrees South and 20 degrees South latitude), and of an average height of about 4,000 m (13,000 ft).

Along its length, the Andes is split into several ranges, which are separated by intermediate depressions. The Andes is the location of several high plateaux – some of which host major cities such as Quito, Bogotá, Arequipa, Medellín, Sucre, and La Paz.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

Valashar

• Omae
  • I'm always angry, but I usually hide it well.
« Reply #17 on: <07-05-11/1547:33> »
There are a few decently sized lakes not too far from Bogota, but nothing that connects it to the sea in any way. Even its closest link to a tributary of the Amazon river is a hundred miles or so to the ESE.
Shadowrun Missions: GenCon 2013

We groped the cat, and tazed the baby.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #18 on: <07-05-11/1640:51> »
*shrugs*  Unless that, like a few other major geographical points, has changed between now and 2073.  Weirder shit's happened.  Mountains have risen and fallen, big chunks of land have been taken back over by momma nature, seas have encroached, you name it...and that's without factoring in purposeful attempts at altering waterways or something (which, especially with magical help, could change the whole flow of rivers in quite a few places on a map).

It may or may not be that Bogota's geographically anything at all like it is in real-life, by this point in the Sixth World.  Folks enjoy belaboring the point because it's a way to keep poking fun at War!, and that's all well and good, but the simple fact is shit changes in Shadowrun all the time, including the landscape, in some impossible ways.  If you want it to work in your campaign, it can work in your campaign.

Stahlseele

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <07-05-11/1736:17> »
By the way, something that Bull just brought up over on Dumpshock . .
How do the Shadowrun Missions work now with the de-errataed Books?
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #20 on: <07-05-11/1804:56> »
By the way, something that Bull just brought up over on Dumpshock . .
How do the Shadowrun Missions work now with the de-errataed Books?

Poorly? :)

1)  The most recent printing, errata, and update supercedes old ones.  Sadly, that currently means that both Street Magic and Arsenal are now back to 1st printing status, more or less. 

2)  It means I start beating on doors until I can find a way to get things updated and fixed.  It causes me headaches when stuff like this happens.

Bull

DWC

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <07-05-11/1807:55> »
I would hope that the answer would be a declaration of overt sloppiness, along with a promise to post a corrected PDF for the 3rd printing, and an attempt to get new correct printings out to the people who bought the botched hardcovers.

I still have a hard time believing someone would willingly remove the errata after it had been formally published.

Frankie the Fomori

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <07-05-11/2040:34> »
One of the gamers in our group grew up in Bogota. He said that you have travel roughly three hours to get to the first water way that is connected to the ocean...maybe even further, the only thing making it from Bogota to the ocean is and i quote "poop"!

But on the flip side I think they intended that you get smuggled out of the city and to a place you could get into the Sub!

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #23 on: <07-05-11/2044:34> »
Three hours isn't that far a trip, actually.  Provided there's roads there and such.

'Course, I have a Canadian attitude about trips anywhere, and the importance of infrastructure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Stahlseele

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <07-06-11/0549:45> »
Canadian attitude
"whatev's eh?"

Valashar

• Omae
  • I'm always angry, but I usually hide it well.
« Reply #25 on: <07-06-11/1038:53> »
It's not that different from a midwest US attitude. An hour or so drive into school each morning was no huge deal for me, and in the city I live in I consider everything to be within walking distance (city limits is a roughly 5x5 mile square).
Shadowrun Missions: GenCon 2013

We groped the cat, and tazed the baby.

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #26 on: <07-06-11/1136:16> »
It's not that different from a midwest US attitude. An hour or so drive into school each morning was no huge deal for me, and in the city I live in I consider everything to be within walking distance (city limits is a roughly 5x5 mile square).

Yeah, a lot of the feds I work with have an hour commute every day (to Kansas City), and I have friends who live in Lawrence KS ( ~30 minutes away) who work in KC as well.
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

Stahlseele

• Omae
« Reply #27 on: <07-06-11/1154:07> »
*shrugs* depending on traffic, my commute to and from work changes from 0.5 to 1.5 hours . . each trip . . so either i am under way 1 hour or 3 hours per day . . or somewhere in between . .

Sengir

• Omae
« Reply #28 on: <07-06-11/1404:23> »
It may or may not be that Bogota's geographically anything at all like it is in real-life, by this point in the Sixth World.  Folks enjoy belaboring the point because it's a way to keep poking fun at War![...]
Uhmm...you are the one who, instead of simply admitting an error, implies that War! is even worse than previously thought. Because if Bogotá dropped to sea level via MAGIC™, War! obviously missed that fact in the history section and the tactical implications thereof in the rest of the book.

[...]but the simple fact is shit changes in Shadowrun all the time, including the landscape, in some impossible ways.
The even more simple fact is that writers make errors. Occam and all that ;)

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #29 on: <07-06-11/1653:33> »
It may or may not be that Bogota's geographically anything at all like it is in real-life, by this point in the Sixth World.  Folks enjoy belaboring the point because it's a way to keep poking fun at War![...]
Uhmm...you are the one who, instead of simply admitting an error, implies that War! is even worse than previously thought. Because if Bogotá dropped to sea level via MAGIC™, War! obviously missed that fact in the history section and the tactical implications thereof in the rest of the book.

[...]but the simple fact is shit changes in Shadowrun all the time, including the landscape, in some impossible ways.
The even more simple fact is that writers make errors. Occam and all that ;)
It's not my error, so I don't really care too much (it obviously matters to me less than the people who keep bringing it up), I'm just pointing out that there's been an awful lot of mucking about with Momma Nature in Shadowrun's history.  It's not my place to admit to an "error," when I'm not the one that may or may not have made it.

I'm not saying it's what happened with Bogota, because I don't know.  I didn't write either book so I don't know if it's just genuine errors or if certain writers had something in mind.  I wasn't even passingly involved with either of these books, so I'm just commenting as some dude that owns them and read them, not as any sort of "voice of the company" or whatever...but some folks complain about Bogota's jungle status in War!, others complain about the passing mention of using a submersible to smuggle stuff in and out of Bogota in Deadly Waves...and no one is coming up with ways to make it work.

I'm just saying it's a possibility someone can use, if they want to try and work something weird into their campaign, is all.  There's a precedent for strange earthquakes, encroaching tidal waves, changing coastlines, and magical mountains that have grown or shrunk since the Awakening:  instead of just bitching, people can try to make it work, if they want to. 
« Last Edit: <07-06-11/1655:21> by Critias »