NEWS

Guns, guns, and more guns in Gun Heaven--out now!

• 95 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #60 on: <06-20-11/0150:28> »
Or out-and-out body kits that contain an entire firearm.

The M41A Pulse Rifle from Aliens is a M1 Thompson SMG with a under-mounted SPAS-12 Shotgun for the "Underbelly Grenade Launcher".  According to the movie, it fires 10mm caseless Explosive Light-Armour Piercing Ammunition.  I described it to one person as "Like Ex-Lax, only delivered at supersonic speeds and explosively."

In the future war scenes in Terminator 2:  Judgement Day, the Terminators use Calico M-960 SMGs with body kits surrounding the magazine and giving what appears to be a much larger overbarrel muzzle.

That's just a few off the top of my head.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #61 on: <06-20-11/0437:21> »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Blade (in the first movie) use a modified MAC-10 with a funky box "thing" over the stub of a barrel? In the movie it seemed to be a sort of sound suppressor, but I would bet that's more of editing room magic. Not sure what he used in Blade 2 and 3, but never really liked those...Time to hit up IMFDB again.
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #62 on: <06-20-11/1137:47> »
He did have said Modified MAC-10.  And carried it in Blade 2 in case he had to put Whistler down, as it was the weapon that had been used on him before.

Wesley Snipes has a lot to say about the weapon designs in the commentary which make a lot of sense.  The security system of the sword was actually his idea, apparently.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #63 on: <06-20-11/2344:05> »
Nifty. Haven't heard the commentary, but sounds like something he would do. Wonder how many who play SR tried something similar.

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #64 on: <06-20-11/2348:14> »
Nifty. Haven't heard the commentary, but sounds like something he would do. Wonder how many who play SR tried something similar.
I know I put a lot of thought into the equipment and modifications thereof for my characters.  But I'm a weapon and vehicle nut that likes to think I'm a writer, so that might have something to do with it.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #65 on: <06-21-11/0039:37> »
Don't feel bad. I go so far as to note where my equipment is located on "my person" becasue if I don't it bugs me. I wonder how many people think about placement of spare mags in relation to if they are a left, or right handed shooter? Or where to put your comlink (radio) so it dosen't get shot? Can I reach any special equipment with ease (ie restraints)? Or where to put that monosword so it won't get in the way of drawing your sidearm, etc etc? Having had to deal with many of the said problems above in RL (aside from the sword, Sheriff and Chief would likely frown on that), it makes sense to me; our I could just be an obsessive-compulsive.
« Last Edit: <06-21-11/0042:53> by Mystic »

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #66 on: <06-21-11/0046:29> »
Don't know, Mystic?  Ever serve in the military?  I seen that habit of things from some people who have served, due to the fact that it's what they had to do for combat situations.

I never have myself, but the extensiveness given to a simple suit of armour in one of my stories borders on insane, and also incorporates where the equipment is and how it's laid out.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #67 on: <06-21-11/0100:09> »
One of the interesting pieces in the BTS pieces for Collateral was that Mark Ruffalo did a lot of prep for his character with plainclothes/undercover officers. One of the interesting things that he incorporated that you don't see in the movie (and something I stole for one of my PCs) was slipping spare mags into his belt loops.

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #68 on: <06-21-11/0119:11> »
Yeah, equipment placement can be key and that was something drilled into me at the academy. But mags in the loops...not something I would do, unless he is carrying a small caliber weapon, and maybe not even then. But then I use double stack .45 mags when on duty. Don't know how good retention they would be, or how strong the loops would be. But for plainclothes..*shrugs*

BUUUT... nothing worse than when you have to wrestle with a "fine upstanding citizen" and not being able to grab your cuffs because you were dumb enough to not have them accessable by BOTH hands, or when your cheap radio mike-cord keeps getting wrapped around your baton, OR having your mag-pouch dig into your thigh constantly becasue you placed it wrong. Glad I learned about most of those lessons in training and not when dealing with "fine upstanding citizens".

Speaking of, does Gun Haven have any more accessories?

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #69 on: <06-21-11/0142:10> »
Ah, Police Officer, close enough, Mystic.  Same reasons, too, as you point out.

No new accessories.  But it does have rules for using older smartgun systems that are not wireless capable.  (You need a datacable.  Of which you can get cheap from the Unwired book, or a "Specialized" cable that's ten times the price.  But there might be a reason for that price, as your radio cable comment points out and I hadn't thought of before.).

I've also chatted/posted/whatever to a EMT (He might have been a full Paramedic) who had previously decided to carry a knife with him on the back of his belt for cutting through seatbelts until he had his back to a crazy drunk in a hospital ER and realized how dangerous the situation could have become.  I pointed him towards a Safety Knife/Car Emergency Tool that doesn't appear to be on the market any longer (I'll look more later.).

I found a smaller, keychain version that I got for my father, a truck driver who had a number of times been the first (and only) help for people trapped in cars on the side of a long stretch of lonely Canadian Highway.  Luckily, he never needed it.

Stay safe on those streets, OK?

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #70 on: <06-21-11/0148:12> »
Hey, QQ then.

I've been in DC recently visiting old friends and such (God I miss that city), so could I get your professional opinion on what is the g-d point of half the cops just standing around in tactical Kevlar vests with drop holsters and ... cargo shorts. I know it's hot and humid in DC, but I cannot fathom for even a second why these cops (who just mill around talking to each other in groups of three or four) are out there for any reason other than to scare the squares.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #71 on: <06-21-11/0155:14> »
Scaring the squares (Who are the majority, and vote.) is how they show that "Something is being done.".

I'm still trying to figure out bicycle cops, myself.  Although the cute ones being in bike shorts...  I better stop right there.  :P  I remember what the Centaur from the PCC said about "Pony Rides".  ;)  They make even less sense here because of the harsh winters.  (Harsh by Canadian standards, people!).

Mounted Police (Not RCMP, Mounted Local Police, BTW), on the other hand, are also quite effective.  My first experience with them was my first month in the city, where they were patrolling along a major roadway and park area (Don't ask.  Winnipeg is weird.), and saw the malcontents and other ne'erdowells just bleed away into the darkish alleyways.  The height combined with the size and weight of the horses to an urban person was quite a scene and intimidating.  I have yet to see them again, however.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #72 on: <06-21-11/0211:24> »
I know I put a lot of thought into the equipment and modifications thereof for my characters.  But I'm a weapon and vehicle nut that likes to think I'm a writer, so that might have something to do with it.

Whereas I'm pretty much the exact opposite.  My characters carry a handful of pretty simple weapon loadouts, based on their personality.  Ruger Warhawk, Ares Predator, or Salavette Guardian with either Ex-Ex or APDS rounds.  All Smartlinked with custom grip, and that's about it.  If they edge more twoard the pacifism scale, an Ares Squirt with Gamma Scope.  For heavier weapons, almost always an Ares Alpha.  And for really heavy weapons, Vindicator Minigun and/or Panther Assault Cannon.

My one exception is Rush, my Missions character.  But he was a bit of a twink with two-gun fu and a pair of Lonestar Ruger Thunderbolts tricked out to give him every bit of recoil comp he could beg, borrow, or steal :)

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #73 on: <06-21-11/0249:10> »
I've also chatted/posted/whatever to a EMT (He might have been a full Paramedic) who had previously decided to carry a knife with him on the back of his belt for cutting through seatbelts until he had his back to a crazy drunk in a hospital ER and realized how dangerous the situation could have become.  I pointed him towards a Safety Knife/Car Emergency Tool that doesn't appear to be on the market any longer (I'll look more later.).
Can't sleep so I found my original source for the safety knife in question and looked up the company that made it.  Appears it's not on the market any longer.  Pity.

The one I got for my father is apparently called "Res-Q-Me" now (I think it had a different name back when I got it.).  ThinkGeek has an updated model for sale called the ""BodyGard 5-in-1 Emergency Tool".  Too many bells and whistles on that one for my liking, but the additions would be good for someone civilian in an urban environment.  ...  Which describes me, actually.

Whereas I'm pretty much the exact opposite.  My characters carry a handful of pretty simple weapon loadouts, based on their personality.  Ruger Warhawk, Ares Predator, or Salavette Guardian with either Ex-Ex or APDS rounds.  All Smartlinked with custom grip, and that's about it.  If they edge more twoard the pacifism scale, an Ares Squirt with Gamma Scope.  For heavier weapons, almost always an Ares Alpha.  And for really heavy weapons, Vindicator Minigun and/or Panther Assault Cannon.

My one exception is Rush, my Missions character.  But he was a bit of a twink with two-gun fu and a pair of Lonestar Ruger Thunderbolts tricked out to give him every bit of recoil comp he could beg, borrow, or steal :)
I'm not deriding the idea of simple loadouts.  Especially if you get a group that handles things the same way, it allows for crossloading and exchange of equipment in combat without extra need for training or additional extras (Such as different magazines or ammunition for different weapons.).  There's a reason NATO and the Warsaw Pact standardized a number of concepts for military firearms.

For myself, thinking of the background of a character, a vehicle and/or weapon is a personal choice made from a variety of options down the line.  If they upgrade to a different firearm, it's likely due to extensive testing and getting a better "Feel" of the weapon, as well as other options.  I also typically pick cool looking weapons, particularly intimidating designs (I loved the Ares Predator I for that, BTW.).

I could go into greater detail, but I've already had one group of people tell me to shut the hell up.  :P  Unless someone here is willing to take the flak and get me going...

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #74 on: <06-21-11/0301:12> »
I like that Utili-Key-6. However, whoever buys a titanium spork should have it jammed in their eye.

Scaring the squares (Who are the majority, and vote.) is how they show that "Something is being done.".
Logically, I know you're right. But at the same time I was so frustrated (even though this was the status quo when I graduated and left DC in 2002) I was bitching about it the whole time. That and the fact that there really is a Capitol Hill Exclusion Zone now. Chalk another one up for Shadowrun's prescience.

Mounted Police (Not RCMP, Mounted Local Police, BTW), on the other hand, are also quite effective.  My first experience with them was my first month in the city, where they were patrolling along a major roadway and park area (Don't ask.  Winnipeg is weird.), and saw the malcontents and other ne'erdowells just bleed away into the darkish alleyways.  The height combined with the size and weight of the horses to an urban person was quite a scene and intimidating.  I have yet to see them again, however.
Oh, they're great for crowd control from what I understand for that very reason.
« Last Edit: <06-21-11/0306:01> by Crimsondude »