NEWS

[HT] can tactical grapple gun be used to pulling a person upward?

• 12 Replies

marfish

• Newb
« on: <01-10-18/2322:51> »
Similar to the standard issue grapple gun, but with significant improvements for military and security use. These include an integral smartlink with customized software, interchangeable specialized grapple heads, upgraded winch motor, and improved range (uses Heavy Crossbow ranges, p. 476, SR5). Grapple heads can be ejected through a smartlink, and replacing them is a Complex Action. This model comes standard with arachnofibre rope (600kg break strength and extremely thin).

It was the "upgraded winch motor" that get me. What is that mean? Does it mean that the grapple gun can pull up a person now? If so, what is the speed? Or, is it simply a term to make it "better"? I am confuse.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1 on: <01-11-18/0601:59> »
well, it says "winch motor"... Winches are used to pull, drag, or push something generally. Now is it strong enough to pull up someone?
I don't know.
I can tell you that as an electric motor today, to pull a 600 Kilo load straight up would be possible. BUT you wouldn't be able to lift it very well. (The smallest motor I can find that is rated to that is a class IIIA motor of around 6kw (assuming 100% efficiency, which is impossible) and weighs in at 10kg. (that is assuming a lift speed of 1m/sec).

you could make it much smaller by decreasing the lift time... but you still have a very heavy motor.

But that is today and not SR... so who knows, but this is the basics of it based of the napkin numbers I crunched.
P = (FxD)/T
F = 600x9.8 (weight times gravity)   

Edit: found a smaller motor by weight that could do the job
« Last Edit: <01-11-18/0659:38> by Reaver »
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #2 on: <01-11-18/1020:59> »
Comparing the Tactical Grapple Gun (Hard Targets, p.187) with the standard Grapple Gun (SR5, p.449). The standard grapple gun has "an internal winch that can pull back the grapple (or pull up small loads)." The tactical grapple gun specifically calls out an "upgraded winch motor," without saying exactly how it's been upgraded. It seems reasonable that it would offer a bonus to the Climbing Test, at least for lighter characters. 

Strictly off the cuff, I'd say smaller PCs up to 100kg (see Metahuman Characteristics Table,  SR5, p.380) get double the usual +2 for assisted climbing (see Climbing, SR5, p.134), or +4 total, and ignore penalties for difficult climbing surfaces. This ought to get even unskilled climbers up most walls. Heavier PCs (100-200kg, mainly orks) get only a +1 bonus (+3 total) as the winch struggles to counter their weight. PCs over 200kg (i.e., trolls) would get nothing beyond the standard +2 for assisted climbing. The winch flashes an error message in AR, and offers directory assistance for renting a construction crane.

legionof1

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <01-11-18/1659:59> »
The Mythbusters Superhero Hour episode featured Jamie making such a winch which hauled his not insubstantial self up a 27 ft wall in 20 secs. That was in 07. Nother 60 odd years of miniaturization and nanotech after that? 

HP15BS

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <01-11-18/1718:44> »
The Mythbusters Superhero Hour episode featured Jamie making such a winch which hauled his not insubstantial self up a 27 ft wall in 20 secs. That was in 07. Nother 60 odd years of miniaturization and nanotech after that?

Where's the like button?
To Deckers the Foundation really is a crazy place from Alice in Wonderland. How does that stuff just happen? How do they work when everything about them defies logic?
Then a Techno comes, high 5's Caterpillar, takes a swig of Mad Hatter's tea, & wanders away chatting up White Rabbit.
- Marcus Gideon

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <01-11-18/1936:49> »

So a little faster then 15inches/sec..

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <01-13-18/0811:48> »
Well, if you implant one I always assumed it matches the size of the character, and so hopefully also it's weight.
I like the assisted climbing rules; It just takes a little. Now I wonder if it stacks with magic.
Still waiting on a Vector-Thrust Liminal Body.

HP15BS

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <01-13-18/1540:23> »
You mean if it'll let you Levitate faster? I suppose so...
To Deckers the Foundation really is a crazy place from Alice in Wonderland. How does that stuff just happen? How do they work when everything about them defies logic?
Then a Techno comes, high 5's Caterpillar, takes a swig of Mad Hatter's tea, & wanders away chatting up White Rabbit.
- Marcus Gideon

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <01-13-18/1626:45> »
Well, if you implant one I always assumed it matches the size of the character, and so hopefully also it's weight.
I like the assisted climbing rules; It just takes a little. Now I wonder if it stacks with magic.

Don't really know..... logically it probably wouldn't.

A mage moves at (F) meters under levitate, which can be really fast depending on the casting. The winch motor will only retract at a set speed with any amount of force. So it is concievable that a levitating mage would make it to the anchor point faster than the winch could retract, leaving a giant "U" of cable to wind up.

On the other hand, it could assist the mage's movement for a low force spell. (But the spell has limitations on weight by force as I recall).
« Last Edit: <01-13-18/1628:36> by Reaver »

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <01-14-18/0835:28> »
Well, I was more thinking abour using to for assisted climbing to scale a cliff or something, with an adept with light body, or maybe a spirits movement power.
Still waiting on a Vector-Thrust Liminal Body.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <01-14-18/0959:38> »
Well, I was more thinking abour using to for assisted climbing to scale a cliff or something, with an adept with light body, or maybe a spirits movement power.

Nothing wrong with a house rule if you feel it would.

Admittedly, I look at things a bit differently, but that is just my life experience getting in the way :P

And sadly the books leave a lot open for judgement, so I say feel free to do what you feel is best for your table.

adzling

« Reply #11 on: <01-15-18/1133:38> »
yeah a couple of folks have built these things using drill motors and a reduction gear.

so it's definitely possible.

who knows what was intended.

marfish

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <01-17-18/1959:22> »
love and hate :/