NEWS

SR5: 2 MECHANICS ON ACTIVE SOFTS

• 10 Replies

Mollari

• Newb
« on: <01-08-18/2009:06> »
Question: Active Softs
Active Soft: p442 CRB Master Index Edition (if that changes anything)
The quote is: "Activesofts: Activesofts replace physical active skills, basically every Active skill that isn’t based on Magic or Resonance."
Now I believe one of three possibilities exist here.

1) The harshest interpretation is that the term "physical active skills" refers to the "Physical Active Skills" on p133 CRB. The four categories of skills (excluding magic/resonance) are Combat Active Skills, Physical Active Skills, Technical Skills and Vehicle Skills.
Now if RAW suggests this, then you cannot use skilljack/wires and activesofts for any combat skills etc. This is rather limiting.

2) The use of the term "Physical" in active skills (of which all 4(5) types of skills are considered active in comparison to knowledge and language skills) refers to the dichotomy between the Physical and the Astral/Resonance realms. This would then follow the "...basically every Active Skill that isn't based on Magic or Resonance." comment. BTW this is the version I support, though I'd like the opinions of my fellow shadowrunners (and Michael Chandra's opinion if you're reading, good sir).

3) It's a typo/teams didn't communicate with each other when writing/GOD and all the DemiGods only know

Thanks for the consideration and I welcome all opinions

p.s I'm playing a character who runs most of his skills off wires, so this would drastically change my build lol.

fseperent

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <01-08-18/2043:59> »
#2 is the right interpretation.

Mollari

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <01-08-18/2354:39> »
On further investigation, the skillsofts appear to be copied form the SR4 rather closely, however they left some stuff off.

SR4: CRB p332
"Activesofts: Activesofts replicate skills that require physical activity,
including all Combat, Physical, Social, Technical, and Vehicle
skills (but not Magic or Resonance skills).
"

So from SR4 - SR5 they used the phrase "physical activity" to "physical active", possibly not realising the limitations it put on the game.
SR4 also explicitly included the Combat , Social, Technical and Vehicle skills. I don't believe SR5 intended to change the scope and function.

&#24525;

« Reply #3 on: <01-09-18/0056:09> »
"Editing"

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <01-09-18/0549:24> »
It could also be referring to active skills that are linked to physical attributes. Or can only be used for active skills that are used for physical actions (so no Cybercombat Active Softs while you're jumped in to VR).

Mollari

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <01-09-18/1753:46> »
The physical skills (or linked to things that have a physical limit) was also a possibility, but that would cut all the social and technical skills, and the activesofts managed to cover them in SR4.

I do agree with your comment on the "physical" actions element. So that would mean you can't operate a deck while full VR, or drive a car rigged.

Thanks guys for the help :D Keep it coming. How do you guys use it in your games?

Mollari

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <01-13-18/2235:04> »
Found the answer.

In Run Faster there are cyber and tech packs you can buy. One is called "Competence in a Chip" (or something along those lines.

They list activesofts you can buy. These included medicine, first aid, computer, software, leadership, etiquette and others.

In addition, the character pregen in crb list activesofts of blades and throwing. This means that combat, physical, technical and social skills are fine.

The Bald Man

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <01-20-18/1432:28> »
Pregen's in the CRB are fraught with errors, but I agree with your conclusion.

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <01-23-18/0421:21> »
Active softs are whatever skills can be recorded from some form of physical activity so any skills would be ok except for demolitions and chemestry I would veto that you know the procedure but not the measurements or recipe

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <01-23-18/1709:02> »
By that logic you could make the same sort of argument for many mechanics tests.

Considering that all active skills can "theoretically" be used as an equivalent knowledge, and activesofts still run on a skilljack, which is what knowsofts require, I don't see any problem with activesofts giving the knowledge of application along with the muscle movements.

Mollari

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <01-23-18/1755:23> »
Thanks for all the input guys.

The original issue was in the wording of "Physical Active Skills". The change from "Physically active skills" in SR4 to what it is now likely means the same thing, though the writers didn't catch the implications for it's application and skills available.

I've since confirmed that, as per the Run Faster cyber pack "COMPETENCE-ON-A-CHIP PACK" p.240 it lists a number of active skills that can be used with activesofts.

"Common pairings are: Acting (Impersonation and Performance),... Healing Hands (First Aid and Medicine), Warrior (Blades and Unarmed Combat)... Like a Boss (Leadership and Negotiation)... Tech Support (Computer and Software)..."

There are others lists, but to address some of the points raised by my group and others here:
1) Active Softs are not linked only to physical attributes: As we see Active Softs linked to Charisma, Logic, Willpower etc.
2) Active Softs are not linked to the "Physical Active Skill" group: As we see Technical Active, Social Active, Combat Active etc.

I'm currently leaning towards the SR4 comment of "Physically Active" to imply that it has to be in the physical world. When using ActiveSofts you don't know what you're doing. You're giving up control to the ActiveSoft and SkillWires. Arguably it imparts an understanding of the action and you can choose what action you'd like to do, but you have only a theoretical understanding of the action. It's the skillwires translating force and motion as inputs that then present response actions. Therefore you can't use things tied to skillwires when you are Full VR or Rigged into a vehicle.

This isn't spelled out in the rules however, I'm just glad to have solved the original two interpretations, as my character is reliant on his activesofts.

Thanks guys for the help and sounding board. Do any of you disagree with this interpretation?