NEWS

Shadowrun / Google Earth

• 6 Replies

Shadowseer Kim

• Newb
« on: <01-04-18/0243:30> »
This would be an awesome project that would need to be pieced out to a lot of people.

Imagine a Shadowrun Google Earth / Maps that could be accessed used the same way?  Street view would be great but not needed.  Just a map that you can search locations, shows markers, calculate travel times etc.

Anyone on here even close to having the skill set?

dragrubis

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <01-04-18/0551:27> »
It may be a very good tool but probably complex to build it don't know how to build it

But an interesting feature should be "personal campaign rebuild" to alter the global shared map with your current game information (setted by your GM)

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <01-04-18/0841:04> »
I thought that was the basis for this Seattle map:

http://www.1w6.de/rpg/sr/map/

It would be very cool if one could make it “live”.

SpellBinder

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <01-04-18/1226:42> »
I don't think I have close to that skill set, but I have been continuously adding to a personal Google Earth KMZ file with markers and polys for several years now.  Mostly as the need arises in tracking something down for my own writing.  Granted there are a few pins that don't actually line up with the cannon address (last I tried, the address for the Ancient's bar, The Daisy Chain, actually put the pin way out in Auburn, and I don't mean like how Puyallup's Underworld 93 is in Tacoma).  It is very far from complete.

That other map AJCarrington linked is also quite nice, but I do wish one could zoom in a few more steps.

Ace

« Reply #4 on: <01-09-18/1051:49> »
Given that Shadowrun is set in the not-too-distant future and a lot of major thoroughfares would still be being used, I've used actual Google Maps and Streetview in my campaign. A couple of runners got themselves into a gunfight in Redmond (obviously a real place) so I zoomed in to an area of the real Redmond, described the changes and pointed out where the armed gangers were standing, my players quite enjoyed that.

Shadowseer Kim

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <01-10-18/0012:56> »
Oh yea, I use google maps for distancing out routes, etc. 

@Spellbinder I would like to hear more about this KMZ file?  Like do you have Google earth, or some kind of plugin for web based maps?

SpellBinder

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <01-10-18/1215:17> »
Naw, the KMZ file is simply the extension Google Earth uses when you save your custom maps.  It's because I have multiple devices and needed a way to share between them, using a tablet to go to a gaming group.  Also makes a handy backup as Google Earth doesn't save your changes if the program crashes.