NEWS

What do Shadowrun Cities look like to you

• 3 Replies

catrone3

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
« on: <11-01-17/1623:07> »
I am curious how the forum views the setting. Give as much or as little detail as you like. Use whatever city you want, but let everyone be able to imagine it from your text.

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <11-01-17/1720:06> »
I don't think any city has a single look, they are far too big for that. I think the new Bladerunner went a little too far, on size but for look I think it was decent.

&amp;#24525;

« Reply #2 on: <11-01-17/1722:39> »
I think Dredd does a good job at portraying the settings imagery for cityscapes.

/Edit. Auto"correct"
« Last Edit: <11-01-17/1946:45> by 忍 »

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <11-01-17/1909:45> »
I see it as more of a variable setting really you have enclaves for the rich and powerful surrounded by the middle class areas then the bad neighbourhoods and finally the slums/ruins. The various areas are separated by varying levels of control and varying subtlety for instance the same train station may have lines going to lower, middle and upper class neighbourhoods but the actual platforms are separated floor wise and require different tickets to use or street design so its impossible to just drive from neighbourhood a to neighbourhood b (think Berlin wall) and in the extreme cases constant security and checkpoints on a gated neighbourhood. To match it up with lifestyle packages Luxury are beautiful have parks, amazing buildings and a constant security presence as well as their own personal servants and are only technically part of the city because they're in the same place. High lifestyles are beautiful, glamorous locations with reasonable security but can still be accessed from the other parts so servants can come and go, middle lifestyle are pretty much like the cities of today only with more AR, low lifestyle sacrifice any kind of beauty in favour of cramming as many people into one place as they can cops show up rarely and most security is actually done by the gangs living in that area/building finally the squatter and street lifestyles hang their rags wherever they can and fight over the more secure parts of the damaged buildings. To give some visual idea  . . .

Luxury LIfestyle

You have things like this luxury seaside living accommodation. . . .

[SPOILER][/SPOILER]

or this luxury living accommodation above the city centre itself so they just take the secured elevators down to the work buildings.

[Spoiler][/Spoiler]

Then we have this for the rich upper class more built up but still with patches of greenery in private places and all very neat, clean and impressive looking. . . .

[Spoiler][/Spoiler]

or this part of the city centre at night with the parties and other entertainment's for them . . .

[Spoiler][/Spoiler]

Middle class are pretty much like our cities of today as I said meaning a lot less shiny and glittery but still with some interesting building designs, temples or other sacred places (drawing on the heavy Japan influence and the fact spirits are real) and a safe enough place as long as you don't do something stupid like go down a dark alley alone at night to urinate . . .

[Spoiler][/Spoiler]

[Spoiler][/Spoiler]

Then you move out into the bad neighbourhoods still with pockets of decency but you may have to deal with the occasional falling body as a gang makes an example of someone, poor services and of course the occasional robbery/rape/murder attempt. The buildings are drab, utilitarian probably have at least some damage and plenty of graffiti on the occasions when police do show up they show up in force as much for their own protection as yours and they'll assume your a threat until they have reason to think otherwise rather than a victim (such as your awaiting their arrival face down with your hands visibly empty). Even then they'll figure your guilty of something its just a matter of whether its the reason they're actually here this time . ..

[Spoiler][/Spoiler]

[Spoiler][/Spoiler]

Then you have the really bad neighbourhoods for the squatters and street lifestyles damaged, burnt out a haunt of gangbangers looking for some fun during the day and worse at night . . .

[Spoiler][/Spoiler]

To put it all together in terms of say Wollongong (built up over several decades) you have those green seaside accommodation all secured and protected for the luxury lifestyle in the first image, surrounding that you'd have a ring of the high lifestyle glitzy and glamorous shown in the 3rd and 4th images, around that you have the middle lifestyle forming the bulk of the city 5th and 6th images, with bad neighbourhoods of low lifestyle accommodation shown in the 7th and 8th image. The middle class ranges from low near the bad neighbourhoods to high near the central core of high lifestyle and occasionally as a special treat they may go into the high lifestyle part to enjoy a club for someone's birthday or the like. Sure its extravagant and your probably spent as much for that one night as an entire 2 week holiday somewhere else but hey its Tom's special day. Scattered amongst the bad neighbourhoods are the dead zones consisting of abandoned places shown in the last image that no one goes into unless they have really hit rock bottom because sometimes people just disappear there. In the centre of the middle class is the city centre with office buildings and the like shown in the second image in this case the luxury and high class work areas which are better and allow them to work in the same "building" while still being secured from the average salary man/woman who might snap on a bad day.

EDIT
If anyone know's how to spoiler the images so they are only open if people want them to be I'd appreciate being told how please.

EDIT 2
Oh and yes this does mean the beach is now off limits to anyone except the luxury lifestyle and an occasional high lifestyle or very lucky visitor (such as a corporate citizen who know's those in the luxury bracket but never really made it big themselves as represented by the friends in high places quality), not that I'm sure you'd want to swim in the water these days its still a better living location if you need to be in the city for some reason as opposed to the private island/spacestation/mountain/etc.
« Last Edit: <11-01-17/1933:34> by Senko »