NEWS

[5e, Homebrew] Simplified Hacking/Matrix Rules?

• 12 Replies

Slipperychicken

• Chummer
« on: <10-29-17/2212:55> »
I want to see if anyone knows of a simple, easy-to-use overhaul of the hacking rules. I'm open to making my own, but if someone has already made a good one I'd like to see it.

For the record, I am 100% okay with dumping any matrix-related rule, lore-concept, or item in the game which might be incongruent or incompatible with the homebrew rules. My ideal situation is for hacking attempts to be resolved as quickly as combat actions if not faster, with a minimum of rules-lookups necessary during play (ideally zero).

&#24525;

« Reply #1 on: <10-29-17/2241:20> »
Preach to the choir.

Beta-Max

• Newb
  • Technomancer Problem: I sneezed & erased my email.
« Reply #2 on: <10-30-17/1350:39> »
I've been looking into adapting the Hacking rules from Eclipse Phase, they're VERY straightforward.

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #3 on: <10-30-17/1524:25> »
Here's how I do matrix actions at my table: Determine which skill the hacker is using, determine the level of success needed, and then they roll. The hardest part is which skill to use. So, things like connecting to a grid, changing grids, etc. are done using computer, whereas bricking a smartgun, stealing a file (or three), or sneaking into a corp host are done using hacking. Just remember to keep track of the GOD score.
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?

Slipperychicken

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <10-30-17/1908:19> »
Here's how I do matrix actions at my table: Determine which skill the hacker is using, determine the level of success needed, and then they roll. The hardest part is which skill to use. So, things like connecting to a grid, changing grids, etc. are done using computer, whereas bricking a smartgun, stealing a file (or three), or sneaking into a corp host are done using hacking. Just remember to keep track of the GOD score.

If we consolidate it like this, we can trim the skills down to Computer, Hacking, and Hardware. Computer handles typical activities that wageslave IT workers might need to do regularly, Hacking covers all illicit and fun software activity, while Hardware covers everything from networking to cleaning sewage out of your cyberdeck's cooling fan. I think we could roll computer and hacking into one skill, but I also worry that this gestalt skill might be overpowered. Leaving it to three distinct skills might be the sweet spot in balance terms; reducing the skill tax for hackers while keeping hacking from being an auto-pick for every runner.

If I'm being completely honest, I'm happy with dumping things like host-programs, GOD, and overwatch score if it means a simpler hacking system. As long as there's some form of cyber-cop to scan for hackers when suspicious activity happens, reveal their location to meatspace security if they're found, and try to mess with the team's gear (including the cyberdeck) if the hacker persists anyway. I don't need a whole minigame just to keep hackers busy; we already have a whole wold of action-packed corporate espionage, urban degeneracy, and mystical wonder to explore.

I've been looking into adapting the Hacking rules from Eclipse Phase, they're VERY straightforward.

Sounds great. I'm picking it up now. It may take me time to familiarize myself with the game, its lore, and its paradigms, but rest assured that I'll research its hacking system.

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #5 on: <10-31-17/1512:52> »
You still need Software, because your hacker will (should) want to write their own programs to do things. Not generally used on a run, unless the hacker is (re)writing code during the run (maybe prep phase).
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?

Slipperychicken

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <10-31-17/1720:55> »
You still need Software, because your hacker will (should) want to write their own programs to do things. Not generally used on a run, unless the hacker is (re)writing code during the run (maybe prep phase).

What game-mechanical benefit would this provide the hacker? If there is something here, I'm thinking it could be rolled up under Computer (for development and coding of benign applications) or Hacking (for writing something to defeat security or wreak havoc).

Shadowseer Kim

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <10-31-17/2135:36> »
Software usually adds dice to the pool for the roll.  Pretty simple and straight forward.

Slipperychicken

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <11-01-17/0820:46> »
Software usually adds dice to the pool for the roll.  Pretty simple and straight forward.

I meant, what does the act of writing programs do for a hacker in game mechanics terms?

And yes I know what programs do for people IRL; I'm an IT worker. I'm talking about what the rules effect is or should be in a game that emphasizes hollywood "on-the-fly" hacking as the norm.
« Last Edit: <11-01-17/0824:29> by Slipperychicken »

Beta-Max

• Newb
  • Technomancer Problem: I sneezed & erased my email.
« Reply #9 on: <11-01-17/1044:42> »
Well just like IRL the software is a Prep Phase, to identify vulnerabilities, loopholes in access, user work habits for spoofing etc. The "on the fly" software usage is more maintaining the software that is masking your locations, disguising your activities etc.

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <11-02-17/0728:40> »
From a GMīs perspective: When the timing is right, I donīt mind using the Standard Matrix rules for Hacking.
However, when I or the rest of the table just donīt have the patience and the right mood for 20 Minutes of Matrix Mumbojumbo, I like to take a faster approach thatīs somewhat similar to the mechanics of the Matrix search action:

After hearing what task the player wants to accomplish, the GM sets a fixed treshold (e.g. 3) and a fixed time (e.g. 2 Minutes) for the whole task, depending on the circumstances, the expected security and the chances to create dramatic situations  8)

Then itīs just one roll, with the Skill-Attribute-Limit Combo that seems most appropriate. Some examples:
  • To brick a Device, itīs Cybercombat + Logic [Attack]
  • To manipulate a camera feed, itīs Hacking + Logic [Stealth]
  • To intercept a call, itīs Electronic Warfare + Logic [Stealth]
  • To make a list of all nearby wireless-active weaponry, itīs Computer + Intuition [Data Processing]
  • To write a little program that makes a wireless grenade go off when leaving a certain GPS Area, itīs Software + Logic [Data Processing] (Because the software skill needs some love, too  ;D)
  • To grab a File from a small host, itīs Cybercombat + Logic [Attack] or Hacking + Logic [Stealth], depending if the player wants to do it the stealthy or the aggressive way.
Any "hacking perk" (loaded programs, sprites, echoes, complex forms, access codes aquired by having the face sway an unsuspecting wageslave...) that can be argued to aid the task in a meaningfull way grants 1-2 bonus dice (GMīs choice) or raises the limit by one (playerīs choice). Direct connections and VR mode modify the threshold: - 1 for a direct connection, -1 for VR (and the +2 Bonus dice when using Hot VR). The minimum threshold is 1. 

One Net hit, and the task is accomplished in the given time. More Net Hits, and the time needed is devided by them, just like when performing a Matrix search. Regarding the additional penalties for illegal Attack and Stealth Actions, the consequences have to be harsher than usual, since these rules summarize many actions at once:
  • On a successfull Attack test, the alarm is tipped of as usual. Also, the Hacker always has to resist the (original) threshold as Matrix Damage, with possible Biofeedback at the GMīs discretion. If the test is not successfull, missing hits are doubled and added to the Damage Code.
  • On a successfull Stealth test, the task is accomplished unnoticed. Failing the test tips of the alarm, missing the threshold by 2 or more means The Man also got your current location.
  • After the hack, 1W6 for each point of the (original) threshold are added to the Overwatch Score. Note that this is only relevant if the hacker is required to stay in the Matrix afterwards. In most cases, she will probably be able to relog.

Would love to see something like that in the new Matrix rulebook!
Extensive hacking episodes donīt fit into the pacing of the game too often, so an optional quicker approach would be very usefull.
« Last Edit: <11-02-17/1117:54> by Finstersang »

Orffen

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <02-26-18/2106:30> »
Really digging these simplified rules, Finstersang!

Any thoughts on glitches? I was thinking:
  • On a glitch, the hacker is marked by an appropriate defensive measure (e.g. IC or a security spider). Additionally, net hits are only used for success/failure; the test takes the full time originally specified by the GM (ignore additional net hits). Depending on the situation, the GM may apply additional consequences (e.g. the hacker may be link-locked).
  • On a critical glitch, demiGOD converges on the hacker (SR5 232). In a host, normal Host Convergence rules apply (SR5 247), and if this happens it’s probably time to roll cybercombat Initiative!

Artemis Entreri

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <03-06-18/0701:02> »
Hey!!

I've to say that,  after a while, I opted to stay within the rules someway. 

Now,  I admit I just play using the core mechanics and apply complex or advanced rulings only when it is actually interesting. 

Having said that,  the decker rules are not that different from any other subsystem,  especially if you take a cheat sheet at hand (there are some great cheat sheets around).

BTW,  the key is the player playing the decker. Complexity is a concrete part of SH's design and in hacking I would avoid gestalt skills. 
The decker should just roll on its own and keep track of what happens separately.

Most of the time,  all they have to do is Mark --> act. What you can do is to shorten the marking process when time is not a factor or just considering opposing rolls as thresholds…  unless confrontation is not relevant. 

Most of the time,  just assume the defender (would it be a decker or any target) get the average hits,  adding or removing from -2 to +2 as you see fit.  Pre-determined pools are easy to figure out (12 common,  8 scarse,  16 powerful).
If the decker makes its own thing,  for the GM it is all about jotting down a pair of numbers in advance and that's it.  😉

I.e., you are trying to mark a defended icon. You know that it can be normal (12) dice,  meaning 3 hits. You can say that any attempt to damage or similar activities is at +1, so you just jot down 3 and 4 and use them throughout the scene.

It speeds things so much,  it just takes three seconds of planning and you removed a ton of bookkeeping from the GM's side.