NEWS

Tactical Computer

• 5 Replies

Slagheap

• Newb
« on: <10-28-17/1852:34> »
The old tactical computer implant from Shadowtech was always a cool idea, but toally OP as it was originally statted.  Have any of the later editions tried tackling the Tactical Computer?  Failing that, has anyone tried statting one up for 5th ed?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1 on: <10-28-17/1907:10> »
it moved from being an implant to a dedicated piece of gear and software. They are called P-Tacs now and can be found in Run and Gun page 104.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

&#24525;

« Reply #2 on: <10-28-17/1955:33> »
Note that the p tacks received an errata.

Slagheap

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <10-28-17/2355:45> »
Well that's disappointing.  I knew about P-Tacs, but I feel like those don't have quite the same flavor.  I guess there's mp way to do the original concept that isn't broken.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #4 on: <10-29-17/0451:20> »
yea, when you look at the original and the way it was supposed to work, it just doesn't really make that much sense. It somehow took your physical senses and gave you MORE input to give bonuses to combat situations... which is, a little off.

Sure, one can train their senses to get .. how shall we say.. a "heightened sense" of danger, much like police and military personal develop from aggressive/combat situations... but still...

The new system makes it much more "believable" as it requires additional sensors and points of input to become effective. (the more people equipped with P-tacs, the better the bonuses as you are now co-ordinating multiple references to gain a better tactical understanding of the surrounding situation.)

And, it wouldn't be the first thing that has been changed, or removed due to a better understanding of actual science and technology.. especially when that Science and technology directly contradicts what has been published.

Keep in mind too, Shadowtech came out what, 20 years ago?  What was science fiction then, has become Science fact now in some cases, and the 2 just don't mesh at all and can create a disconnect in people with more direct knowledge of these things.

Heck, there is a small but vocal portion of the community that can't wrap their minds around the fact that SR diverged from our world radically in the 1980s, and constantly say "well we have 'X' now, so SR should also have 'X', but better!!" where X is everything from some "human right" to some doohickie piece of tech.

But if you really  want it, there are ways to handle this. They are homebrew solutions, but possible. My GM has had to deal with this issue with our party as all our characters are continuations from 1e, which has lead to him having to deal with pieces of tech from 5 editions worth of updates, changes, reconfigurations, cost adjustments (both essence and $$$) and functionality.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #5 on: <11-06-17/0030:53> »
Enh.  The tactical computer didn't really give you new senses; it took everything from all the senses you could link into it and analyzed everything at computer speeds, enabling you to make more informed decisions - 'guy X will hit you, guy Y will not', etc. etc.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.