NEWS

F Ammo

• 14 Replies

welldressedgent

• Chummer
« on: <08-28-17/1732:47> »
Not a gun person; but I'm thinking about ways to camouflage forbidden ammo types.

1. Craft your own bullets (more effective?) and/or...
2. Bury them at the bottom of the magazine (funnier!)

Would these work?

wdg

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #1 on: <08-28-17/1742:04> »
You have to think about what situations would lead to you being arrested for carrying Forbidden-legality ammo.  When you say "camouflage", what do you mean?

It's unlikely for someone to get caught just for forbidden ammo.  If using it was the only thing illegal thing you were doing, unless it was visually obvious ammo (like hollow-point rounds) and they were just randomly inspecting your ammo by hand, I can't think of a situation where it'd come up.

And if you're arrested for something else and have illegal bullets, it really doesn't matter at that point.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Agent_Juice

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <08-28-17/1904:23> »
Does jamming pebbles and bits of broken glass into a Streetline Special count as crafting ammo?

&#24525;

« Reply #3 on: <08-28-17/1918:59> »
Hand loads are an option in Hard Targets and a "clip" can only have one kind of ammo in it at a time. (Core AFB) There is only one except that comes to mind and that's cylinder guns that have the wireless switching mod.

welldressedgent

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <08-28-17/1948:26> »
I'm thinking about searches: having your apartment tossed, stop-n-frisk, border customs agents etc.

So Firebug you're saying bullets mostly look identical? Except hollow points. I thought there'd be a serial no or something.

It seems unrealistic that you can't mix ammo types. Might be a simplicity of game design thing, 忍.

g
wdg

psycho835

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <08-28-17/2044:02> »
Hand loads are an option in Hard Targets and a "clip" can only have one kind of ammo in it at a time. (Core AFB) There is only one except that comes to mind and that's cylinder guns that have the wireless switching mod.
Don't forget tracers - you can mix them with anything.

I'm thinking about searches: having your apartment tossed, stop-n-frisk, border customs agents etc.

So Firebug you're saying bullets mostly look identical? Except hollow points. I thought there'd be a serial no or something.

It seems unrealistic that you can't mix ammo types. Might be a simplicity of game design thing, 忍.

g
Definitely unrealistic, not to mention not always adhered to - in 4E mission Romero & Juliette one of the NPC's has a spare mag for her Barrett alternating EX-explosive and Stick-n-Shock.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #6 on: <08-28-17/2111:16> »
Bullets would mostly look the same, though an experienced person could recognize the difference.  If someone's in your apartment, seriously, what bullets you have don't matter.  I doubt that's all you have that's incriminating, and they're already in your home going through all of your stuff, meaning either they have a warrant (and thus, already have stuff against you) or just don't care (in which case it really doesn't matter).  You're already in trouble, focus on clearing your name and getting the heat off your back.

Stop-n-frisk probably won't check the bullets in your gun, ideally they won't find the gun at all, but I know that's unlikely.  If you're honestly somewhere you think a random-ass cop is going to pick you out on the street to frisk you, just...  Don't bring illegal bullets.  Have a reasonable backup weapon with a strong fake license too.  This is often necessary for higher-security zones in Seattle.  Part of the deal in Shadowrun is that you can't always bring your best stuff with you unless you've worked out a special way to do it.

If it's a border agent or some other place where you know there's going to be an unavoidable check, you absolutely should have some kind of secret compartment to smuggle your weapons in, or else a way around the obstacle.  Don't expect to just be able to hide something on your person through customs.  If you're getting across the border, hire a coyote to get you past it with all your gear.
« Last Edit: <08-28-17/2113:17> by firebug »
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

&#24525;

« Reply #7 on: <08-28-17/2338:09> »
Oddly the only mention I can find in the core book regarding ammo being restricted to a single type per clip is in the Tracer round description listing its exception.

being loaded as every third round in a clip, is an exception to the restriction of one type of ammunition per clip.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #8 on: <08-28-17/2356:23> »
The way you're going to get busted for F Ammo, is when they pull it out of the target.

We have rules for crafting your own bullets, you won't like them.

*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #9 on: <08-29-17/1550:13> »
There are only a couple situations where you'd get busted for F ammo.

1) You get caught using it.
2) You get caught for something else and they found it in the search.
3) You were 'walking while SINless', and the cops decided to search you.

In any of those cases, you're already hosed, so the type of bullets in the gun aren't going to matter that much.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Tassyr

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <09-02-17/0325:54> »
There are only a couple situations where you'd get busted for F ammo.

1) You get caught using it.
2) You get caught for something else and they found it in the search.
3) You were 'walking while SINless', and the cops decided to search you.

In any of those cases, you're already hosed, so the type of bullets in the gun aren't going to matter that much.

Yeah, I think Mirikon nailed it here. It's not so much that the ammo itself is gonna get found and you'll get arrested for that outside of some strange, specific scenario (Like trying to take it through customs somewhere, which is kinda dumb.) In general it'd be an 'addon' thing where you get picked up for other stuff, and some cop/corp/whatever throws the fact that you have F ammo into your face to make things even more unpleasant for you.
"There's a reason Johnsons are named what they are. They'll try and fuck you at some point, no doubt about it." -Camulus

Agent_Juice

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <09-05-17/0758:45> »
You get busted for carrying ammo when the Lone Star officer goes "what's that behind your ear? A tracer round! You got a license for that, chummer?" Then while pretending to check your fake SIN, he pulls a bunch of drugs and colorful tied handkerchiefs from your pockets, and tries to spray you with Pepper Punch that shoots out his badge.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #12 on: <09-05-17/2124:35> »
Meanwhile, his cruiser's radio plays "Entrance of the Gladiators" ...
« Last Edit: <09-05-17/2313:17> by The Wyrm Ouroboros »
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Tassyr

• Chummer
« Reply #13 on: <09-05-17/2224:16> »
I never knew that song had a name. To me it was always "The Clown Car Song" or "The Circus Song."
"There's a reason Johnsons are named what they are. They'll try and fuck you at some point, no doubt about it." -Camulus

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #14 on: <09-05-17/2314:23> »
*spoken in a high falsetto while shoving a Viewmaster into your hands*  "Here, educate yourself!!"

Did have to correct the name above, though.  ;)
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.