NEWS

Recruitment: Stormy Waters Subcampaign

• 314 Replies

adamu

« on: <01-18-16/1945:18> »
Starting a game.

WHAT
This will be a sub-campaign within Aria’s Stormy Waters persistent thread. Some aspects will connect to existing storylines within the overarching campaign, some will not. Sometimes it may be unclear.

HOW
The stories here are going to be built on and evolve from the PCs’ character backgrounds and contact descriptions.

Once I accept a submission/approve a character, expect to wait a week or two for anything to happen while I work things up.

After that, each player will have their own thread for maybe 10-20 post cycles, with story completely focused on the PC as an individual. More likely day-to-day concerns than some grand shadowrun.

From there, players/threads will coalesce into pairings, which will continue for several post cycles to allow character relationships to develop organically in-game. From there, we will likely amalgamate pairs into groups, and transition the collection of personal stories into something more akin to a traditional “adventure.”

WHERE
OOC, this game will start out on both this site and Dumpshock. When threads start being combined, the surviving threads may be on one site or the other. If you are not happy to play on either or both sites, best not participate.

IC, mainly Seattle.

WHEN
We’ll start late-2075.

WHO
Anyone can play. Recruitment always open.

Characters can already be shadowrunners, or be from any other walk of life and we will make you a shadowrunner.

However, there are some strict submission requirements.

1) Any SR5 RAW system, standard power level.
2) No Infected, no freaks. By which I mean, if it doesn’t look at least sort of like one of the five basic metatypes, no. No centaurs, no pixies, no satyrs, no sasquatches, etc. And even trolls can expect to have a pretty hard time in some aspects of daily life. No sprits, drakes, or AIs. No head cases.
3) SPECIAL HACKER/TM DISCLAIMER - this is an integral part of the game I love. But I haven’t understood or liked the rules since late-SR2. You are more than welcome to play such characters, but you may not get as much love from the GM in terms of role-oriented challenges. You’ll also be responsible for explicating your mechanics in some situations, yet still have to get GM-overruled sometimes even though you understand the rules better than me.
4) You will need to submit a very detailed character history, physical description and personality profile. No specific format, but if it’s not detailed enough that I can build a complex storyline out of it, I will ask you to elaborate until I have what I need.
5) Detailed contacts. For every contact, I need a lot of details on the individual and also specifics on how the relationship developed and where it stands now. Also, you get two types contacts. Type 1 is whatever you get from your RAW build. These are ‘your’ contacts, and I won’t mess with them ‘unfairly.’ Type 2, you get a very generous 40 points to allocate to connection and loyalty, but these are ‘my’ contacts. Their still yours to use, but I don’t have to play fair with them - you got them for free but I can do what I like with them in the name of the story. Again, if details are insufficient, I’ll ask for elaboration before approving.

SUBMISSIONS
You can put things on this thread if it helps your process, but I am asking that all characters be posted IN FULL on our Obsidian Portal page.
If anyone needs invites or has questions about that, contact Aria.

REWARDS
As with all games in the Stormy Waters campaign, you get one Karma and Y2,000 per two IC posts.
The abstracted cash rewards pretty much stand in place of getting “paid” for stuff in the game.
Karma can generally be spent anytime as long as you can provide some sort of justification.

POST STYLE
For IC posts, you can do that rainbow thing if you like. Or not.
I prefer all game mechanics or other OOC stuff to be kept on the OOC thread (there will be one overarching OOC thread for this sub-campaign on each board), rather than in Spoiler boxes in the IC thread. Just my personal preference.

RECRUITMENT UPDATE

Second wave will be the end of the one-on-one, then duos, then finally groups format.
That means Beta, Chrome Head, Pap, and Brickyard if she comes back. Also Renard and Horseman if I get submissions.

I will still have recruitment open for people that want to join as others drop out, but they will be brought into the existing groups.
« Last Edit: <02-24-16/1658:46> by adamu »

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <01-20-16/1613:06> »
This sounds exciting stuff!  Looking forward to being involved!
Excel Cha Generators <<CG5.26>> & <CG6.xx> v36

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <01-20-16/1635:06> »
Ah what the hell, I'll throw my hat into the ring for an HK-47 Expy.

If that is not possible, I think I'll try my luck with a mage ;D
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

BrickyardBabe

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <01-20-16/1650:12> »
You could always go the kinkerbell/dolly route for HK-47 if you can't do a full-on robot. Take dead emotion, maybe cyberpsychosis, compulsive: must preface statements with an identifier, and impassive. It'd be expensive with that much chrome, but that's why you prioritize money at the top.

"Irritated Query: Why do artificially-challenged meatbags keep staring at me? Is there oxidation on my combat chassis?"

I'll hold off right now- after the rules snafu with Iris Mk.1 I'm a tad gun shy- but if this doesn't fill up in a couple of days, I'll see if I can't put a gunslinger adept together.

adamu

« Reply #4 on: <01-20-16/1653:47> »
Ah what the hell, I'll throw my hat into the ring for an HK-47 Expy.

If that is not possible, I think I'll try my luck with a mage ;D

Now see, I don't even get the Expy reference....

Obviously my preference would be the mage.

But the idea is for you to have fun, so if you must open the floodgates, do the character you want, and maybe I'll modify the char gen rules so it's fair for everyone.

Just as long as no one tries to play a centaur.

adamu

« Reply #5 on: <01-20-16/1656:31> »

I'll hold off right now- after the rules snafu with Iris Mk.1 I'm a tad gun shy- but if this doesn't fill up in a couple of days, I'll see if I can't put a gunslinger adept together.

It will never fill up, since recruitment will always be open.

Just not sure how many people are up for the extensive character/contact background I'm asking for...but I just don't see that being an issue for you, BB.

BrickyardBabe

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <01-20-16/1659:31> »
...you make a fair point.

Let me percolate for a bit and I'll see what I can do.

Also, if I'm reading that correctly, Jack_Spade is giving thought to making an analogue of the best comedic assassin droid ever to grace an electronic medium. Which is why I suggested all chrome. I know doing a full droid requires matrix rules and some rather convoluted steps, and a lot of the anthroform drones leave more than a bit to be desired.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <01-20-16/1659:55> »
HK 47: The best Knights of the old republic character:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg1gTas7OAA

;D
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #8 on: <01-20-16/1700:54> »
Hi, I may be interested (one game I was in just wrapped up, and another is going to be running slower than expected for a good while, so I think I have the bandwidth).  Just a couple of questions:

- what is your timeline for having characters (including background & contacts) put together?
- what are your expectations on posting speed (not that I expect this to be a real problem, but always good to know)
- not sure what you mean by 'that rainbow thing'  (unless you are talking about using different colors for speech, thought, etc.)?

adamu

« Reply #9 on: <01-20-16/1709:08> »
HK 47: The best Knights of the old republic character:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg1gTas7OAA

;D

Now I get it - and after I did searches in all my rulebook PDFs!

Yeah, my worst nightmare of a character - but hilarious.

Do as you must, meatbag.

adamu

« Reply #10 on: <01-20-16/1713:34> »
Hi, I may be interested (one game I was in just wrapped up, and another is going to be running slower than expected for a good while, so I think I have the bandwidth).  Just a couple of questions:

- what is your timeline for having characters (including background & contacts) put together?
- what are your expectations on posting speed (not that I expect this to be a real problem, but always good to know)
- not sure what you mean by 'that rainbow thing'  (unless you are talking about using different colors for speech, thought, etc.)?

Great to hear from you.

- Recruitment is always open, so make a submission when you want - I know I am asking for some work. Then understand that it may be a week or so before I get you started, as I can't prep anything until I see what you give me.

- Post as fast as you like at first, since it'll just be with me. Once other players are involved, I think it's polite to shoot for twice a week. But I'll try (TRY) to put people together with a thought to post rate - high-freq posters together, more leisurely types together...
The only inviolable rule is, if you must drop out, just a one line courtesy mail. Unannounced disappearances give the GM opportunity for messy character death!

- Yeah, that's what I meant by rainbow posts. Color or no color, I'm not bothered.

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #11 on: <01-20-16/1729:41> »
Twice a week should be no problem.  Well, maybe keeping it that slow ....  (I cut my teeth on on-line gaming not with an RPG, but with play-by-email Diplomacy.  The only way to try to align the other six players behind your views, or to figure out what they may have been planning, was mail.  I noted early on that prolific writers tended to do better, and so a pattern was born ....)

What are your thoughts on tone of the game (i.e. noir, paranoid dystopia, Mad Max :p ..... ).  This would/should probably be apparent from the Aria thread, but I'm hoping not to have to read a whole other game thread before deciding on a character concept.

adamu

« Reply #12 on: <01-20-16/1739:30> »
Twice a week should be no problem.  Well, maybe keeping it that slow ....  (I cut my teeth on on-line gaming not with an RPG, but with play-by-email Diplomacy.  The only way to try to align the other six players behind your views, or to figure out what they may have been planning, was mail.  I noted early on that prolific writers tended to do better, and so a pattern was born ....)

What are your thoughts on tone of the game (i.e. noir, paranoid dystopia, Mad Max :p ..... ).  This would/should probably be apparent from the Aria thread, but I'm hoping not to have to read a whole other game thread before deciding on a character concept.

Hey, twice a week was (A) just me trying to be reasonable, plus (B) pacing myself since not sure how busy this project is going to make me.
I am firmly in the 'post as much as you want' camp.

As for tone, well, no real need to read the other threads in Aria's overarching campaign if you don't want. I won't make that necessary. Hell, I can't keep up myself - there are a LOT of side threads tied into this world.
But I tend to be a bit all over the place. My preference is gritty in detail, but cinematic in action. Lots of grim detail, but I want to empower the characters to do big, worthwhile things.
But much will depend on what submissions I get - it can be as light or as heavy as your concept.

Above all, I want it to be character-driven and relationship-driven rather than event-driven.
I love the action parts, but they get meaningless without characters in them that we care about.

Hope that answers your questions.

DireRadiant

• SRM FAQ Committee
  • Omae
  • The Dragon Never Sleeps
« Reply #13 on: <01-20-16/1837:23> »
I can post here too. :)

adamu

« Reply #14 on: <01-20-16/1857:39> »
Cool - seen enough of your characters to be really looking forward to whatever you come up with.