NEWS

Rifts conversion

• 17 Replies

Lighthouse

• Omae
« on: <08-23-15/2254:40> »
I was thinking of running rifts but didn't like the system and am looking for something les crunchy and more balanced (not GURPS). I was thinking either Fate or Savage Worlds. What do you think?

"Fish gotta swim You know what I'm sayin." Omar

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <08-24-15/0816:51> »
I believe that a licensed SW version is in development by the guys over at Pinnacle.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <08-24-15/1137:01> »
I believe that a licensed SW version is in development by the guys over at Pinnacle.
Really ?
 I thought the Chief Developer from Palladium is a grounchy old Fellow who'd never allow any other Licenses for his precious Rifts Game ?
the World is Awesome, but the Rules need so much overhaul that its better to use another set of Rules completely .
I used GURPS (and konverted 100 SDC = 1 MDC to 10 SDC = 1 MDC )
Not GURPS,hmmmmm, .... Hero Systems wold be too complicated (ImO)
 Savage Worlds is quite a good generic System and If there really is a licenced Version go for it .....

with a surprised Dance
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <08-24-15/1148:52> »
Rifts is Coming for Savage Worlds!

You weren't the only one surprised by this one... ;)

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <08-24-15/1151:02> »
The Palladium system is not that bad, not really. It's just one of those where the first session needs to be completely devoted to character generation (or the players need to build their characters before game night).
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <08-24-15/1156:00> »
The Palladium system is not that bad, not really. It's just one of those where the first session needs to be completely devoted to character generation (or the players need to build their characters before game night).

That's never been my experience, but, in fairness, I did have a lot of fun playing RIFTS...a long time ago ;)

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #6 on: <08-24-15/1230:15> »
I found the palladium system had holes in it the size of the moon!

Many of the rules contradicted themselves, incomplete rules. Hidden rules found in random fluff....

(And people give catalyst a hard time of 5e!)

But yes, it was still enjoyable back in the 90s.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <08-24-15/1332:24> »
My first and biggest concern for Savage Worlds taking on RIFTS:

How is the power creep going to be handled?
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

Lighthouse

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <08-24-15/1336:15> »
an official SW version would be awesome. I am also looking at the cypher system and Feng Shui 2.
"Fish gotta swim You know what I'm sayin." Omar

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <08-24-15/1338:11> »
What would be awesome is if the gamer community would realize that just because a system isn't 100% perfect or 100% within what their ideal preference is, doesn't mean that it is a bad system.

Jayde Moon

• Administrator
  • Ace Runner
  • Shadowrun Missions Developer
« Reply #10 on: <08-24-15/1415:48> »
Most of my real issues with Rifts can probably be traced to our own inability to not 'WANT IT ALL'...

Instead of a GM putting together a cohesive and gripping story and then having us make characters with X-guidelines... we would make characters without guidelines and then the GM would just throw us into silly situations.

There were certainly issues with the system, but not so bad it was unplayable or anything...
That's just like... your opinion, man.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <08-24-15/1420:33> »
Most of my real issues with Rifts can probably be traced to our own inability to not 'WANT IT ALL'...

Instead of a GM putting together a cohesive and gripping story and then having us make characters with X-guidelines... we would make characters without guidelines and then the GM would just throw us into silly situations.

There were certainly issues with the system, but not so bad it was unplayable or anything...

The only times you will really run into problems is if you have a one of the CS soldier types (or equivalent) with some of the bigger supernatural types, or--to go extreme--a City Rat with a Cosmo Knight.

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <08-24-15/2126:42> »
What would be awesome is if the gamer community would realize that just because a system isn't 100% perfect or 100% within what their ideal preference is, doesn't mean that it is a bad system.

Here's the thing - I've been around Kevin's games at GenCon. When he's run Rifts games in the past they're not played with the Rifts system. It started out as Rifts, but the house rules package was considerable. I think it's rather damning of a system where the guy who runs the company, who is running a game in an official manner, to not use the rules for that game as published.
Power corrupts.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <08-25-15/0519:03> »

Here's the thing - I've been around Kevin's games at GenCon. When he's run Rifts games in the past they're not played with the Rifts system. It started out as Rifts, but the house rules package was considerable. I think it's rather damning of a system where the guy who runs the company, who is running a game in an official manner, to not use the rules for that game as published.

Yeah, Rifts has needed a serious rules revamp for sometime. I'm kind of stoked to see this new Rifts, as I absolutely love the setting.
« Last Edit: <08-25-15/1818:10> by Dinendae »

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <08-25-15/0936:51> »
I'm kind of stoked to see this new Rifts, as I absolutely love the system.

It is an awesome game setting.
Power corrupts.