NEWS

[SR4] Suggestions for Streamlining Matrix Rules (PEACH)

• 0 Replies

Nerdynick

• Newb
« on: <06-09-15/1437:42> »
Dear forums,

Long time Shadowrun fan here that has trouble with running the game because the rules are very detailed and the game gets bogged down often, which kills my players' enthusiasm for the game. I'm sure that you're aware of the infamy of hackers and deckers specifically, as running matrix scenes tends to leave the rest of the party twiddling their thumbs while the matrix character does their stuff. The intent here is to make matrix conflicts less obtrusive. 4e had a great start on this by implementing wifi so that the hacker can go with the party, but this didn't solve all the problems. Indeed, they still require separate scenes for their activities that the rest of the party can't even perceive. I ask you then, would there be anything wrong with simply turning the hacking process into a test that is abstracted from the details of the matrix? Below is an example with some brainstorming as I go. Are there any glaring problems I'm missing with this sort of approach?

Ex: Captain Chaos is hacking into LoneStar's database. The system is fairly secure, so let's say it takes 12 successes to gain access to their system. He rolls Hacking + Logic every turn and has a rating 4 exploit program so starts with 4 successes already. The LoneStar system rolls  Firewall + rating and rolls in excess of the Captain's Stealth program indicate that he has been found, and then it rolls rating + System, adding it's Attack program to any successes made, which is applied to Captain Chaos (who subtracts his Armor program from successes).  If Captain Chaos then decided to crash the system he rolls his Cybercombat + Logic and adds his Attack program to success and subtracts the IC's Armor program from successes and deals that much damage.