Author Topic: [5e IC] Circus Tricks [2075 Game Thread]  (Read 24924 times)

Aria

  • Ace Runner
  • ****
  • Posts: 1847
[5e IC] Circus Tricks [2075 Game Thread]
« on: (07:46:36/09-05-14) »
[Saturday September 14th, 2075; Outskirts of Tarislar, Puyallup, Seattle]

An unseasonably warm summer has sloped into a sultry autumn laced with storms that have lit up the night sky with spectacular pyrotechnics, particularly across the ash wastes of Puyallup where the air is charged with anticipation.  Now you are heading into the blustery wind coming off Hell’s Kitchen to try and pick up the 161 that will take you north to the outskirts of the barrens and where you get to pick up your pay cheque.

Everyone but the most obtuse runner has heard of the so called Circus of Shadows, although they’ve not been to Seattle in a while they always cause a stir when they do arrive.  They have a reputation for appearing unannounced, staying for a random period of time and then disappearing back into the shadows to resurface on the other side of the continent, or possibly the world, sometime later.  They are renowned for only ever performing after sunset and for the colour (or lack of) their costumes, tents and so on.  The entire getup, right down to the AR overlays, is in shades of grey.  From almost black to almost white and silver highlights, the only colour comes from the gaping audiences that throng to see the displays of prowess.  And there is a reason they come, even to the jaded minds of the times, the performances of magic, matrix wizardry and physical skill are truly spectacular!

Having dragged yourselves out of bed unreasonably early this morning you’d met the transport to Tarislar just as the new fixer had stipulated…and it had turned out to be a fragging zeppelin!  A bumpy ride later you and your fellow runners touched down in the elven enclave amidst the avid stares of the population who had turned out to see the circus off.  From external appearances there’s nothing to set the land trains apart from any other commercial hauler, certainly nothing to advertise the circus’ presence.

The convoy consists of two trains of some fifty meters length each and an assortment of smaller vans and trucks.  Outriders on quad bikes lead the way and overhead the blimp that you arrived in is fighting the currents to maintain its station over the centre of the snaking troupe.  The vast balloon tires of the trains whisper through the ash.  The road is lined with jaunty pines, all leaning uniformly away from Mount St Helens looming over the skyline.  The pace is barely a crawl and you can see why your eta is a dreary ten hours or so away despite the comparatively short distance…you could walk there faster!
Shadowrun Character Art
Archive of Adepts
Excel Character Generator <<CG5.21>> UPDATED Nov '17

Ericen

  • Chummer
  • **
  • Posts: 105
Re: [5e IC] Circus Tricks [2075 Game Thread]
« Reply #1 on: (13:06:21/09-05-14) »
Flicker looks at scene laid out before him and realizes this is going to be a long mission. I guess I need to find the Johnson to find out where we are storing our gear and laying our heads to rest.
     Flicker quickly inventories his gear, vest, entry equipment, power bars, gloves, ammo, sharpies, batons, sword, gas mask, flash bangs, tear gas grenades, slap patches, predator, crusader, glasses, links, pumas, jeans, t-shirts lined coat. Seems like everything is in place and held securely.
     Shoulders his duffle and heads out to find the guardian team or the Johnson.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Zweiblumen

  • Ace Runner
  • ****
  • Posts: 1803
Re: [5e IC] Circus Tricks [2075 Game Thread]
« Reply #2 on: (14:01:56/09-05-14) »
As Bittorrent arrives at the scene, he surveys the semi-organized chaos around him.  Seems like his kind of place.  His golden horns and tusks reflect the lights of the circus, and his tight dreds fall halfway down his broad back.  Tall, even for a troll, though rather thin his dark ebony skin make his blue eyes stand out even more.  He has a small duffle bag that he carries and his meticulous suit almost seems more appropriate for a Johnson.

Thinking to himself that the blimp will offer a great overwatch spot for him, he heads to find his contact.
« Last Edit: (18:28:40/09-05-14) by Zweiblumen »
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

Lusis

  • Omae
  • ***
  • Posts: 511
Re: [5e IC] Circus Tricks [2075 Game Thread]
« Reply #3 on: (15:52:57/09-05-14) »
Luz looks at the hazy sky and reaches into her pack for her respirator, a must for trips into Puyallup, and dons it. Grabbing her gear case she heads out with the others in a search for the man (or woman) in charge.
SpeechThought Matrix/E-mail/Texting

Aria

  • Ace Runner
  • ****
  • Posts: 1847
Re: [5e IC] Circus Tricks [2075 Game Thread]
« Reply #4 on: (16:14:44/09-05-14) »
Instinct leads you to a dwarf who is directing the roustabouts with a firm and competent tone

"Ah, you're here, good.  You can call me Oblique unless you prefer Johnson.  Fit yourselves in wherever you think is best.  I'll provide you the codes so that you can access what passes for a sensor mesh on the convoy...it's just a link to the nodes of the train units really, we prefer to rely on these..." and he taps the side of his head "for surveillance, that's why we hire people like you on a stretch like the one we're going through today.  Any questions find me or one of the others...oi, you lot, get to your unit, we're leaving in five..."

This last to a giggling trio of scantily clad dancers/acrobats who are staring unabashed at Bittorrent...duly chastened the girls scamper off, although not without a backward glance or two...
Shadowrun Character Art
Archive of Adepts
Excel Character Generator <<CG5.21>> UPDATED Nov '17

Lusis

  • Omae
  • ***
  • Posts: 511
Re: [5e IC] Circus Tricks [2075 Game Thread]
« Reply #5 on: (16:38:02/09-05-14) »
Luz temporarily removes the respirator, "Gracias señor. In what will the performers be traveling?"
SpeechThought Matrix/E-mail/Texting

Ericen

  • Chummer
  • **
  • Posts: 105
Re: [5e IC] Circus Tricks [2075 Game Thread]
« Reply #6 on: (20:12:08/09-05-14) »
Flicker nods at Oblique.
And heads off to find a peaceful quiet trailer to store his gear and rest in.
After he finds a place to store his gear and a bed for night he decides to explore. Checking the top of bottom of the caravan for hidden weak points and areas to hide in. Then he starts looking for the office car and if there is any security personal other than him and his new hired team. Next is to see if there is a armory car and if so what it holds.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Csjarrat

  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 5039
  • UK based GM + player
Re: [5e IC] Circus Tricks [2075 Game Thread]
« Reply #7 on: (16:25:08/09-06-14) »
Morgan shouldered his kit bag, overhearing the conversation with the head honcho. I'm gonna need full clearance on your network if I'm gonna be able to do anything about your security
Sort me out some marks and I'll get cracking.

Picking up the pace he ran as fast as his little legs could take him, eyeing up the slender and toned performing girls as he jogged to the nearest cabin. won't be such a bad job if I get more an eyeful of them hotties. Sounds like their network won't count for shit, best see what I'm working with here.
Hauling himself up onto the convoy he looked for a comfy place to get set up and jacked in to VR.
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

adamu

  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 2614
Re: [5e IC] Circus Tricks [2075 Game Thread]
« Reply #8 on: (16:41:15/09-06-14) »
Al staggered off the airship and nearly fell headlong into the gray ash dust before righting himself under his load. A rifle, shotgun, big canteen, and three good-sized satchels were clearly too much for his tiny frame. He stood just over five feet and weighed a hundred and fifty pounds soaking wet. His clothes were all too big on him.

He'd missed the initial meet-and-greet on this one, if there had even been one, handling everything by text with this Torrent fellow. The ork had a good enough rep. Al knew from watching the trid that a lot of these people who thought of themselves as "shadowrunners" liked to meet their employers. Whatever. He'd been busy lately. Never would have taken this silly job - they were always more trouble than advertised - if the guy hadn't mentioned it would be for a circus.

Al had always loved circuses.

He'd kept uncharacteristically silent on the ride over. Having spent the first half of August scrapping his Gaz around the ash wastes of Hell's Kitchen, he hadn't been able to resist taking a good look at the lie of the ground from cloud level. The team for this job was as colorful as usual, though not as pleasantly so as the last lot - that group had been over half women, all model-hot, median age maybe nineteen. Like something out of the wrong kind of sim.

Lot of missed opportunities there.

Trailing the group as they got their bearings, he noticed them talking to the head-dwarf-in-charge, but he'd been too busy looking at the barely dressed circus girls to hear anything that was said. Then people seemed to go their own ways - not a lot of cohesion yet, certainly no one stepping up on the leader front - suited him just fine. He trudged the long stretch up to the head of the lead train.

Letting the satchels drop, he climbed the ladder to the cab. The hands gripping the rungs looked as though they were melting around the aluminum rods, so horrifc was the burn scarring that covered them. It was early enough in the fall morning that he was glad for the ancient brown leather bomber jacket that covered him. The face that appeared in the window, startling the driver, had unattractively craggy features topped by an unkempt mop of sandy hair and framed by sideburns. The nose sported a unique line that could only be the product of several breaks. He had a red bandanna around his neck and a dusty pair of goggles on his forehead. The huge smile was like a wolf's, if wolves had Lucky Strikes hanging from the corner of their mouths.

He tapped at the window with a tobacco-stained fingernail, and the driver lowered it. Al loved working with men that worked for a living. Before the husky teamster could say a word, Al's scarred right hand was thrust through the aperture in an enthusiastic greeting - the man couldn't help but shake. "Top o' the mornin', kemo sabe. Alouicious Harlan Guthrie, esquire, at yer service."

"Uh, Frank. Driver."

"Allahu akbar, Frank. Looks like ol' Al's been tasked with supplementalizin' the security fer this show, an' I hope a free ticket's included inna fee."

"Well, I couldn't…"

"No, no, Al ain't no beggar. Feller's gotta work fer a livin', jist like it sez inna Good Book. Simply wuz hopin' I could ride up here with you. Reckon it's the best place to keep an eye onna horizon."

"Actually, be kind of tight. Other driver, Tyrone, he's a troll, right. Sorry, man, always welcome any extra security."

"Not to worry, amigo. I'd be onna running board, or up on top if things git sticky. Won't take no seatage up. Nosirreebob. Long as ya don't mind the company, an' ya don't mind muh bags tucked behind the seat there."

And the two men shook hands again.
« Last Edit: (13:32:51/09-08-14) by adamu »

Zweiblumen

  • Ace Runner
  • ****
  • Posts: 1803
Re: [5e IC] Circus Tricks [2075 Game Thread]
« Reply #9 on: (14:40:39/09-08-14) »
Bittorrent smiles warmly at the dancers.  As he continues to walk with Oblique a bit, he turns his big golden smile towards the dwarf.  Oblique, could you point me in the direction where I could find a more quiet place that would suit my size and, shall we say, stature?
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

8-bit

  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 2737
Re: [5e IC] Circus Tricks [2075 Game Thread]
« Reply #10 on: (00:04:45/09-09-14) »
After stepping off of the zeppelin, Ghost takes a moment to orient himself; getting used to the noise of the convoy around him. He slowly shakes his head at how slowly the train is moving.

No wonder they brought us on board for security; anybody could jump on this thing and get around without even breaking a sweat. At least they don't stand out. They could have had big neon signs. Might have made it more fun. Guess I'd better check out their security; looks like I got time to kill.

He shakes his head again as he picks up his bag full of highly illegal weapons. As he moves throughout the train he thinks,

I hope this Circus is as good as everyone thinks it is.
SpeechThoughtMatrix/E-mail/TextingAstralSub-vocal, Whisper

Allergies' Thread

Carathas

  • Newb
  • *
  • Posts: 15
Re: [5e IC] Circus Tricks [2075 Game Thread]
« Reply #11 on: (05:31:35/09-09-14) »
Leaflock snapped his commlink shut and smiled to himself. A new job was welcome, a new contact also appreciated but he was already running late to this party and needed to get a move on. The original transport had already left.

He quickly grabbed his duffel from the closet and threw in his customary travelling gear; a change of clothes, some personal items, his stubby little Defiance shotgun and some spare ammo. The rest of his normal working gear was already tucked away in the worn leather messenger bag that was usually slung over his shoulder.

Pulling on his worn surplus armor jacket and AR glasses, he made his way down to the little parking lot beside his apartment and secured the duffel onto his big Yamaha enduro bike.

The trip out from Auburn to Puyallup was thankfully short and uneventful, for once business didn't take him into the city proper. He could see the tail end of the road train still hadn't moved as he slowed his approach, pulling up a little way short of his final destination to quickly scan the unfamiliar scene.

It didn't take long to identify the chummer in charge of this gig - he kicked his bike forward pulling up alongside the dwarf doing all the yelling and then killed the motor.

"Hoi chummer, the names Leaflock, Leaf actually - a friend sent me along to lend a hand. Can I stash my bike in one of your trailers for now? I'm not much use as an outrider."

Aria

  • Ace Runner
  • ****
  • Posts: 1847
Re: [5e IC] Circus Tricks [2075 Game Thread]
« Reply #12 on: (12:31:15/09-09-14) »
[Saturday September 14th, 2075; Moving out of Tarislar, Puyallup, Seattle]

@Luz:

"Gracias señor. In what will the performers be traveling?"

Oblique gives you a rather harassed look and gestures vaguely towards the trains “Wherever there’s space!  Some of the compartments are private space, there are a few RVs in the convoy for those of the troupe that have families… No! Not over there you idiot, stow it with the rest of the set in number seven…”
 
@Flicker:

Leaving Oblique to answer the flurry of questions you head out along the length of the convoy.  Given its apparent speed the whole thing is potentially a security nightmare, but then that’s why you here no?  A look at the ARO provided by Oblique shows there’s an admin area in the front train but no armoury to speak of.  A few of the roustabouts sport weapons hanging from handy belt loops, they are used to travelling through interesting terrain after all…

@Morgan:

“I'm gonna need full clearance on your network if I'm gonna be able to do anything about your security.  Sort me out some marks and I'll get cracking.”

“I said number seven, get those things out of your ears and concentrate!  Fraggin’ Hell!  Yes, yes, they will sort you out in administration…over that way”

@Al:

When Tyrone finally ascends to the cab you are just as glad you decided not to ride with Frank.  Trolls aren’t renowned for their good looks and this one looks as if he’s been in as many wars as yourself and has done considerably more damage to his good looks.  He leers at you “You’re a looker intcha?” before grunting to Frank in a guttural slang version of Cityspeek that sounds derived from something Germanic…

@Bittorrent:

“Oblique, could you point me in the direction where I could find a more quiet place that would suit my size and, shall we say, stature?”

He looks up at you, and up again, and grunts, calling back one of the pretty dancers “Bethan, take golden boy here with the halfer to admin, they can get the matrix access they want there and I’m sure they’ll appreciate the company” he grins at Morgan and yourself.  Pretty Bethan reaches out to take your hand, not shy this one, and drags you up the convoy towards the front train whilst whispering, and giggling, something inaudible into her comm…

@Ghost:

The other runners seem to be spreading themselves fairly evenly across the convoy and picking a point along its length you settle in for the ride

@Leaflock:

"Hoi chummer, the names Leaflock, Leaf actually - a friend sent me along to lend a hand. Can I stash my bike in one of your trailers for now? I'm not much use as an outrider."

Oblique gestures towards the end of the second train “Go and talk to Bishop, you can stow it down there…right, let’s get this beast on the move!”

@All:

And move this beast does…The gait is ponderous, perhaps two miles an hour.  The wind is picking up bringing the sulfer stink from Hell’s Kitchen to claw at the back of your throats even with sophisticated rebreathers cutting out the fumes.  A message appears in your inboxes

<<@Team [Torrent]: I’m told you are on board.  Coordinate through the admin group and Bittorrent or Morgan.  If you need anything extra let me know…I’m new in Seattle and I want this one to go as smooth as silk, no frag ups!>>



Shadowrun Character Art
Archive of Adepts
Excel Character Generator <<CG5.21>> UPDATED Nov '17

Zweiblumen

  • Ace Runner
  • ****
  • Posts: 1803
Re: [5e IC] Circus Tricks [2075 Game Thread]
« Reply #13 on: (18:05:06/09-09-14) »
Bittorrent thanks Oblique graciously.  He gently takes Bethan's hand and winks enderingly at her as he followers her to the train.

Once Bethan introduces him to whomever is in charge at Admin he smiles charmingly to Bethan and asks if she would mind stashing his duffel where ever he'll be crashing.  Then he turns his attention to business.  Once he's given the codes to the security mesh he begins to scan the area in AR and calls up XON to do more searches.
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

Carathas

  • Newb
  • *
  • Posts: 15
Re: [5e IC] Circus Tricks [2075 Game Thread]
« Reply #14 on: (04:44:04/09-10-14) »
After stowing his bike on the rearmost trailer, Leaf sat down for a moment and pulled out his commlink, tapping a message to his new colleagues...

-I'm down at the tail end of the train and all seems under control for now. I'll see if I can arrange some cover for our astral perimeter if I can find somewhere quiet to make the necessary arrangements. Meanwhile, should we meet for a quick discussion? Leaf-

Snapping his commlink shut he began to move around the trailer looking for a spot to try summoning some astral assistance.