NEWS

4E Shadowrun/Next Project! (Any D&D 5E playtesters check this out!)

• 5 Replies

Phoenix8008

• Newb
« on: <05-23-14/2358:27> »
So, here's the issue. My group played Shadowrun for awhile and while the world was great, the combat and rules were so much to slog through that when the D&D Next playtest was announced, we jumped to that. Being D&D players originally, I'll admit we had bias. But what they had done with that system was such an improvement on every D&D edition before it that I was flabergasted. I had a wild thought one day. What if I could somehow simplify the rules of Shadowrun enough that it would be simple like that as well? So I started reading my Shadowrun book and making some wild notes and something started to materialize... a D20 based Shadowrun system! I know, I know. It's probably heresy to speak of it. But if you don't totally want to burn me at the stake and you have any interest in seeing the fruits of my labor, then continue reading, please.

I know it doesn't require pounds of d6's, but it seems to work... so far. I'm sure it's not perfect and there are a few areas I've had to mark 'come back and fix this later', but not as many as you'd think. So, here's what I did. The character creation stays completely unchanged. You still build the characters with point buy and stat everything the same. The only thing (so far) added onto the character sheet would be some Defense scores (like Armor Classes in D&D). The stuff I'm altering is the resolution system itself. Due to time factors, laziness, and legal reasons, I have this set up as if it's an errata for the 4E 20th anniversary Shadowrun rulebook. If you're familiar enough with the rules, you may be able to just read through my 'errata' pages and get the gist of what's being changed and what effect that has on the system. More than likely, if you have enough interest to be going through it to find out more, you may be willing to crack open your book and go back and forth to see the original and the changes I'm proposing.

I've playtested the combat some with a friend and it went smoothly and QUICKLY! This was the thing I was looking for the most. So, why am I posting this here? On one hand I want to share and what I've done so far and get any ideas that anyone has for improving it. This isn't something that could ever be published, so I'm not worried about it being stolen. If you like it, print it and try it yourself. On the other hand, you'll notice in reading to this point that I've used the phrase 'so far' several times. My work isn't done and it's hard going. I'm near the end of the chapter on Magic. I've only got 'The Wireless World', 'Running the Shadows', and 'Friends and Foes' chapters left. I don't think the equipment chapter will need much modifying. So, I'm putting this out there to gather any input from anyone interested enough to check it out at all. Or if you're a real loon, maybe you want to try continuing what I've done so far. I'm more than happy to share any glory if there's anyone else that steps up to assist with finishing this project. Part of me doesn't want to do this. I partly want to keep it to myself so it's all my doing if I finish it finally. I'd love to sit down and actually play the whole system myself someday. But I'm starting to wonder how long that would take due to my time constraints. So I'm going to put this here and see what people think, what people say, and go from there. I'll check back to try and answer any questions that anyone may have. Hope you enjoy...

*EDIT: Updates or changes due to discussion below is put in RED TEXT so it stands out for further review or just so I can see what has been modified.
« Last Edit: <06-01-14/0854:19> by Phoenix8008 »

Phoenix8008

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <05-24-14/0012:32> »
*** THE FOLLOWING CONSTITUTES CHANGES TO THE SHADOWRUN 4E (20TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION). FOLLOW THAT BOOK FOR ANY RULES TREATING WHAT IS LISTED BELOW AS ERRATA/CHANGES TO THOSE RULES. ***

P. 60 - MAKING TESTS: Roll 1d20 and add modifiers. Compare to DC of test and get success if equal to or greater than target DC #.

Possible Modifiers:
-Attribute Modifiers
-Skill Modifiers
-Threshold Modifiers
-Other Modifiers (including anything listed as a Dice Pool Modifier)

If situational modifiers exceed +10/-10, then apply a +5/-5 modifier instead and get Advantage/Disadvantage on the roll (roll the d20 twice and take the best or worst of the two rolls before adding any modifiers).

P. 61 ATTRIBUTE ONLY TEST: If no skill applies, GM picks 2 seperate Attributes and the player rolls 1d20 plus modifiers from both of those Attributes.

P. 61 DEFAULTING: If using a skill with zero ranks, ROLL 1D20 and only add related Attribute modifiers.

P. 61 DICE POOL MODIFIERS: Treat any +/- "Dice Pool Modifier" or instructions to "add and additional die" as an "Other Modifier" with the same total +/- number.

P. 61 LONG SHOTS: If modifiers from all sources total zero or less, then a test automatically fails unless a point of Edge is spent. Then the test is made with a modifier (positive) equal to the characters Edge Attribute.

P. 62 SUCCESS TEST DC'S: (Based on 400 Build Points. -4DC for 300 BP's and +4 DC for 500 BP's)
Easy=                 DC16              Original Threshold=1
Average=           DC20              Original Threshold=2
Hard=                 DC24              Original Threshold=3
Harder=              DC28              Original Threshold=4
Extreme=           DC32+             Original Threshold=5+

P. 62 BUYING HITS: *No such thing in conversion*

P. 62 GLITCHES: If a natural 2, 3, or 4 is rolled on the D20 during a test, a glitch results. If a natural 1 is rolled on the D20, then he/she has made a critical glitch. Edge can be spent to negate a glitch or to turn a critical glitch into a regular glitch (but the test is still failed).

P. 62 RULE OF SIX: *No such thing in conversion*

P. 63 NOTATION: Should now be like: "Infiltration + Agility (DC24) test".

P. 64 EXTENDED TESTS: Assign an interval as normal and a difficulty from the following chart:
Difficulty                   Threshold
Easy                             DC30
Average                       DC60
Hard                             DC90
Extreme                       DC120
Then, the player rolls multiple skill tests and adds the totals together until the threshold is met, or time runs out. Each roll uses up 1 interval of time.

Example: Mechanics + Logic (DC 75, 1 hour interval) extended test. Character has 12 hours to fix Mob bosses car with Mechanic 4 + Logic 3 (total +7). 1st roll 12+7=19, 2nd roll is 8+7=15 (+19=34 so far), 3rd roll is 4+7=11 (+34= 45 so far), 4th roll is 8+7=15 (+45=60 so far), 5th roll is 12+7=19 (+60=79) which beats the DC in just 5 hours of work.

P. 65 EXTENDED TESTS & GLITCHES: If 1 glitch is rolled during an extended test, the GM rolls 1d20 + (same modifier PC used for test) and subtracts it from the total gained so far. If this brings the total down to zero or less, the extended test fails.

If 3 glitches are rolled during an extended test, it is immediately aborted, but could be started over still if time allows.

P.65 RUSHING THE JOB: Can cut the interval period in half, but a glitch occurs on a natural 1, 2, or 3 while rushing.

P.65 TEAMWORK TESTS: If working as a team, pick one character as Primary. Any supporting character with ranks in the appropriate skill can attempt a DC 20 test with that Skill + Attribute. Any who succeed add a +1 modifier to the test that the Primary makes.

If any of the assisting characters rolls a critical glitch, raise the DC of the Primary test by 5 (or by 15 for an extended test).

P.65 CRITICAL SUCCESS: Any time a character rolls a total of 10 higher than the DC of a test, he has scored a critical success... *This value of 10 may need tinkering with*

P.65 TIME: Keep combat turns and intiative passes & actions the same. *For now - may need tinkering*

P.68 SPECIALIZATIONS: Gives a flat +2 bonus to a skill check that it applies to.

P. 74 SPENDING EDGE: 1. If you declare the use of Edge before rolling for any one test (or one interval roll of an Extended Test), you may add a bonus to the roll equal to the Edge Attribute.
2. If you declare the use of Edge after tolling for a test, you may reroll the test, but there is no bonus added to the roll.
3. The third listed option in the original book isn't possible, but the remainder of the options are usable as listed.

P. 138 BUILD / REPAIR TABLE: *May need tinkering*
Item or Part Built / Repair  ---   Threshold
Simple / Malfunction   ---   20
Basic / Easy Fix   ---   25
Complex / Common Repair   ---   40
Intricate / Serious Damage   ---   60
Exotic / Broken Beyond Repair   ---   80

P. 144 #6. BEGIN A NEW COMBAT TURN: Begin a new Combat Turn, starting again at Step #2 and continuing through Step #6. (DON'T reroll Initiative every Turn)

P. 144 INITIATIVE SCORE: Roll 1d20 plus a characters initiative attribute (Reaction plus Intuition) to get the Initiative Score.

P. 145 INITIATIVE GLITCHES: If a character rolls a natural 1, 2, 3, or 4 on the d20 during an Initiative Test, then the character automatically goes after anyone who has the same initiative score as him (instead of simultaneously).

If a character who rolled a glitch during the Initiative Test is also going last in the initiative order, then he also loses one of his extra actions (if any) during the first Combat Turn of the fight. This doesn't affect characters who have only 1 action per turn.

P. 148 MOVEMENT: Characters may move up to their maximum walking distance once per combat turn (with no action taken). As a free action, a character may run up to their maximum running rate once per combat turn. Running confers a -2 modifier on any tests except for charging attacks and defending against attacks. Characters may wither walk or run in a Combat Turn, not both. Maximum Walking speed = Agility x2 in meters and maximum Running speed = Agility x4 in meters. As soon as the character exceeds their maximum walking rate they are considered to be Running until the end of the Combat Turn and incur any benefits or penalties of such.

P. 149 THE COMBAT SEQUENCE:
Step 1 - Declare Attack: Attacker declares an attack as part of the Declare Actions part of his Action Phase (p. 146) and spends an appropriate action depending on the type of attack. The defender also declares what method he is using to defend.

Possible Methods of Defense:
Ranged Normal AC = 10 + Reaction Mod
Ranged Full Defense AC = 10 + Reaction Mod + Dodge (or Gymnastics) Mod
Melee Parry AC = 10 + Weapon Skill + Reaction Mod
Melee Block AC = 10 + Unarmed Combat + Reaction Mod
Melee Dodge AC = 10 + Dodge + Reaction Mod
Melee Full Defense AC = 10 + (Weapon Skill or Dodge) + Dodge + Reaction Mod
Physical Spell Defense = 10 + (Body x2)
Mana Spell Defense = 10 + (Willpower x2)

Step 2 - Apply Situational Modifiers: No change from what is listed in the book

Step 3 - Make the Attack Roll: The Attacker folls 1d20 + attack skill + attribute +/- modifiers. If the total attack roll is equal to the target's Defense score, the GM may choose to rule is as a grazing hit. This does no damage, but contact is made which allows certain contact only attacks (poisons, shock gloves, touch only combat spells, etc.) to still do damage. LUCKY SHOT: If the attack roll is a natural 20, then the attack automatically hits and the defender suffers a -20 modifier to their armor value for this attack.

If the attack roll is higher than the targets Defense score, then the attack is a hit. Subtract the targets Defense score from the total attack roll. Then divide that remainder by 3 (rounded down). This number would be equivalent to the 'net hits' in the main book. Add this number to the base Damage Value of the attack / weapon. This is the Modified Damage Value.

Step 4 - Compare Armor: Determine the type of armor used to defend against the specific attack (see Armor, p. 160), and apply the attack's Armor Penetration modifier (see p. 162) to get the Modified Armor Value.

If the attack causes Physical damage, compare the modified damage value (from Step #3) to the modified armor value. If the Modified Damage Value is not higher than the Modified Armor Value, then the attack inflicts Stun rather than Physical Damage.

Step 5 - Armor Damage Reduction: Subtract the targets (Modified Armor Value + attribute) from the Modified Damage Value. If the Modified Damage Value is reduced to zero or less, no damage is inflicted due to the armor stopping it.

Step 6 - Apply Damage: Apply remaining Modified Damage Value (after the subtraction in Step 5) to the targets Condition Monitor and check for knockdown (p. 161) and Wound Modifiers (p. 163).

***********************Example of Combat Rules***********************
1. Attacker declares ranged attack with an Ares Predator IV pistol at a rival gang member. The defender chooses to use Full Defense.

2. Attacker gets a +2 Situational modifier for the Smartlink on his weapon.

3. Attacker rolls 1d20 +3 (Pistols) +3 (Agilitiy) +2 (Smartlink). He rolls a 12, giving him a total attack roll of 20 (12+3+3+2=20). The target's Ranged Full Defense AC is 16 (10 + 4 Reaction +2  Dodge). Attack roll is higher than the target's AC, so the attack hits. 20 (attack roll total) - 16 (AC) = 4. 4 divided by 3 equals 1 and 1/3 (rounded down to 1). Add 1 to the base damage value of the his pistol (5P normally) for a Modified Damage Value of 6P.

4. Armor Clothing (B4/I0) gets reduced to B3 due to a -1 armor penetration from the Ares Predator IV pistol. Modified Armor Value is 3 (Ballistic). The physical Modified Damage Value (6) is higher than the Modified Armor Value (3), so damage remains physical, not stun.

5. Modified Damage Value (6) minus the Modified Armor Value (3) minus Body attribute 2 equals 1 remaining damage.

6. Target takes 1 damage but doesn't gets a -1 wound modifier, and isn't knocked down (due to Body 2 score).

P.154 SUPPRESSIVE FIRE: (Paragraph 3) ...with a threshol equal to the attack roll total of the suppressing attacker.

P.162 DAMAGE RESISTANCE TESTS: IGNORE! No such thing! See Step 5 - Armor Damage Reduction, pg. 149.

P.165 SURPRISE TESTS: To resolve surprise situations, all participants must make an Initiative Test (Reaction + Intuition + 1d20). Note the total rolled for each character - this is the threshold...

P.177 COUNTERSPELLING: See pg. 188 for all info.

P.177 SUMMONING: See pg. 188 for all info.

P.177 BANISHING: See pg. 188 for all info.

P.177 BINDING: See pg. 188 for all info.

P.178 DRAIN: (paragraph 1) ...Magical actions that cause Drain have a Drain Value DC.

(paragraph 3) The base Drain Value DC for Spellcasting is listed in the spell's description (p. 203). For Summoning and Binding spirits, the Drain Value DC is equal to 10 + twice the Force of the Spirit in question.

(paragraph 4) Each Drain Resistance Test comprises a 1d20 roll plus Willpower plus Logic or Charisma. This roll total is compared to the Drain Value DC to determine success. If the roll total is higher than the DC, then no Drain damage is suffered. Otherwise, subtract the roll total from the DC of the Drain Value. The number remaining is divided by 3 (rounded down to the nearest whole number) to find the amount of the Drain Damage. So if the Drain Value DC is 26 adn the roll total is 24, then the remainder of 2, when divided by 3, is less than 1. So no Drain Damage is suffered. If the DC is 26 and the roll total is 21, then 26-21=5. 5 divided by 3 = 1 and 2/3, rounded down to a total of 1 Drain Damage suffered. Drain is usually Stun damage... (rest of paragraph 4 is the same)

P.179 NOTICING MAGIC: (paragraph 2) Noticing if someone is using a magical skill requires a Perception test with a DC equal to 16 minus the magic's Force x3. (Example: Force 3 (x3=9). 16-9=7 DC Perception Test)... (rest of paragraph 2 is the same.)

P.182 FORCE: (paragraph 3) A spells Force limits the maximum total roll that can be achieved on a Spellcasting Test to [(Force x3)+10]. So if you cast a Force 3 spell and roll a 20 + 3 (Magic) + 3 (Spellcasting)  = 26, the maximum usable out of that roll is 19 [10 + (Force 3 x3=9)] for any spell that requires a threshold of success beyond just hitting the target. This limitation does not apply to any bonus gained from using Edge to boost a spell. ***Values in this may need tinkering***

P.182 LEARNING SPELLS: (paragraph 5) Once a magician hass access to a spell formula or teacher, she makes a Spellcasting + Intuition (Threshold 30, 1 day) Extended Test. Instructors can make an Instruction Test (p. 134) to add a bonus to the test... (rest is the same)

P.183 AREA SPELLS: ...This is done by witholding bonuses from the Spellcasting test. The caster can reduce or expand the base radius by 1 meter for every 1 he reduces his modifier by (not more than the total ranks of Spellcasting + Magis combined). Any bonus to the roll which is used to change the area of effect cannot be used in any other test, such as resisting Drain for that spell.

P. 183 STEP 5: DETERMINE EFFECT: Some spells simply require a Susccess Test, with the total roll above a set DC determining the level of success (as noted in the spell description). The Spellcasting + Magic total roll must be equal to or higher than the set DC to succeed and may need to be higher if the effect has a threshold for success. Every 3 points above the target DC counts as 1 point of Threshold reached (same as Net Hits in original system). The spellcaster can always choose to use less than the total amount rolled in a Spellcasting Test.

Spells cast on living or magic targets are often resisted and the casters Spellcasting Test roll is compared to the targets Physical or Mana Spell Defense score to see if he succeeds or not. For area spells, the magician only rolls once and compares his total roll to each targets Defense score seperately. The targets Physical Spell Defense is equal to 10 + (Body x2), and the Mana Spell Defense is equal to 10 + (Willpower x2). If the target is also protected by Counterspelling (pg 185), she may add it as a bonus to her Defense score also. The Defense score is further modified by any positive cover modifier the target might benefit from (see 'Defender / Target has Partial Cover or Good Cover', pg 160). If the target of a spell is on the other side of a mana barrier (pg 194), a bonus equal to the Force of that barrier is added to the targets Physical or Mana Spell Defense. The caster's roll total must be equal to or greater than the target's Spell Defense  score for the spell to succeed.

Non-living objects have a Spell Defense listed on the Object Resistance Table converted as follows: 1=Def 15, 2=Def 20, 3=Def 25, 4= 30+, etc.

Spells cast on astral objects like mana barriers or active foci have Defense scores of 10 + (Force x2).

P.184 STEP 6: RESIST DRAIN: Magicians roll 1d20 + Willpower + (Logic or Charisma) and compare their total roll to the Drain Value DC listed for the spell being cast. If the total rolled is higher than the Drain Value DC, then no Drain Damage is sustained. Otherwise, subtract the total roll from the Drain Value DC # and the caster takes 1 point of Drain Damage for every 3 that the roll missed the DC by. (Example: DC 26 vs roll of 24 = no Drain Damage since the DC was missed by less than 3. DC 26 vs roll of 19 = 2 Drain Damage.)

Note that wound modifiers or sustained spells have no effect on Drain Resistance tests. Drain Damage for spells is Stun Damage unless the magician is Overcasting (see pg 182).

P.184 STEP 7: ONGOING EFFECTS: (paragraph 3) If the magicians' concentration is disrupted while sustaining the spell, she must make a Spellcasting + Willpower (DC20) test to avoid dropping the sustained spell (note that the sustaining modifier does not apply to this test).

P.185 TEAM LEADER: ...The leader's Ritual Spellcasting + Magic skills form the bonus to the die roll used to determine the spells success...

P.185 CASTING A RITUAL SPELL: (paragraph 2) When casting begins, the base bonus to the roll is equal to the leader's  Ritual Spellcasting + Magic. Each additional member of the team makes a Ritual Spellcasting + Magic test as if they were casting the spell. For every 3 that a member beats the DC by, add a +1 bonus to the leaders Ritual Spellcasting + Magic  test. Individuals may use foci to supplement their own tests.

P.185 SPELL DEFENSE: (paragraph 2) When a protected character is targeted with a spell, she adds a bonus to her Defense score equal to the Counterspelling skill score. If multiple protected characters are targeted by the same spell, the full Counterspelling bonus applies to each target equally.

P.185 GLITCHES: CAN'T HAPPEN SINCE IT ISN'T AN OPPOSED TEST NOW.

P.185 DISPELLING SUSTAINED SPELLS: (paragraph 2) The dispelling magician makes a Counterspelling + Magic test against a DC of 10 plus teh Spell's Force + caster's Magic (+ any Karma spent in the case of quickened spells). For every 3 by which the roll beats the DC, reduce the Threshold (net hits) from the original test to cast the spell.
« Last Edit: <06-01-14/0902:54> by Phoenix8008 »

Phoenix8008

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <05-24-14/0013:12> »
Continued from above...

P.187 MAGICAL SERVICES: (paragraph 2) When a spirit performs the 'Aid Sorcery' service, it adds it's Force rating as a modifier to the summoner's roll for any Spellcasting, Ritual Spellcasting, or Counterspelling attempt, regardless of the time required for the test.

(paragraph 3) Spirits can provide a roll modifier to help magicians learn new spells  through 'Aid Study'. Doing so costs a service. The spirit adds it's Force as a modifier to the Extended Learning test (see 'Learning Spells', pg 182).

P.188 SUMMONING: (4th sentance) She then makes a Summoning test, rolling 1d20 + Summoning + Magic versus the DC equal to 10 + the spirit's chosen Force level. (Ex: A Force 4 spirit would have a Summoning DC of 14)

(paragraph 2) If the magician rolls equal to or higher than the Summoning DC of the spirit then a minimum of one, but possibly more, services are owed to the summoner by the spirit. If the magician doesn't roll at least equal to the DC, no spirit appears. Whether a spirit comes or not, the magician must resist Drain. For every 3 points that the roll is higher than the DC, one more service is owed to the caster by the spirit.

P.188 SUMMONING DRAIN: The Drain Value DC for Summoning is equal to 10 + (Force x2 of the Spirit).

(paragraph 2) Magicians roll 1d20 + Willpower + (Logic or Charisma) and compare their total roll to the Summoning Drain Value  DC for the spirit being summoned. If the roll is higher than the DC, then no drain is suffered. Otherwise, subtract the total roll from the Drain DC and the caster takes 1 Drain Damage for every 3 points that the roll missed the DC by. (See 'Resist Drain', pg 184)

P.188 BANISHING: (3rd sentance) The banisher rolls 1d20 + Banishing + Magic versus a DC equal to 10 + the Spirit's Force if unbound, or 10 + the Spirit's Force + summoners Magic if bound. The banishing magician may use a banishing focus to add modifiers to his roll (see pg 199).

Rolling equal to the Banishing DC reduces the services owed by the targeted spirit by 1. For every 3 that the Banishing roll beats the DC by, one more service is subtracted from those owed by the spirit. If the spirits services are reduced to zero or less, the spirit will seek to depart on it's next action.

Banishing causes Drain with a DC of 10 + Force (or 10 + Force + summoners Magic skill if bound) which is resisted as usual by the Banisher (see pg 184, Step 6).

P.188 BINDING: (paragraph 2) At the end of the ritual, the magician makes an opposed test pitting her 1d20 + Binding + Magic against a DC equal to 10 + the Spirits Force x2. Rolling equal to the DC means that the spirit is bound and owes the caster 1 service. For every 3 above the DC that the caster rolls, 1 more service is owed to the caster by the spirit.

P.189 SUMMONING WATCHERS: ...To summon a watcher, the magician makes a Summoning + Magic test. For every 3 above the DC of 10 which the magician rolls, the watcher gains one hour of lifespan. The summoner must then resist Drain with a DC value equal to 10 + the number of hours in the watcher's lifespan.

P.190 THE FOCUS FORMULA: (paragraph 4) Researching  a focus forula is an Arcana + Magic (Force x20, 1 Day) Extended Test... A character can translate a focus formula from one tradition to another with an Arcana + Magic ((Force x4) +10 DC, 1 Day) Extended Test.

P.190 CRAFTING FOCI: (paragraph 2) Crafting a Focus is an Enchanting + Magic [(Object Resistance x5) + 80 DC, 1 Day] Extended Test.

P.191 ASSENSING TABLE: Hits: 1=DC15, 2=DC20, 3=DC25, 4=DC30, 5=DC35+.

P.192 ASTRAL SIGNATURES: (paragraph 2) A character can attempt to read an astral signature with an Assensing test. Meeting or exceeding a DC25 is required to detect the signature... (rest is the same)

P.192 ASTRAL ATTRIBUTES CHART: Astral Initiative = 1d20 + Intuition x2.

P.192 ASTRAL COMBAT CHART: ***fill in later***

P.193 ASTRAL DETECTION: (sentence 2) Make a Perception + Intuition (DC 28) Test; apply a +2 modifier bonus if the character is Awakened.

P.193 ASTRAL TRACKING: (Paragraph 2) Following an astral link requires an Assensing + Intuition (DC 28, 1 hour) Extended Test, modified as noted on the Astral Trakcing Modifiers table (p 192).

P.194 WARDS: (middle of paragrapgh 2) ...At the end of the ritual, make a Magic + Willpower Test (if more than one character is helping to create the ward, use the rules for teamwork, p. 65). Subtract 12 from the total roll and divide the result by 2 and drop any fractions. The remaining whole number is the number of weeks that the ward lasts before dissolving... (the rest of the info is the same.

P.194 PASSING THROUGH BARRIERS: Awakened characters have learned other methods of forcing their way through an astral barrier, however, and may "press through" a barrier with a Magic + Charisma Opposed Test  against the DC of the Force of the barrier x2 +10. If the character rolls higher than the DC of the barrier, she forces her way through the barrier to the other side. The character may also bring a number of friends, spirits, active foci, sustained spells, or other astral forms with her through the barrier equal to the character's total roll minus the barriers Force x2, divided by 3. So if the total roll was 18 vs a DC 10 (Force 5 barrier), then the character rolled higher by 8 (18 - 10) and can bring 2 allies with him through the barrier (8 divided by 3 = 2 and 2/3rds). If the character doesn't roll higher than the DC, she fails to break through.

(middle of paragraph 3) In this case, make the same Test described above (vs. DC = Force x2, +10 for spirits, spells, foci, etc.).

P.195 ATTRIBUTE BOOST: (paragraph 2) To gain the boost, make a Magic + (Attribute Boost rating) Test versus DC 10. For every 3 by which the DC is beat, the character gains a bonus to the attribute being boosted. The boost lasts for a number of Combat Turns equal to twice the amount it was boosted by.

(paragraph 3) When the boost runs out, you must resist Drain equal to the Attribute Boost rating using Willpower + Body vs DC10; For every 3 which the character rolls higher than the DC, the Drain Value is reduced by 1.

P.195 COMBAT SENSE: (sentance 2) The character gains +1 per level of Combat Sense for Reaction on Surprise Tests and when defending against ranged and melee attacks.

P.196 MISSLE PARRY:
Cost: .25 per level
   You can catch slow-moving missile weapons such as arrows, thrown knives, grenades, or shuriken out of the air. When using this power, the defender declares which of the following Defenses to utilize against the incomming ranged attack:
-Ranged Missle Parry AC = 10 + Reaction Mod + Missle Parry rank
-Ranged Full Defense Missle Parry AC = 10 + Reaction Mod + Dodge + Missle Parry rank
To successfully grab the missle weapon out of the air, the attack roll total must be lower than the Missle Parry AC defined above. Using Missle Parry is a Free Action.

P. 198 MASKING: (2nd paragraph) When someone attempts to assense the aura of an initiate using masking, make an opposed test of 1D20 + Assensing + Intuition against the initiate's 1D20 + Intuition + Magic + initiate grade. If the one assensing has a lower total roll, they see only the false aura. If they roll higher, they will see both the illusory aura she provided and her true aura.

P. 200 MENTOR SPIRIT ARCHETYPES - BEAR - DISADVANTAGES: Bear magicians can go berserk when wounded (taking physical damage) in combat or if someone under their care is badly injured. Roll 1D20 + Willpower + Charisma (wound modifiers apply), and compare the result to the following table to determine result:
Total Roll     Effect
15 or less     Goes berserk for 3 turns
16-19            Goes berserk for 2 turns
20-23            Goes berserk for 1 turn
24 +               Avoids going berserk

P. 203 COMBAT SPELLS - DIRECT COMBAT SPELLS: (1st paragraph) The caster's 1D20 + Spellcasting + Magic Test roll is compared to the targets Physical Spell Defense (for physical spells) or Mana Spell Defense score (for mana spells), plus Counterspelling (if available) to see if he succeeds or not. This opposed Test is done in place of the standard Step 5 - Armor Damage Reduction in the Combat Sequence on p. 149. The caster's roll must be equal to or higher than the Spell Defense score of the target for the spell to take effect. Direct Combat spells affect the target from the inside, so armor does not help with resistance.

P. 204 INDIRECT COMBAT SPELLS: (1st Sentance) Indirect Combat spells are treated like a ranged combat attack; the caster makes a 1D20 roll + Spellcasting + Magic Test versus the targets Ranged Defense or Ranged Full Defense (+ Counterspelling if available) to determine if he/she hits the target.

(2nd paragraph) If the spell reaches the chosen target and hits, the target then subtracts his Body + half of his Impact Armor rating (rouded up) from the Spell DV. If this modified Spell DV does not exceed the modified Armor, then the spells Physical damage is converted to Stun. Note that nonliving objects...

P. 204 Damage Value: The base Damage Value for Combat Spells is based on Force, which is chosen by the magician at the time of casting. For every 3 points by which the Spellcasting test exceeds the Defense score of the target, the caster may increase the DV of the spell by 1. Each spell description notes...

P. 204 Example: (2nd paragraph) Sarai is a hermetic magician with Magic 5 and Spellcasting 4. She rolls 1d20+5+4 and gets a total of 21. Flamethrower is an Indirect Combat spell, so the drones Defense is 10 + its Response score of 1 for a total of 11 Defense. Sarai rolled 10 higher than the drones Defense, so the DV of the spell can be increased from 5 to 8 (rolled 10 higher than Defense. 10 divided by 3 = +3 DV).

(3rd paragraph) The drone has Body 3 and Armor 2, so it subtracts 4 (Body 3 + half of Armor 2) from the spell DV of 8 for a modified Spell DV of 4. The drone takes 4 boxes of damage. Then the spells secondary effects kick in as explosive rounds in it's weapon begin to explode.

(4th paragraph) Now Sarai has to resist the Drain. The Flamethrower's Drain Value is (Force x2 + 6 + base 10) for a total of DC26 for the Drain Resistance Test. She rolls 1d20 + 4 (Willpower) + 3 (Logic) for a total roll of 18. Subtracting that from the Drain Value DC of 26 leaves 8. 8 divided by 3 equals 2 and 2/3 which is rounded down to a total Drain of 2. Sarai suffers 2 boxes of Stun damage (since she wasn't overcasting, damage is Stun and not Physical). She shakes off the headache and turns her attention back to escaping.

P. 204 Spell Drain Value DCs (DV): To convert the original DV's to the new DV DC's, use Force times 2 instead of Force divided by 2, and double the normal modifier (positive or negative), then add a base 10 to get the DC. For example, the DV formula for Death Touch changes from [(Force divided by 2) - 2] to [(Force x2) -4 +10] for a total DC of 6 plus the doubled Force rating.

P. 204 Combat Spell Drain Value DC's:
-Acid Stream [(Force x2) + 6 + base 10]
--Toxic Wave [(Force x2) + 10 + base 10]
-Punch [(Force x2) - 4 + base 10]
--Clout [(Force x2) + base 10]
---Blast [(Force x2) + 4 + base 10]
-Death Touch [(Force x2) - 4 + base 10]
--Mana Bolt [(Force x2) + base 10]
---Manaball [(Force x2) + 4 + base 10]
-Flamethrower [(Force x2) + 6 + base 10]
--Fireball [(Force x2) + 10 + base 10]
-Lightning Bolt [(Force x2) + 6 + base 10]
--Ball Lightning [(Force x2) + 10 + base 10]
-Shatter [(Force x2) - 1 + base 10]
--Powerbolt [(Force x2) + 2 + base 10]
---Powerball [(Force x2) + 6 + base 10]
-Knockout [(Force x2) - 6 + base 10]
--Stunbolt [(Force x2) - 2 + base 10]
---Stunball [(Force x2) + 2 + base 10]

P. 205 Detection Spells: (2nd paragraph, 2nd sentance) Active Detection spells are treated as an Opposed Test, pitting the caster's Spellcasting  + Magic against the target's Willpower + base 10 (+ Counterspelling, if available). For every 3 that the caster beats the target's Defense by, it is counted as 1 net hit on the Detection Spell Results table on P. 206. Against objects, handle the spell as a Success Test with a threshold based on the Object Resistance (p. 183). The Detection Spell Results table provides guidelines for how throuroughly the sense works, based on how much the total roll was higher than the DC.

P. 206 Detection Spell Results:

Amount by which the Detection spell test ----- Results:
1-3   -----   Only general knowledge, no details.
4-6   -----   Major details only, no minor details.
7-9   -----   Major and minor details, with some minor details obscured or missing.
10-12   -----   Completely detailed information.

P. 206 Detection Spell Drain Value DC's:
-Analyze Device [(Force x2) + base 10]
-Analyze Truth [(Force x2) + base 10]
-Clairaudience [(Force x2) - 2 + base 10]
-Clairvoyance [(Force x2) - 2 + base 10]
-Combat Sense [(Force x2) + 4 + base 10]
-Detect Enemies [(Force x2) + 2 + base 10]
--Detect Enemies, Extended [(Force x2) + 6 + base 10]
-Detect Individual [(Force x2) - 2 + base 10]
-Detect Life [(Force x2) + base 10]
--Detect Life, Extended [(Force x2) + 4 + base 10]
-Detect [Life Form] [(Force x2) - 2 + base 10]
--Detect [Life Form], Extended [(Force x2) + 2 + base 10]
-Detect Magic [(Force x2) + base 10]
--Detect Magic, Extended [(Force x2) +4 + base 10]
-Detect [Object] [(Force x2) - 2 + base 10]
-Mindlink [(Force x2) + 2 + base 10]
-Mind Probe [(Force x2) + 4 + base 10]

P. 207 Health Spells (2nd paragraph, 3rd sentance): Health Spells are handled as Success Tests (see P. 62), with specified bonuses being provided based on how much the roll beats the listed DC by.

P. 207 Negative Health Spells: Spells that negatively affect a character require a Spellcasting + Magic test versus the target's appropriate Defense (+ Counterspelling, if available).

P. 207 Health Spell Drain Value DC's:
-Antidote [(Toxin DV) - 4 + base 10]
The poisoned character receives a +1 on their Toxin Resistance check for every 3 by which the DC is exceeded.

-Cure Disease [(Disease DV) - 4 + base 10]
The poisoned character receives a +1 on their Disease Resistance check for every 3 by which the DC is exceeded.

-Decrease [Attribute] (Negative) [(Force x2) + 2 + base 10]
(2nd paragraph): The target resists the spell using 1d20 + the attribute modifier which is being attacked. The attribute gets reduced by the number of net hits (every 3 by which the attackers roll beats the defenders roll reduces the attribute by 1). 

-Detox [(Toxin DV) - 8 + base 10]

-Heal [(Damage Value) - 4 + base 10]
It heals one box of Physical damage for every 3 by which the roll beats the DC. (WHAT IS THE DC??? DC16???)
« Last Edit: <06-01-14/0835:05> by Phoenix8008 »

cr4kp0t

• Omae
  • The 'Doc' will see you now!
« Reply #3 on: <05-24-14/0431:36> »
This is some incredible work you have put together here and I applaud your efforts... so far.

I just have a few thoughts...

1. Glitches:
Having glitches only happen on a natural 1 on the D20 is a significant lower probability than the current method for almost every roll and unless I missed it in your 'errata' critical glitches have been removed entirely?

2.1 The TANK: - Armor
with your method of resolving armor in combat; armor has now got increasingly more value as it is effectively three times more useful than before in reducing damage, and making the tank near impossible to defeat. There are more than a few builds out there with 20+ armor and that is not even trying to munchkin that hard, and even with the heavy weapons this armor is going to resist it easily.

3. Burst fire?
How does a narrow burst work with the new armor system?

2.2 The TANK: - Body
Without the damage resistance the body seems to have a much more limited and status function. was this intented?

Overall I agree it does greatly simplify combat but it also  makes this TOO easy in my opinion. one of the things I like about the opposed test was that anyone could get a lucky shot off and everyone had their bad days.
PbP Legend:
Narrative | Thought | Speech | Matrix | Astral

Phoenix8008

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <05-25-14/0755:37> »
This is some incredible work you have put together here and I applaud your efforts... so far.

I just have a few thoughts...

1. Glitches:
Having glitches only happen on a natural 1 on the D20 is a significant lower probability than the current method for almost every roll and unless I missed it in your 'errata' critical glitches have been removed entirely?

2.1 The TANK: - Armor
with your method of resolving armor in combat; armor has now got increasingly more value as it is effectively three times more useful than before in reducing damage, and making the tank near impossible to defeat. There are more than a few builds out there with 20+ armor and that is not even trying to munchkin that hard, and even with the heavy weapons this armor is going to resist it easily.

3. Burst fire?
How does a narrow burst work with the new armor system?

2.2 The TANK: - Body
Without the damage resistance the body seems to have a much more limited and status function. was this intented?

Overall I agree it does greatly simplify combat but it also  makes this TOO easy in my opinion. one of the things I like about the opposed test was that anyone could get a lucky shot off and everyone had their bad days.

1. Glitches - Yes, I had set glitches to only be on a 1. This could easily be modified to be on 1-3 or something like that though. The reason I had gotten rid of critical glitches was because it was impossible to roll a 1 (causing a normal glitch) and still get 'hits' (rolling at least 3 higher than the target DC). Maybe it could be solved like this though. Say critical glitches happen on the roll of a natural 1, and normal glitches happen on a natural die roll of 2-4? PC's could spend Edge as normal to downgrade or negate as usual. How does that sound?

2.1 The Tank - How is Armor 3 times more useful than before? I thought it came out about the same? I would have to playtest it further and see. When you say armor 20+, you mean the actual armor rating for the character? If you can provide link or example to something showing how they do this I'd love to see it. Not doubting you at all, I know how things can get munchkined.

3. Burst fire - Narrow burst works the same. Increase the DV of the attack by +2. If the weapon is normally DV5, then make it DV 7 before any modifiers.

2.2 The Tank: Body - Hmmmm... So in regular rules, they would roll Body + modified armor value. I may have missed that. If we added the Body value to the modified armor value before subtracting it from the modified damage value in Step 5, would that fix what you're worried about?

Thanks for the questions. I think you've already improved the system if these changes are implemented. What do you think?

Phoenix8008

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <06-01-14/0829:16> »
I had someone else on reddit point out that they've seen a build for an armored up Troll (40 soak dice) would be untouchable with the system as I have it. Because even with 40 dice, he still has a chance of rolling very low hits and letting the attacker overcome his armor still. Where my system just subtracts the modified armor value from the modified damage value.

So what if I added a rule that if the attacker rolls a natural 20, it is an automatic hit AND there is a negative armor modifier for that hit, like negative 10 or 20 perhaps? That would return it to having a small chance to still get a lucky shot and damage even an uber-armored troll! With a troll armored up to 40, even if he got a -20 on his armor value, you'd still have to be hitting him with some massively damaging weaponry to get through his armor, but it would at least be possible on a lucky shot.

How's that for a fix?