NEWS

Could Kinesics be used to fake a tell rather than hide it?

• 27 Replies

Senko

• Ace Runner
« on: <01-16-17/1211:03> »
The adept power Kinesics grants you full control over your body and its reactions blood pressure, heart rate, sweat, nonverbal cues and the like. So I'm wondering could you use it to fake a tell rather than hide one. That is in a high stakes poker game when you have a straight royal flush (or whatever the highest hand is) you get shifty eyes or a tic you know you do when nervous normally, or if you wanted to make out you were less fit than you are you start sweating during exercising and raise your heart rate?

fseperent

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <01-16-17/1237:06> »
That's an interesting question.
Try this idea: Kinesics adds to the con or acting dice pool to fake a tell.
« Last Edit: <01-16-17/1243:53> by fseperent »

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #2 on: <01-16-17/1618:07> »
That's an interesting question.
Try this idea: Kinesics adds to the con or acting dice pool to fake a tell.

Agreed. It could add some bonus dice to the con  roll...
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <01-17-17/0316:09> »
Hmmm so you agree it could work the question then becomes how to implement it in a balanced way. I'll need to give this some thought (con roll you say . . .), thanks for the answers.

ZeldaBravo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <01-17-17/0608:47> »
Hmmm so you agree it could work the question then becomes how to implement it in a balanced way.

(Opposition's Judge Intentions roll minus your Kinesics Rating) vs. your Con roll maybe?
*I have problems with clarifying my point in English, so sometimes I might sound stupid or rude.*

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <01-17-17/0632:08> »
Hmmm so you agree it could work the question then becomes how to implement it in a balanced way.

(Opposition's Judge Intentions roll minus your Kinesics Rating) vs. your Con roll maybe?

That works.

Or, Con + Kinesics + CHA Vs Judge Intentions.

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <01-17-17/0742:57> »
The power does say that it adds to rolls to resist tests to read your emotions, and one of the examples is "truthfulness tests"

So yeah, the most straightforward rule is to just have it add to the adept's dice pool...
« Last Edit: <01-17-17/0750:55> by Kiirnodel »

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #7 on: <01-17-17/1215:09> »
I'd make another .25 or .5 point Power along the lines of 'Manipulative Kinesics' to allow you to use your Kinesics dice on rolls to trick people with Con.  As-is, Kinesics is solely defensive; allowing it to become 'offensive' is giving it a lot more power, and that should cost some Power Points. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <01-17-17/1324:14> »
Kinesics
Cost: 0.25 PP per level
Kinesics grants you complete control over your body’s
nonverbal and subconscious communication and social
cues, even when you’re in stressful social situations. It includes
facial expressions, body movements, eye movements,
fluctuations in heart rate and blood pressure,
and even control over sweat glands, making it difficult
to gauge your emotional state and truthfulness. Add +1
to resist Social Tests and tests to read your emotions like
Judge Intentions, assensing, or truthfulness tests

I don't know if a whole new power is required... but if you want to invent a new adept power for a single skill (Con), go for it.

I just look at it as expending the power to fit another use of Con and Kinesics beyond a simple "Can't let them know I am panicking" use...

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #9 on: <01-18-17/0213:18> »
My point is once you're trying to trick people into thinking something else, you've gone past 'resisting Social tests and tests to read your emotions, etc. etc.'  That's turning it into an 'offensive' power when you're deliberating manipulating others.  By altering the paradigm of Kinesics that way, you're making it more powerful.  A surcharge to unlock such capabilities seems fine to me, if I don't just point folks over to the other social Adept powers. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <01-18-17/0807:33> »
fair point.

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <01-18-17/1156:53> »
I'm not so sure it is a different usage though, take that last line "Add +1 to resist social tests AND tests to read your emotions like judge intentions, assensing or TRUTHFULLNESS tests." Is there really a large difference between having someone trying to determine your being truthful when you maintain a poker face to keep them from realizing you have a good hand and when you start sweating to do the same thing. Whether your not giving things away or are deliberately trying to seem like your worried its still a truthfullness test that they're trying to figure you out?

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #12 on: <01-18-17/1221:17> »
Yeah, you have a +1 to resist it, not to manipulate them.  It's that simple.  You're trying to take a power that is balanced for defensive purposes and make it offensive, which is more expensive than Kinesics.  Either cough up the Power Points to get an 'upgrade' and enhance the options or just buy a relevant power like Cool Resolve (a +1 to all opposed Social tests, Street Grimoire).

Tym Jalynsfein

• Chummer
« Reply #13 on: <01-18-17/1348:49> »
I see no issue with the uses presented above... We have already done this in our games over the years. It is not overpowering...
« Last Edit: <01-19-17/1419:47> by Tym Jalynsfein »
The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary. - James. D. Nicoll

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <01-19-17/0145:13> »
I guess its a matter of how you see it I personally can't see the difference between . . .

Lying to X by using kinesics to keep from sweating or having your heart rate raise.

Lying to X by sweating on particular questions and having your heart rate raise at the right points.

You have full control over your body and then there were the parts in the sentence I misboldened in my rush. It says to resist X AND Y OR (what I meant to bold not truthfullness) that to me say's its a different use) for Y. With X being the resist and taks and Y being the or function. Still I'll just file it under one of those thing where different people have different ideas.