NEWS

Is Situational Noise applied to both side?

• 6 Replies

Youneko

• Newb
« on: <02-15-18/2336:34> »
Will situational noise penalty apply only to the one in this specific situation or to both the device and who is about to hack?
For example, If I'm hacking a device in an area with situational noise of 3 and with distance of 1km (that is to say, with distance noise of 1), how many penalty should I take exactly?
If it is on both side, should I add the situational noise  of the other side to mine, or just take the higher one?

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #1 on: <02-15-18/2339:51> »
To figure out how noise is affecting you, start with the noise level from real-world distance to your target and add the noise level from any other applicable situations, then subtract any noise reduction you are using.

If the area noise is around you, then you take the penalty.  If it's around them, you don't.  Should they take any matrix actions, they'll have a penalty based on their surroundings.  Keep in mind that noise does not penalize defense or resistance tests.

For example:

You're in the Ork Underground (let's say a Noise rating of 3) trying to steal a file from a cyberdeck a couple hundred meters away (1 Noise).  The decker you're stealing from is in a building with R2 Wireless Negating wallpaper.  You take the Noise from distance (1) and add the Noise from your surroundings (3) for a total of 4.  If the decker realized you were hacking them and tried to data spike you, they would do the same in reverse, for a total of 3 Noise on their end.

It may seem a bit confusing, but I'm fairly certain that's how it works.  If someone else wants to chime in to say why I'm wrong, go for it.  I'll admit it doesn't make a load of sense that the wallpaper would only stop things going out and not coming in...  That might be enough proof to say I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: <02-15-18/2345:48> by firebug »
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

marfish

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <02-15-18/2350:43> »
To figure out how noise is affecting you, start with the noise level from real-world distance to your target and add the noise level from any other applicable situations, then subtract any noise reduction you are using.

If the area noise is around you, then you take the penalty.  If it's around them, you don't.  Should they take any matrix actions, they'll have a penalty based on their surroundings.  Keep in mind that noise does not penalize defense or resistance tests.

For example:

You're in the Ork Underground (let's say a Noise rating of 3) trying to steal a file from a cyberdeck a couple hundred meters away (1 Noise).  The decker you're stealing from is in a building with R2 Wireless Negating wallpaper.  You take the Noise from distance (1) and add the Noise from your surroundings (3) for a total of 4.  If the decker realized you were hacking them and tried to data spike you, they would do the same in reverse, for a total of 3 Noise on their end.

It may seem a bit confusing, but I'm fairly certain that's how it works.  If someone else wants to chime in to say why I'm wrong, go for it.  I'll admit it doesn't make a load of sense that the wallpaper would only stop things going out and not coming in...  That might be enough proof to say I'm wrong.

How about the ork underground hacket are now surrounded by water? Still the same?

Edit: One more, how about two of them are separated by a body of water that produce -3 noise? Would both of them take the penalty? And what happen if one is right next to the water body and the other is about 100m away? Would it make a different?
« Last Edit: <02-15-18/2359:24> by marfish »

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <02-16-18/0019:41> »
Try to think about it like this.

When you attempt a matrix action, you are subjected to the Noise in your current physical area and the Noise caused by your physical distance from the target.  What the area is like around your target only matters if it would completely block their ability to use the matrix (Noise higher than their Device Rating).
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

marfish

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <02-16-18/0101:04> »
Try to think about it like this.

When you attempt a matrix action, you are subjected to the Noise in your current physical area and the Noise caused by your physical distance from the target.  What the area is like around your target only matters if it would completely block their ability to use the matrix (Noise higher than their Device Rating).

But...Why would I use to the -2 noise wall paper, if it give me a penalty instead of other way around?

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <02-16-18/0126:28> »
That's a fair point, but if Noise applied the penalty your target has and the penalty you have, that'd mean a lot of the time you'd be eating double the Noise.  Two people standing shoulder-to-shoulder in an area with 3 Noise would be each dealing with 6 Noise if they were taking actions against eachother, and that doesn't sound right either.  Having 5 Noise Reduction out of chargen would stop being overkill and start being just what's needed.

Plus, even if the wallpaper did penalize people outside the building, it would still penalize people inside.  That part is for sure.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <02-16-18/0135:46> »
Re: What's the Purpose of Noise Wallpaper

Even if it does not affect hacking from outside the building going in, it doesn't necessarily affect the people who are supposed to be doing computer stuff in the facility (e.g. the employees).  Either they slave their persona/commlink to the host (assuming that's possible) or they use hardwired computers at their workstations and ignore the noise either way.

In either case Noise-inflicting wallpaper would still be affecting hackers that have physically penetrated the building.  Layered defenses.  Heck, put heavy noise shielding in the same sorts of ways you'd put up wards for astral security.  And then add more to cover the lobby, restrooms, seldom-used stairwells, and everywhere else security might suspect hackers may slump unconscious to go into VR.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.