NEWS

noise inside host?

• 22 Replies

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <02-14-18/0119:17> »
A security spider or security decker could be slaved to the WAN I suppose, as awkward as that may be mechanically...  That goes back to the awful "can I daisy chain commlinks" thing though.

Isn't the answer why you can't chain commlinks is becauses commlinks are persona icons and you can't slave personas to personas?  Stands to reason that personae could be "slaved" to a host. 
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #16 on: <02-14-18/0122:01> »
Realistically, that's probably not the actual rule as it'd stop PANs from being a thing 99% of the time and reduce a hacker's ability to help his team.  It's more something people (myself included, like two years ago) tried to argue because they were pissed off that TMs couldn't slave anything to them for no real reason, which is something I hope to change (if it isn't changed in Kill Code, which it probably won't be) if I get the chance.  I'm pretty sure the actual reason is because a device cannot be a master and a slave at the same time, but I'm not sure the book supports that anywhere.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

manchuwook

• Newb
  • DO EET!
« Reply #17 on: <02-14-18/0740:08> »
In the novels, they make a big deal about devices not being able to access the matrix at all in low rent areas (Chicago tunnels, the barrens, et al). However, when you are looking at ratings, Even a corporate drone can barely access it with half of the devices out there taking into consideration Noise, Spam, and Static.  Public grid, raining, steel building in City Downtown, during an advertising blitz? -6 hit penalty needing 18d6 (1:3) to get net 0. Subscribed grid?  -4, 12d6 in less than ideal situations.

How many dice would a normal schlub get?  Probably 4 (1 skill, 3 logic).  Everybody makes a big deal about the future being wireless, but regular usage might as well require you be plugged into something wired.

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <02-14-18/0834:23> »
In the novels, they make a big deal about devices not being able to access the matrix at all in low rent areas (Chicago tunnels, the barrens, et al). However, when you are looking at ratings, Even a corporate drone can barely access it with half of the devices out there taking into consideration Noise, Spam, and Static.  Public grid, raining, steel building in City Downtown, during an advertising blitz? -6 hit penalty needing 18d6 (1:3) to get net 0. Subscribed grid?  -4, 12d6 in less than ideal situations.

How many dice would a normal schlub get?  Probably 4 (1 skill, 3 logic).  Everybody makes a big deal about the future being wireless, but regular usage might as well require you be plugged into something wired.

Isn't noise a dice pool penalty not a hit penalty? Beyond that, standard every day use doesn't require a roll any more than walking  to your car requires an athletics roll.

&#24525;

« Reply #19 on: <02-14-18/1105:49> »
Unless I can find something that says "anything in a host" then other Persona in the host are definitely not part of the WAN (you aren't, after all).  The host (and thus, the IC and files that are part of the host) are obviously part of the WAN, but if you want to argue the part that says "directly connected to all devices in the WAN" means it doesn't apply to things that are not a device, like files and IC, there's room to.
Holistically, the wordage needs some clean up. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #20 on: <02-14-18/1207:22> »
I think the wording is fairly clear. Are you wirelessly connecting to the host? If yes area noise-less your tech to clear noise applies to everything but defensive and resistance tests (Page 231). But it's in no way hard to plug a cable in and not hack wirelessly, I don't really see the issue. This is more for making it harder to brick cybereyes in the mall then to stop you from doing the job.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

manchuwook

• Newb
  • DO EET!
« Reply #21 on: <02-14-18/1920:15> »

Isn't noise a dice pool penalty not a hit penalty? Beyond that, standard every day use doesn't require a roll any more than walking to your car requires an athletics roll.

Sure - but static, noise, and spam unnecessarily add icy pavement, frozen-over doors, and a fritzy security system.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #22 on: <02-14-18/1958:53> »
He's saying the penalty Noise causes doesn't remove hits--  It's not "now you need to roll 6 more successes".  It's "you roll 6 less dice".  You've accidentally made penalties about three times as harsh as they are supposed to be.

Spam is a terrible mechanic, by the way.  It's something that should really be ignored; most other sources of noise make sense.  Spam makes the entire matrix collapse in on itself.  Without its paradoxical impact, you'll find it's a lot more reasonable.
« Last Edit: <02-15-18/0127:15> by firebug »
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.