NEWS

noise inside host?

• 22 Replies

marfish

• Newb
« on: <02-14-18/0016:27> »
If I suffer (let's say) 3 point of noise from spam/static zones, would I still carry the noise when I am inside a host and try to hack a file?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <02-14-18/0018:57> »
If you're physically in a location that suffers from Noise (due to distance between you and the host, or you're in a shopping mall with lots of spam, etc) yes you suffer the Noise even after you successfully enter the host.

Hence the importance of noise reduction via toys and tactics :)

Of significant note however is the things that are slaved to the host (devices "inside the host") don't suffer noise.  So if you're hacking a vending machine that may happen to be physically across the sprawl from its matrix host there's no noise for the vending machine.  Just for you because slaving your persona to a host is beyond what the rules cover/allow.
« Last Edit: <02-14-18/0021:56> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

SpellBinder

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <02-14-18/0024:55> »
Hence the importance of noise reduction via toys and tactics :)
Like good old fashioned fiber optic cabling for a direct connection.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #3 on: <02-14-18/0037:55> »
While inside a host, you can't suffer a noise penalty to anything slaved to the host.

You see, things slaved to a host are part of the host's Wide Area Network (WAN).  When you're inside of a host, you have a direct connection to everything in the WAN and so don't get any Noise penalties. It's logical to assume that if this is the case, you also wouldn't get noise penalties against the host itself (as you're inside it) and thus not to any files that are part of the host (in the way that attacking a file in a commlink is attacking that commlink) and use the host's stats.

However, that last part isn't clear.  I'll bring it up with the errata team.

There are also wide area networks, or WANs, with multiple devices slaved to a host. A host can have a practically unlimited number of devices slaved to it, but because of the direct connection hack you rarely see more devices than can be protected physically. If you are in a host that has a WAN, you are considered directly connected to all devices in the WAN.

Quote from: Cracking The Matrix Spine: Direct Connections, pg 232
When you use a direct connection, you ignore all noise modifiers and modifiers due to being on different grids or the public grid. It’s just you and the device.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <02-14-18/0040:58> »
While inside a host, you can't suffer a noise penalty to anything slaved to the host.

You see, things slaved to a host are part of the host's Wide Area Network (WAN).  When you're inside of a host, you have a direct connection to everything in the WAN and so don't get any Noise penalties. It's logical to assume that if this is the case, you also wouldn't get noise penalties against the host itself (as you're inside it) and thus not to any files that are part of the host (in the way that attacking a file in a commlink is attacking that commlink) and use the host's stats.

There are also wide area networks, or WANs, with multiple devices slaved to a host. A host can have a practically unlimited number of devices slaved to it, but because of the direct connection hack you rarely see more devices than can be protected physically. If you are in a host that has a WAN, you are considered directly connected to all devices in the WAN.

When you use a direct connection, you ignore all noise modifiers and modifiers due to being on different grids or the public grid. It’s just you and the device.

I guess I may be more confused than the OP then.

If a Decker is hanging out in a shopping mall suffering 6 noise (and for the purposes of the example he has no noise reduction at all) he obviously suffers at least -6 dice to perform brute force/hack on the fly actions prior to entering the host.  Are you saying that once he's successfully inside the host, the -6 dice suffered due to his physical location no longer applies?
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <02-14-18/0045:06> »
Yes, that is what I'm saying.  As well, it's impossible to have Noise due to distance when dealing with hosts, as they have no physical location by virtue of being strange and paranormal.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <02-14-18/0050:37> »
Yes, that is what I'm saying.  As well, it's impossible to have Noise due to distance when dealing with hosts, as they have no physical location by virtue of being strange and paranormal.

Soo... what happens then if someone physically nearby the decker in that shopping mall successfully jams the decker after the decker's persona has entered the host?

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #7 on: <02-14-18/0052:06> »
RAW hackers suffer no penalties due to noise once inside a host.
I house ruled pretty quickly that a hacker would always suffer noise from the environment he is hacking from though.
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #8 on: <02-14-18/0052:54> »
If the jammer beat the deck’s device rating the decker gets dumped, if not then nothing at all.

Soo... what happens then if someone physically nearby the decker in that shopping mall successfully jams the decker after the decker's persona has entered the host?
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <02-14-18/0059:37> »
What PiXeL01 said.  It couldn't apply a noise penalty to dice pools, but if the Noise was higher than the deck's DR, then it'd still lose connection and the decker would get dumpshock.

Although, I don't know where the RAW is that say Noise doesn't apply to anything in a host.  Only to things part of the WAN, but that doesn't necessarily include other Persona.  It also specifies "devices", and so may not apply to the host itself or files.  I think it does, but like I said...  This is a team question.
« Last Edit: <02-14-18/0107:23> by firebug »

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <02-14-18/0103:49> »
huh.  If noise can dump you, it's completely counterintuitive that it can't degrade you without dumping you.  I believe you, it just.  Wow.

marfish

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <02-14-18/0110:28> »
While inside a , you can't suffer a noise penalty to anything slaved to the .

You see, things slaved to a  are part of the 's Wide Area Network (WAN).  When you're inside of a , you have a direct connection to everything in the WAN and so don't get any Noise penalties. It's logical to assume that if this is the case, you also wouldn't get noise penalties against the  itself (as you're inside it) and thus not to any files that are part of the  (in the way that attacking a file in a commlink is attacking that commlink) and use the 's stats.

There are also wide area networks, or WANs, with multiple devices slaved to a . A  can have a practically unlimited number of devices slaved to it, but because of the direct connection hack you rarely see more devices than can be protected physically. If you are in a  that has a WAN, you are considered directly connected to all devices in the WAN.

good to hear that I somewhat contribute :) and how about other avatar (like IC)?

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <02-14-18/0113:03> »
Unless I can find something that says "anything in a host" then other Persona in the host are definitely not part of the WAN (you aren't, after all).  The host (and thus, the IC and files that are part of the host) are obviously part of the WAN, but if you want to argue the part that says "directly connected to all devices in the WAN" means it doesn't apply to things that are not a device, like files and IC, there's room to.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <02-14-18/0114:03> »
Unless I can find something that says "anything in a host" then other Persona in the host are definitely not part of the WAN (you aren't, after all).  The host (and thus, the IC and files that are part of the host) are obviously part of the WAN, but if you want to argue the part that says "directly connected to all devices in the WAN" means it doesn't apply to things that are not a device, like files and IC, there's room to.

The way I understood it was "everything that actually belongs there.  everything but you know, the decker".

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <02-14-18/0116:11> »
A security spider or security decker could be slaved to the WAN I suppose, as awkward as that may be mechanically...  That goes back to the awful "can I daisy chain commlinks" thing though.