NEWS

Where did Pixies spend the 5th age?

• 8 Replies

Quatar

• Omae
« on: <09-06-16/0846:11> »
So when the mana went away at the end of the 4th age, what did those creatures do that needed mana to survive, specifically the Pixies?

a) Leave this world for another metaplane? I don't think pixies are from a different plane, are they?
b) Find some mana hot-spots, and just tried to make it through the dry season. Even though their magic was very diminished, it was maybe still enough to repel the foolish humans wandering into their lairs? Which could make them the likely source of all the fairy folklore.
c) They're like insects, most/all of them died off at the end of the 4th age, but their eggs (or whatever) survived, and when the mana returned they hatched?
d) They hibernated somewhere?
e) They survived the 5th age as beautiful butterflies, and when the mana returned the awakened again?

Is there any answer about this somewhere?
Also would some or all pixies remember the 4th age, or were they all born after the Awakening?

dragrubis

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <09-06-16/1004:24> »
Centaurs came back from horses,  Pixies may came back from giant fireflies or what you want

lokii

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <09-06-16/1324:36> »
If I'm not mistaken Run Faster has Pixies as fae, which is a change from 4th Edition. As fae a metaplanar origin would be likely.

If Pixies are Windlings, they have a lifespan of 170 years according to Earthdawn sources. So Fourth Age Pixies/Windlings would be dead. Unless—putting the two conjectures together—surviving on a metaplane changes something about either the flow of time you experience or ageing itself.

Rosa

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <09-07-16/0505:03> »
Or they, you know have sex and have children and so perpetuate their species  :)

They have never said it, but there's hardly any doubt that SR Pixies = ED Windlings, there's just too many similarities. Where have they been during the 5th World? Yes it seems very likely that they have been on the metaplanes, but at the same time they are different from other  faeries in a way that is similar to Obsidimen. I dunno if you could call them Half-spirits collectively, but both species seems to spend low mana periods elsewhere and in high mana periods they incarnate for lack of a better term for a certain amount of time, not materialize, but incarnate, Pixies maybe even moreso than Obsidimen since Pixies/Windlings have sexes, families, children and all that. Also both races only seem to be able to "keep" their incarnation for a certain amount of time, after their "lifespan" Pixies fade and Obsidimen become one with the liferock Again.

lokii

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <09-07-16/0720:09> »
after their "lifespan" Pixies fade

There is a difference though, Windlings don't. But as I said I don't think the books before Run Faster ascribed this fae property to pixies.

Rosa

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <09-08-16/0330:04> »
after their "lifespan" Pixies fade

There is a difference though, Windlings don't. But as I said I don't think the books before Run Faster ascribed this fae property to pixies.

Perhaps the rise in mana levels tie their bodies more and more to our plane, but yes you're right there is that difference, however in ED materials it is speculated that the differences between the races ( metahuman ) increases with the mana leves, which of course Means that the racial makeup of one race is subject to the mana levels, so that could be true for the pixies as well.

lokii

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <02-13-18/0530:20> »
If I'm not mistaken Run Faster has Pixies as fae, which is a change from 4th Edition.

But as I said I don't think the books before Run Faster ascribed this fae property to pixies.

Just wanted to correct this. While not explicitly called fae, pixies have the vanishing power in Runner's Companion.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #7 on: <02-13-18/0955:23> »
Pixies may came back from giant fireflies or what you want

This is so my favorite Suggestion.  LOL.
I do think the fae meta plane is probably a slightly more logical explanation given that there was no shortage of BA pixie mages in SR.
But Giant Fireflies work too LOL.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #8 on: <02-13-18/0958:59> »
Mutations are a thing. If the Windlings spent the downtime physically in the metaplanes, living on metaplanar food and drink, then it would be damn strange if they didn't change in some way. Indeed, much of the 'fae' stuff can be explained by some of the 4th world people who knew how to open gateways into the metaplanes leading mana-dependent peoples there, and they've changed over time. And since mana spikes (and the occasional rift) are a thing, those can explain tales of someone finding a portal to Faerie, or getting spirited away, or any of those things, and would shape the view of the fae in the material plane, while those legends grew and changed over time.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters