NEWS

Shadowrun 4E and Earthdawn connections?

• 162 Replies

RelentlessImp

• Chummer
« Reply #150 on: <11-07-12/1505:05> »
Frosty.
Next time you're down on your knees, and you're expecting a slap, it might be me in that mask, and I just might have a bat.
Currently Looking for Work

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #151 on: <11-07-12/1514:42> »
Frosty and Ehran?

Hmm. Maybe I need to stop watching so much anime? Nah. C'mon, Japan, give me more horriblegreat ideas! ;)
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #152 on: <11-07-12/1749:04> »
IMO Frosty was born after Earthdawn era, during down-cycle

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #153 on: <11-07-12/1814:53> »
Frosty was born approx 2030. She was still pretty young in 2050
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #154 on: <11-07-12/1838:52> »
Brightlight.  We know that he's the supergeek, and though it is the age of the geek, he's a snotty, smug, oblivious-to-both-others-and-consequences prick of a geek.  He'd definitely have to pay... ;)
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #155 on: <11-08-12/0906:44> »
I'm wondering when we're going to see IE's buying out a certain piece of land in south Europe...
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #156 on: <11-08-12/1211:55> »
If you're talking about Wyrm Wood, then I believe someone said elsewhere on this forum that the reason they haven't done so already is that one of the translations of Cherynoble is "Worm Wood". You do the math.

My Characters

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #157 on: <11-08-12/1306:10> »
Homeland + Undervalued Real Estate - Oh God The Radiation Burns - My Mutant Children = Oh Hell No.

That math?
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #158 on: <11-08-12/1342:53> »
Yep, that about sums it up. Oh, and of course there's always the possibility that it might force a head to head with Alamais, since the elves trying to re-establish the Elven Court in his old home is probably the only thing that could get him to take a break from being a thorn in his brother's side.

My Characters

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #159 on: <11-09-12/0258:04> »
If you're talking about Wyrm Wood, then I believe someone said elsewhere on this forum that the reason they haven't done so already is that one of the translations of Cherynoble is "Worm Wood". You do the math.
Doesn't compute. Places with similar Names aren't the same when you apply Pattern magic. Especially since the real, corrupted Blood Wood pattern is still there, and most IE's (with the exception of Harlequinn, and maybe a few others) are bound to it by the Ritual of Thorns. Again - they're bound to Blood Wood not Wyrm Wood...
Same with Alamaise, his connection to the Wyrm Wood pattern is blocked by the fact that it's not being Named this way now. He was all for ReNaming it back then, over the elves charred bodies. I doubt that changed through the ages.
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #160 on: <11-09-12/0356:00> »
Names don't just come out of nowhere. And at some point the Ritual of Thorns clearly was undone, since none of the IEs have thorns growing out of their sides, and they aren't compelled to return to the wood after a year and a day. And, at best guess from what else we know of the region, Barsaive would have been in the general area of the Black Sea. The fact that sometimes there is a 'cultural memory' of things that we no longer understand, but realize were important, once. Just in Shadowrun/Earthdawn lore, you have plenty of examples of this, such as the fact that Dragons and metahumans appear much like people always thought they might, or ideas such as Atlantis sinking beneath the waves (those Orichalcum pillars supporting Thera gave out eventually), or even tales of spirits and dragons and the like that sounded like fairy tales. Even in real life, we have these kinds of cultural memories. The history of today becomes the legends of tomorrow and the myths of the day after. To give an example, take the Battle of Thermoplye. The story has grown in the telling, and certainly the battle was nothing like what you saw in 300, but elements remain true. In another two thousand years, who knows what we will remember of that battle?

My Characters

Malathis

• Chummer
« Reply #161 on: <11-09-12/1007:33> »
Names don't just come out of nowhere. And at some point the Ritual of Thorns clearly was undone, since none of the IEs have thorns growing out of their sides, and they aren't compelled to return to the wood after a year and a day.

I don't know much about the ritual of thorn, or Earthdawn lore, but I read theory somewhere that certain IE's don't have the thorns because the mana levels weren't high enough, that might have just been someones speculation in the forums here or in some fluff, I really can't remember. Though the surge quality of the bone spikes seems to lend some credit to the theory. As a bit of a devils advocate, do we know that the IE's in question aren't returning to the wood yearly?

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #162 on: <11-09-12/1010:01> »
Doesn't compute. Places with similar Names aren't the same when you apply Pattern magic. Especially since the real, corrupted Blood Wood pattern is still there, and most IE's (with the exception of Harlequinn, and maybe a few others) are bound to it by the Ritual of Thorns. Again - they're bound to Blood Wood not Wyrm Wood...
Same with Alamaise, his connection to the Wyrm Wood pattern is blocked by the fact that it's not being Named this way now. He was all for ReNaming it back then, over the elves charred bodies. I doubt that changed through the ages.

Actually...look for the reference on Wormwood forest - Red Forest. Things gets pretty close ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Forest