NEWS

Missing Bone Lacing Options?

• 7 Replies

GeLrIrToCrH

• Newb
« on: <01-25-17/2058:19> »
I've been searching my 5th edition books trying to find ceramic and kevlar bone lacing....did they not make it into 5th (from 4th)? What should I do if I am converting a character from 4th to 5th with ceramic bone lacing? Thanks in advance!

Quatar

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <01-25-17/2208:03> »
Well there's no Impact/Ballistic armor anymore it's just armor, and Ceramic/Kevlar were more specialized versions from what I see.

Ceramic seemed like a bit better version of Aluminium. But was also more expensive (both in nuyen and in Essence).
Kevlar was cheaper in nuyen but same essence as Aluminum as well.

So I'd probably convert both of them into that. Not perfect, but Titanium seems too high and Plastic is definitely worse.
Edit: Maybe see if your GM is willing to toss in a single level of free Alphaware Orthoskin (.2 essence, 7.2k nuyen) to make up for the higher armor ceramic had.
« Last Edit: <01-25-17/2222:20> by Quatar »

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <01-25-17/2330:46> »
I made up a quick chart that compares the 5 types of Bone Lacing in 4th edition. In 5th, the three primary types are pretty straight forward, effectively functioning at Rating 1-3 (Plastic 1, Aluminum 2, Titanium 3), and the Rating adds to Body, Armor, and Unarmed damage.

TypeEssenceBodyArmor(B/I)DamageAvailCost
Plastic0.5+1None+1P8F5,000
Kevlar1+11/0None10F10,000
Aluminum1+20/1+2P12F15,000
Ceramic1.2+20/2+2P12F22,500
Titanium1.5+31/1+3P16F40,000

Like Qatar mentioned, they removed the separation of armor, so the distinction is far smaller for the different types. This is probably why they didn't feel the need to update Kevlar and Ceramic. As far as converting a character from 4th to 5th, I would say you have two different routes available. Either you could try to convert the augmentation to the new rules, or simply "retcon" the character's lacing to fit in the new edition. This really depends on the game/GM.

Retcon, would mean that you would either "degrade" and now have Aluminum lacing, or with GM approval you could see about upgrading to Titanium. I would personally err on the side of down-grading to aluminum. The retcon part would mean that your current essence would of course change to match.

Conversion, would mean that you would work out with your GM an updated version of the Ceramic lacing. A possible suggestion would be to work Kevlar and Ceramic similar to how they worked in 4th, they each give 1 extra armor than the version of that costs less than them. So, something like:

TypeEssenceBodyArmorDamage
Plastic0.5+1+1+1P
Kevlar1+1+2None
Aluminum1+2+2+2P
Ceramic1.2+2+3+2P
Titanium1.5+3+3+3P

Adamo1618

« Reply #3 on: <01-26-17/0708:17> »
Kevlar desperately needs balance.

Quatar

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <01-26-17/0755:32> »
In 4e the advantage of Kevlar was it gave Ballistic armor (aka vs guns) which you couldn't get till Titanium normally. The price for it was the lower Body modifier and the missing damage compared to Aluminium.

In 5e that advantage is gone, since armor is armor now. Kiirnodel's version of Kevlar is just striclty worse than Aluminium, with the exception of nuyen.

Heck, even if you change it to Body 1, Armor 3 (to simulate the "better armor" portion of the original), it would still be worse. Damage resistance is a +4 on both, and Kevlar still has no damage.
Also armor can be reduced with AP, while Body can't. But let's be honest, whoever has bone lacing usually has so much armor elsewhere,that they're not likely reduced to 0 by AP anyway so that's just a theoretical disadvantage.
But that would probably justify the price difference (also remember, Aluminium is 18k in 5e, so 10k is almost half price).

Just my 2 cent.

Ceramic vs Titanium: -1 damage resist, -1 damage, for -0.3 essence and 8k less nuyen (Titanium is 30k in 5e)... that doesn't seem to weird.

GeLrIrToCrH

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <01-28-17/1033:16> »
Thanks guys! I've always preferred non-metallic bone lacing over metallic, so as to be less susceptible to electrical damage. I thought that would be a common concern, which is why I was surprised options were missing.
Thanks again for all the info, this is really helpful.

Xexanoth

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <01-28-17/1428:53> »
People are generally more concerned with bullets and sharp/blunt objects than eletricity, especially since electricity fucks you up with or without a bit of extra metal in your body. That's what insulation in your armor is for :)

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <01-31-17/1101:15> »
Thanks guys! I've always preferred non-metallic bone lacing over metallic, so as to be less susceptible to electrical damage. I thought that would be a common concern, which is why I was surprised options were missing.
Thanks again for all the info, this is really helpful.

Metal channels electricity better than flesh or bone, so, it takes *less* damage. Passing zaps through you is better than keeping them in.

As for the missing bone lacing types? Yeah, with the consolidation of armor, there wasn't much of a need, so I didn't add 'em into Chrome Flesh.