NEWS

Ritual Magic question

• 34 Replies

Shadowwalker

• Newb
« on: <09-28-10/1319:02> »
Greeting Chummers
while I am knowledgeable about using Ritual magic to track people I can not find out if you can use it to drop an Area effect Combat spell on a target and catch other in the effect. If so could someone please point me in the right direction in the source material thanks.
here is an example oh what I'm trying to do:
Gratz and his cultist have go their hands on a ritual sample of one of the runners that stole an artifact from them a while back and are look for pay back so they whip up a ritual fireball(or Mana Ball) spell hoping to catch the runners at a bad time to frag with their day is only the person that the ritual sample belongs to effected or is the whole group?

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #1 on: <09-28-10/1328:35> »
I think only the target would be.  I'm not even sure if indirect combat spells (e.g. fireball) can be used through ritual magic given the mechanics they use.

Qemuel

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <09-28-10/1338:53> »
On initial glance through the Ritual Spellcasting rules, I don't see anything that would prohibit casting an area spell.  It makes sense that you could do so.  

Quote p.184 SR4A (Ritual spellcasting)
"Ritual spellcasting works much like regular spellcasting, except that it is cast over a longer period of time and can affect targets outside the magician's visual range."

Quote p.185 SR4A (Casting a ritual spell)
"Ritual Spellcasting is carried out int he same manner as Spellcasting, except that the ritual requires twelve hours, minus the leader's Magic (min 1 hour).  Ritual Spellcasting can be either a Success Test or an Opposed Test, depending on the spell in question and where the target can resists it (see Spells, p. 87)."

Quote p.160 SM (Choose Range)
"Area Effect:  ... area spells affect all valid targets within an area of effect.  Area spells cannot affect individuals who cannot be seen, even if they are within the area designated for the effect."

Italics mine.  So as long as the targets can be seen by the spotter, it makes sense that the area effect would get everyone within the area.  However, using only a material link (as per rules from SM) to target someone does not appear (at first glance) to be able to affect anyone nearby. 
« Last Edit: <09-28-10/1354:34> by Qemuel »

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #3 on: <09-28-10/1359:54> »
I agree with Quemuel, I don't think you're restricted as to the type of spell you can send ritually.

You might also want to check out the Advanced Magic Rules (Street Magic, p. 29) for more information on using Material links, Sympathetic links and Symbolic links.

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #4 on: <09-28-10/1403:53> »
Shows what I know.  Of course, I don't use ritual magic, well ever, so there's that.   ;D

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #5 on: <09-28-10/1432:46> »
Shows what I know.  Of course, I don't use ritual magic, well ever, so there's that.   ;D
It is hard to just send a grenade through a ritual link, so you're forgiven. ;)

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #6 on: <09-28-10/1438:34> »
True.  Though I could always create a spell that combines fire and metal to make a grenade spell.   ;D

Qemuel

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <09-28-10/1503:12> »
Or combine Elemental Fire, Metal, AND Blast effects!

Fun times for all!
(well maybe not the target)   ;)

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #8 on: <09-28-10/1511:55> »
I like.  Though the drain would be a bitch.  Eh, what's a little blood leaking from the eyes when you can make magic grenades?

Magus

• Newb
  • Dumpshock Alum
« Reply #9 on: <09-28-10/1705:34> »
The only issue with a non direct combat spell was that a spell such as fireball will originate from the casters location fly through the air and hit the target. Now if there are any Wards, Mana Barries or anything else in the way it will have to go through them and possible fizzle out.

This was brought up in one of the old Dev chats from Peter Taylor, Adam Jury and others. Take a look over at the Dumpshock Archives and you can find all the old Dev chats from 05 and up.
Commanding Officer of the Floridian Ninja Surfing Drop Bear Pirates!!!

Shah Dude!!

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #10 on: <09-28-10/1712:39> »
That's what I was thinking.  And wouldn't you also need a clear, unobstructed line of sight or something since it says in 4EdA that interesting objects stop the spell (I think)?

Magus

• Newb
  • Dumpshock Alum
« Reply #11 on: <09-28-10/1721:24> »
Only if it a Non Direct spell and LOS is out of the issue due to Ritual Magic. Especially if you have the Symp Link meta magic. If you use a DC spell it appears directly on the target and only the immediate wards/mana barries help.

Shah Dude!!

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #12 on: <09-28-10/1726:44> »
I know, but my understanding of ID combats is that they create a more or less physical object that streaks from the caster to the target.  So if it works how you're saying then ritual magic instead materializes that object in/on/near the target.  Right?  Or maybe it shoots from the observer.

Magus

• Newb
  • Dumpshock Alum
« Reply #13 on: <09-28-10/1730:32> »
both actually monkey. ID shoots from the caster while DC pops right on the target

Shah Dude!!

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #14 on: <09-28-10/1733:07> »
K.  I probably would have had a clearer picture of it if I'd ever actually used ritual casting or had one of my books on hand.  Thanks for the info/clarification though.