NEWS

Smartlink Confusion!

• 14 Replies

CyberKumiko

• Newb
« on: <02-01-18/1932:28> »
I know this has probably been covered somewhere but a search has no revealed a solution.

So my questions are : a character has cybereyes which includes a smartlink option. Said character has a Ingram SMG for example

1.) when using this SMG he gets the accuracy +2 bump & can eject clips & change fire modes yes?

2. ) The above are gained just by the virtue he has the smartlink & Ingram.

3.) If he switches Wireless on, he also gets +2 attack pool ? & wind conditions are 1 less on the penalties.

4. ) How does having a DNI come into the smartgun equation. I know you get a DNI from say a datajack

5.) Unless i,m mistaken the wireless option is in addition to 1.) & 2.) ?

Arigato Chummers

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #1 on: <02-01-18/1947:01> »
1 - Yes, ejecting clips and changing fire modes become free actions so faster

2 - Yes, and that he is connected to the gun either via wireless or cord.

3 - Yes

5 - Naturally.

4 - I’m not too sure about what benefits DNI would offer except for getting option 1 while having turned wireless off or using a throwback.
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #2 on: <02-02-18/0044:36> »
A complete smartgun system really has three parts:
(1) A smartgun for the weapon, either internal or external.
(2) A smartlink for the user, either implanted or worn (required for accuracy modifiers).
(3) A direct neural interface between the weapon and the user, via datajack or trodes (required for mental commands).

The following reasoning goes a little beyond the basic description of a smartgun system (SR5 p.433), but bear with me a minute: A smartlink with no DNI is just a better laser sight; you get the accuracy bonus but can't send mental commands to the weapon. With a DNI but no smartlink, you could still command the weapon (Free Actions instead of Simple Actions), but wouldn't get the accuracy benefit. You need both the DNI and smartlink, plus a wireless Matrix connection, to gain the dice pool bonus ... +2 if you paid Essence (p.453) or +1 if you didn't (p.444). For a weak explanation of why the Matrix helps you shoot better, see "Wireless Functionality" (p.420) and "Wireless Bonuses" (p.421).

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #3 on: <02-02-18/0819:30> »
You can get the benefits of a smartlink fully without a DNI.  A smartgun and goggles/glasses/whatever with a smartlink are enough to have a fully functional system.  The books have explained previously that you can interact with the matrix without needing a DNI via AR gloves or just something that lets you see AR, through eyeball tracking or even voice commands.  As written you get the accuracy benefit, and are capable of using it wirelessly for the dice pool bonus.

The reason the section discusses needing to plug a smartgun into your smartlink (or use a DNI, still by wire) is because it has to describe using it without wireless first, then mention the wireless bonus.  If you don't mind having it on wireless all the time, all you need is a smartgun and a smartlink and you are able to fully benefit from everything the technology offers over a normal firearm.

The benefits of using DNI are that DNI has its own benefits, making some actions faster while also having the innate quality of "DNI + commlink with sim module = experience AR with all senses".  In your street samurai's case, the benefit of using the smartgun system through DNI is that he can still use it while keeping the wireless of his cybereyes turned off--  Which would mean he can't see AR anymore through them alone, but it also means a decker couldn't just brick them and blind him.  The smartgun transmits information to his datajack, which transmits it to his eyes without needing to be connected to the matrix.
« Last Edit: <02-02-18/0823:59> by firebug »
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

HP15BS

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <02-03-18/1134:14> »
the real question is:

How do you benefit from smartlink  while jumped in?  Is the implanted smartlink necessary, or does being connected to all of the drone's systems mean can you benefit from all the same gear the drone uses to read / utilize that data?
To Deckers the Foundation really is a crazy place from Alice in Wonderland. How does that stuff just happen? How do they work when everything about them defies logic?
Then a Techno comes, high 5's Caterpillar, takes a swig of Mad Hatter's tea, & wanders away chatting up White Rabbit.
- Marcus Gideon

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #5 on: <02-03-18/2047:46> »

So my questions are : a character has cybereyes which includes a smartlink option. Said character has a Ingram SMG for example
1.) when using this SMG he gets the accuracy +2 bump & can eject clips & change fire modes yes?

2. ) The above are gained just by the virtue he has the smartlink & Ingram.

3.) If he switches Wireless on, he also gets +2 attack pool ? & wind conditions are 1 less on the penalties.

4. ) How does having a DNI come into the smartgun equation. I know you get a DNI from say a datajack

5.) Unless i,m mistaken the wireless option is in addition to 1.) & 2.) ?

Arigato Chummers

Ok So if you have a smartlink system in your weapon and you have some way have ether by implant for greatest effect or via goggles/glasses You get the 2 increase to accuracy. You know the amount of Ammo, heat build up in gun. Now if you have the gun wirelessly active you will gain a bonus to ranged attacks with the weapon +1 for goggles/glasses. Alternatively if the implanted and are wirelessly active you gain +2 bonus to the attack roll, and can switch fire modes, or eject a clip as free actions.

These rules for this are found of 433 of the core rules, and are reference from 444 (Visual enhancments), and then again in cyber eyes.

1. so long as the system is active he gets the +2 to accuracy, ejecting and adjusting fire modes I believe are simple actions. .

2. Specifically b/c of the smartlink implant plus the smartlink modification in the gun (Ingrum base price and stats include it)

3. Without it being wirelessly active and having the implant+Smart gun, you could not eject a clip as a free action or change fire modes as free actions, or get the +2 to the attack roll.

4. OK DNI get a little tricky, Direct nerual interface is typically a matrix function. The idea I think you mean is having wired connection instead of a wireless connection. This get a little hinky as there some cybermods that discuss DNI with contact plates, and i believe on those discusses connecting directly to your gun, terms wise DNI means matrix rigger style jumping in IE going the Matrix initiative track and playing under that world concept. The easier way to say it is wired connection in place of a wireless connection.

5. Without being wirelessly active you get the +2 accuracy, range finding, ammo count and stess/heat info. But not free action fire mode changes, clip ejection, or bonus to the attack roll.

Does that make sense? The wording on some of that stuff is confusing and to me the 433 wireless section clarifies it best.
« Last Edit: <02-03-18/2051:24> by Marcus »
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Quatar

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <02-04-18/1009:36> »
the real question is:

How do you benefit from smartlink  while jumped in?  Is the implanted smartlink necessary, or does being connected to all of the drone's systems mean can you benefit from all the same gear the drone uses to read / utilize that data?
I would rule that you could benefit from an implanted Smartlink or the Smartsoft running on your RCC/Drone. I think the rules are a bit vague on that topic though, so talk with your GM.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <02-04-18/1112:06> »
the real question is:

You drone's camera (part of its sensor array, which you can also customize) must have the Smartlink enhancement, and the gun mounted must have the Smartgun System.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <02-04-18/1116:09> »
Yes as the the other question it worked back in 3rd edition i don't see why jumping in would prevent it working from now.

Thinking
com
speaking

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <02-04-18/1158:22> »
Yes as the the other question it worked back in 3rd edition i don't see why jumping in would prevent it working from now.

For what it's worth, I'd see it the same way.  There'd have to be a good reason for it not to work rather than a good reason needing to exist to allow it to work.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #10 on: <02-04-18/1628:44> »
There’s nothing in the rules that prevents a smart link from working while jumped in. It’s the ultimate DNI anyway becoming the machine. As for drones being able to benefit from the system too I cannot recall due to being away from the system for so long but it does set off a small bell whispering yes they can.
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <02-04-18/1728:11> »
Drones need a special autosoft (Rigger 5.0, pg 127) and don't need the smartlink vision enhancement on the camera (the autosoft fills that role for them).

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <02-05-18/0919:37> »
Drones need a special autosoft (Rigger 5.0, pg 127) and don't need the smartlink vision enhancement on the camera (the autosoft fills that role for them).

Are we talking about two different things here?
If your character is jumped in then as I understand it, it should work, as discussed above.

If your talking about drones in autonomous mode, then the drones does what pilot software says it does.  If its that case I'm not overly worried. But I want to be clear about which case we are discussing.
Thinking
com
speaking

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <02-05-18/1118:03> »
I'm saying that for a drone running on its own pilot software to be able to benefit from a smartgun, it must also be running the aforementioned autosoft.  If you want to benefit from it while jumped in, all you need is the smartgun and the smartlink on the drone's camera.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <02-05-18/1504:52> »
I'm saying that for a drone running on its own pilot software to be able to benefit from a smartgun, it must also be running the aforementioned autosoft.  If you want to benefit from it while jumped in, all you need is the smartgun and the smartlink on the drone's camera.

Cool. That's what i figured, but wanted to be sure I was on the same page.
Thinking
com
speaking