NEWS

Inhabitation - do they keep their spirit powers?

• 7 Replies

brasso

• Omae
« on: <01-29-18/1954:49> »
There are 3 forms: true, hybrid and flesh. In all cases do they keep their spirit powers?

In flesh and hybrid, do they use the vessel's mental stats, or the spirit's?

"The hybrid form’s physical attributes are enhanced by the spirit’s Force." - is this a straight addition on top? Eg. Str 3 + Force 6 = Str 9??

Thanks in advance :)
The system we learn says we're equal under law
But the streets are reality, the weak and poor will fall

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1 on: <01-29-18/2320:05> »
From Street Grimorie  page 196
Type: P Action: Auto
Range: Self Duration: Special
Most spirits can only affect the physical world by
materializing or possessing a vessel. A spirit with Inhabitation
exists on the physical plane continuously
after it has merged with a prepared vessel. The spirit
cannot be separated with Banishing, and the spirit cannot
voluntarily leave the vessel. An inhabiting spirit is
only disrupted when its vessel is either destroyed or
killed from Physical damage overflow (p. 209, SR5). If
the inhabited vessel is living, the spirit gains complete
control of the body and access to some or all of the
vessel’s memories. During merging, the vessel’s original
spirit is consumed (if present) and that character
is lost (though gamemasters may decide otherwise, if
appropriate to their stories).

there is MUCH more, but, that is all I am quoting to keep the writers and their pitchforks from by doorstep. (I just got it fixed from the last time!)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

brasso

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <01-30-18/0047:30> »
Thanks Reaver. Sorry if I'm being dense, but I'd already read the section and these are my questions after reading it

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <01-30-18/0124:20> »
Yea. Sorry Brasso, Just finished my 20 day shift and am drinking, so my reading ability is impaired  :-[

Short answer: Yes they retain their powers, They use the Spirits stats for mental attributes. HOWEVER they may  have some memories of their host floating around in the their soup of a brain, which means they may remember people, places, dates, facts and other things... which can get really creepy when that true form spirit that took over your best childhood buddy starts reminding you of all the good times you had together.
(yet another reason to burn the things to ash!)

As to the augmentation of physical stats, that is hotly debated and I don't know if there is an errata about it. The 2 lines of thought are:

The limit of +4 (max) augmentation still applies.
The limit of +4 (max) does NOT apply as it states that the force is added, and the Force could be higher then 4.

I would only say "Be very careful!". Inhabitation is usually just an Insect spirit power so it is not something your players should be doing, and as a GM if you add the full force to the stats - which may be technically valid- could make the critter unreasonably powerful for your team... I advise caution. (But then again, I don't know your players and they may be able to handle it as well)
« Last Edit: <01-30-18/0222:41> by Reaver »

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

brasso

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <01-30-18/0350:41> »
Thanks again Reaver :)

20 hours, that's some shift!

Think I'll go with the max +4 else, yeah, my runners will get squashed

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #5 on: <01-30-18/0613:55> »
I'm reasonably convinced at this point that +4 holds is intended to hold in 5th, and iirc the wording on it is 1/2 force ie, it takes a force 8 spirits to get full effect. (Though if a higher authorities want to step in and clarify this I'm all ears!) I do think this is questionable given how radical a change it is over past edition, and probably something many (myself included) will house rule should it ever really come up.

I recall getting way off script in con run  back in 4th and ending up tangling with 6 trolls berserk possessed by force 6 spirits which was a pretty hilarious fight. (Sorry Mr.Mac!!)

*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

SpellBinder

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <01-30-18/1143:17> »
Possession is not Inhabitation now.  The possessed don't get Immunity To Normal Weapons in SR5, while the inhabited still do.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <01-30-18/1218:07> »
@Marcus,

Nope, It's straight "add force to attributes" for inhabitation and is found on page 196 of the Street Grimoire. Possession gains 1/2 force. But like I said I am unsure if this has been errata'd.

@Brasso,

My shifts are 20 days, 12 hours a day. Meaning I work 240 hours before I get a day off. (well, 10 days off). Its pretty standard in the industrial industry. And you get paid WELL for the hassle. (standard time for the first 8, 1.5 times for the next 2, and double time for the last 2. triple time on Sat/Sun.)

I work 6 to 8 months of the year, and take the rest off, and still clear 6 figures.