NEWS

Fangs as a weapon foci

• 24 Replies

capt10kirk

• Newb
« on: <01-01-18/1733:25> »
     So I've got a question since one of my friends is making a Vampire Adept and is wanting to have a weapon foci be her fangs.  It was my understanding that a weapon foci to be a physical object, normally a real weapon like a sword club or something along those lines, though if the GM allowed it perhaps a ring for unarmed combat.  So I'm thinking that isn't going to work.
     Am I misunderstanding what weapon foci are or how they work, or what?

capt10kirk

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <01-01-18/1755:29> »
Update, chummer does allow the bite to be selected for the weapon foci.

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <01-01-18/1834:26> »
Technically you can't do fangs as a weapon focus, but if since tattoo foci exists I would allow it.

Slipperychicken

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <01-02-18/1644:06> »
That sounds pretty cool. There must be some way to make that work with re-implanting the teeth or putting special magic markings on them.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <01-02-18/1817:44> »
It is a cool concept, I'll give you that. But it is also a bit of a stretch when it comes to the restrictions on foci and their creation.

You essentially have two options: Implant or Tattoo.

As an Implant, it is somewhat redundant, since the character already has the Fangs/Bite, and he doesn't need an implant to gain it. It also has the drawback of costing Essence, which is usually the opposite of what you want as an awakened individual.

As a Tattoo, the rules are a little vague what the process is. We don't know if the subject needs to be present for the full enchanting process or if the tattooing ink is enchanted and then just inked. Either way, though, the tattoo would be pretty obvious, probably a decent sized facial tattoo around the mouth.

FST_Gemstar

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <01-02-18/1939:50> »
It is a cool concept, I'll give you that. But it is also a bit of a stretch when it comes to the restrictions on foci and their creation.

As a Tattoo, the rules are a little vague what the process is. We don't know if the subject needs to be present for the full enchanting process or if the tattooing ink is enchanted and then just inked. Either way, though, the tattoo would be pretty obvious, probably a decent sized facial tattoo around the mouth.

What about fillings filled with enchanted ink :)

Or a tongue piercing.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <01-03-18/0130:16> »
What about fillings filled with enchanted ink :)

Or a tongue piercing.

Unless you plan on hitting people with that piercing, that one doesn't work.

I don't think fillings really makes sense either, definitely not the same thing as a tattoo focus. And honestly the tattoo option is a bit of a stretch as is.

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <01-03-18/0226:19> »
The tattoos I can see for a lot of cultures and magical traditions (as qi foci, not weapon foci), but an enchanter/orthodontist etching scrimshaw on your fangs or giving you orichalcum caps?  That's a bit more... unusual.

ZeldaBravo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <01-16-18/2212:47> »
Either way, though, the tattoo would be pretty obvious, probably a decent sized facial tattoo around the mouth.

What do you think about a tattoo inside the mouth? The inner side of cheeks, the gums, the tongue...
*I have problems with clarifying my point in English, so sometimes I might sound stupid or rude.*

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #9 on: <01-16-18/2327:18> »
Either way, though, the tattoo would be pretty obvious, probably a decent sized facial tattoo around the mouth.

What do you think about a tattoo inside the mouth? The inner side of cheeks, the gums, the tongue...

If you are foolish and tough enough to sit through at needle going in and out of some of the most nerve packed issue in the human body 1000 times a second, AND want to risk the infection that is very likely to set in (mouth is not very clean), as well as put up with the scabbing that happens, making eating almost impossible, fly at it.
« Last Edit: <01-16-18/2328:55> by Reaver »
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

ZeldaBravo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <01-17-18/0825:04> »
I believe not eating, enduring pain, and overcoming mundane infections are not much of a problem for a vampire.
*I have problems with clarifying my point in English, so sometimes I might sound stupid or rude.*

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #11 on: <01-20-18/2026:06> »
Really Fangs? Come on now. The greatest biter in the history of SR?

Que Epic fight scene music, you vs the Troll. Camera goes to the Troll as he raises monstrous enchanted Mace.
Camera swings back to you and you just smile showing those enchanted chompers.

I'm sorry guys, I don't see it, get a nice sword, or mace, maybe a spear, could get ethnic pick up a mega enchanted macuahuitl or maybe Nice Kris. Go all 70 and get some nunchuks. A katana is never a mistake when one is running the shadows. A Dao won't let you down! A Jain is lovely for a stroll through the Acid Rain. The dawn is never far when one has a Morningstar.

Some battle you just don't want to win, some titles are just better left to NPCs.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Slipperychicken

• Chummer
« Reply #12 on: <01-26-18/1720:02> »
The tattoos I can see for a lot of cultures and magical traditions (as qi foci, not weapon foci), but an enchanter/orthodontist etching scrimshaw on your fangs or giving you orichalcum caps?  That's a bit more... unusual.

He's already an awakened vampire shadowrunner in a world where people voluntarily replace their legs with tank treads and get LEDs implanted in their skin.

If you are foolish and tough enough to sit through at needle going in and out of some of the most nerve packed issue in the human body 1000 times a second, AND want to risk the infection that is very likely to set in (mouth is not very clean), as well as put up with the scabbing that happens, making eating almost impossible, fly at it.

No-one complains about the procedure and aftereffects of wired reflexes.

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <01-26-18/1725:23> »
People have a knee jerk reaction towards magic getting anything or doing anything besides spells and spirits.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #14 on: <01-27-18/0202:31> »
Twitchy muscle problems are a thing of distant editions ago.  We haven't even seen an object lesson in the creepiness of move-by-wire in a long time.
Not supporting focus fangs is no anti-magic prejudice, it's orthodontal empathy. 
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking