NEWS

Bricking a vehicle ?

• 2 Replies

CyberKumiko

• Newb
« on: <08-27-17/1745:59> »

I,me running  an upcoming Sioux Nation campaign and I have a decker & rigger in the party; i really want to get my ducks in a row for this one!

The Rigger is just asking to be attacked enemy hackers on job and so my questions are :

1.)  Example scenario : Rigger is jumped into his Van in hot sim, enemy hacker spots the van with a matrix perception test  (it's a device in the matrix right?); If the enemy hacker unleashes a  DATA SPIKE on the van :

Does the riggers RCC take the matrix damage or the vehicle?

2.) is it possible to brick a vehicle ?  I know drones can be but the aforementioned riggers van?  if yes, how do you determine a vehicles Device rating to calculate matrix condition monitor ?

Arigato in advance!   :)

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #1 on: <08-27-17/2212:36> »
When a rigger is Jumped Into a vehicle, the vehicle's icon and theirs merge into one.  Basically, their RCC (and thus, their Persona) override the device they're jumping into.  Data Spikes against this are Data Spikes against the rigger; after all, the rigger's defending using his attributes and his RCC's attributes.  The core book describes this on page 266; the only exception is if the rigger is Jumped Into a vehicle by plugging directly from their Control Rig into the vehicle, no RCC or commlink or anything, in which case the the vehicle will take the matrix damage (as there's nothing else to take it).

It's absolutely possible to brick a vehicle.  Any electronic device with a connection to the matrix can be bricked; this is most electronic devices.  A vehicle, like a drone, has their Device Rating equal their Pilot Rating.  Nine times out of ten, these attributes are interchangeable.  A drone/vehicle's Firewall and Data Processing will also be equal to their Pilot/Device Rating, though this won't matter if the rigger is jumped in via an RCC.  As a reminder, their Matrix Condition Monitor will be Pilot/2+8.  Round up.

And again, you can brick anything that's wirelessly-enabled.  One thing to look for it to brick an opponents wireless cyberware, if they have any.  Things like cyberlimbs are usually wireless-off, but things like cybereyes and datajacks are usually connected to the matrix, and can be devastating if you take them out.  But they have to have their wireless turned on.  The savvy (and paranoid) will turn off wireless on everything except what literally cannot function otherwise (like your commlink and whatever is allowing you to interact with AR).
« Last Edit: <08-27-17/2215:41> by firebug »
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

The Bald Man

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <08-29-17/2007:11> »
If the rigger has their meat-body in vehicle, they can direct connect then run wireless off.  This gains them rigging advantages without the risk of Matrix attack.