NEWS

Possible Addiction homebrew rule change

• 2 Replies

忍

« on: <07-13-17/1919:43> »
Instead of reducing the Addiction Threshold by one for every week you don't use what about adding an additional die to the Addiction Test, while using again resets the additional dice. This helps against "gaming" the addiction system and encourages gambling with waiting and using. Thoughts?

Ragin Cajun

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <07-30-17/1924:12> »
Could you give me an example of what you mean?
Just needs a little bit a cayenne pepper.

Paper

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <07-30-17/1933:01> »
1 die per week is pretty different from -1 threshold per week. -1 threshold is roughly 3 dice.

Personally, I never understood the addiction system in the first place, as most runs take place during one week and then runners have a week or two of downtime. It doesn't make sense when there's a difference between using a substance every day of a single week and then quitting versus using a substance one day a week for 7 weeks. In the first case, the threshold would decrease, while in the second case, the threshold would always stay at baseline. I'm not exactly an addiction expert, but something makes me think that using a substance again and again in a short period of time is a much faster way to get addicted to that substance than using it "once in a while" every week or two.

Something I might suggest would be lowering the addiction thresholds of most of the substances and forcing someone to test every time they use. Every time they use within a certain time frame (let's say one week), the threshold increases. They have to spend the same amount of time without using to reset the addiction threshold. Each drug would have a separate counter, of course.

The only caveat is I'm not entirely sure how to integrate the Addiction rating of various substances. Maybe a different time frame for each addiction rating? So a substance with rating 1 might be only one day (meaning that going a day without it resets the counter) whereas something with rating 12 might be a month or so?
« Last Edit: <07-30-17/1935:18> by Paper »