NEWS

Cool ways for a mage to sacrifice himself

• 12 Replies

dposluns

• Chummer
« on: <05-09-17/1823:12> »
What are some cool ways you can think of for a mage to go out in blazing glory?

Presumably the mage has already burnt all his/her Edge, or would have 1 Edge left with which to perform the miracle of a Smackdown.

One thing I'm thinking of is casting a max-force indirect AOE spell (e.g. Ball Lightning) in a confined area, maybe using bound spirits to help you cast, to take out your enemies while succumbing to the drain and the damage of your own spell.

I'm trying to think of others but there don't seem to be a ton of moves in the mage's playbook that let you go all out like that, especially if you have good drain resistance.

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <05-09-17/1844:49> »
Cast <insert indirect combat spell here> at lethally high force. It'll take a bit of math to determine exactly how high the force will have to be, but it'll be fragging spectacular. May I suggest flame burst?
It is better to be crazy and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

"Nothing is wrong if no one can stop you."

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Well, drek. Looks like Timmy fell into the Dissonance Well again.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #2 on: <05-09-17/1925:12> »
Not sure about cool....

But the one I see most often is 'I'll summon this epic powerful spirit to do my bidding!'.... and then fails the drain roll....
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <05-09-17/2115:50> »
Blood Magic is always a good choice. ;D
Still waiting on a Vector-Thrust Liminal Body.

Pinicles

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <05-12-17/1617:03> »
Cast phisical barrier  max Energy and at the same time detonate two Hi explosive granades, one in each hand.  8)

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <05-12-17/1715:27> »
Actually there could be some options there.
There's a blood magic ritual that summons a blood spirit on your death to go after your killer.
Get personal, overcast a barrier-dome, spend karma to keep it active, then let yourself get stabbed.
Set up a live me-feed outside to stream the spectacle.  8)
If you wanna be environmentally responsible, you can still have a timed demolition charge.

gradivus

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <05-20-17/0206:10> »
You know you have that  giggling feeling whenever you levitate a goon and drop him....

Be fair.

Levitate him as high as you can see him.

Drop him.

On your head.
"Speech" Thought >>Matrix<< Astral

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <05-20-17/1621:23> »
If you have to go, go with a large bang. And what could be better than that F12 Fireball...

Why, three of those - just split your dp to cast three spells simultaneously at max Force
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Tym Jalynsfein

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <05-22-17/1133:48> »
Had one of our Guys do that with 4 Max Force Lightning Bolts...
Was not much left of him after the drain was done with him. And sadly, he STILL did not kill the 4 drones he was trying to nuke. :(
The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary. - James. D. Nicoll

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <05-22-17/1233:36> »
Yeah, for that to work, area spells are essential
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <05-22-17/1251:40> »
 :o Drones actually surviving anything is unexpected news to me, to be honest.
With that much overcasting, a fling spell might have actually worked better on the drones. ^^

Tym Jalynsfein

• Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <05-22-17/1608:00> »
Yeah, for that to work, area spells are essential

He did not have an AOE Lightning... So he essentially sacrificed himself for absolutely nothing. :(
But it was pretty awesome, nonetheless.
The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary. - James. D. Nicoll

cold iron

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <05-22-17/2001:05> »
Doing a smack downed turn to goo on a dragon. You will be completely destroyed later but who wound want to go down as the guy who turned Lofwir into a pile of goo. Another would be to shape change into some animal and handdeliver a large explosive to the feet of whoever they are trying to kill.