NEWS

How/Why is the flechette damage code relevant?

• 27 Replies

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <02-28-17/1514:57> »
No, chokes are exklusive to shotguns

Edit: With the exception of the Remington Roomsweeper, which does indeed have a choke since it's using shotgun rules.
« Last Edit: <02-28-17/1548:40> by Jack_Spade »
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <02-28-17/1535:17> »
Many infiltration/assassin types use flechette ammo in their light pistol since they assume they can catch their target out of his/her armor and it's a much better option for a silenced weapon than other +DV ammo like explosive.  No choke needed.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <02-28-17/1559:31> »
You can use flechette in any weapon. Shotguns are the only weapon that have additional rules for spread and choke when they use flechette ammo.

The Bald Man

• Chummer
« Reply #18 on: <02-28-17/1612:22> »
for non-shotgun weapons is the 'choke' assumed to be narrow?
What happens to the range?

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <02-28-17/1617:46> »
No choke at all. You don't get any of the shotgun effects (like the -1 to dodge for narrow choke). Range is by RAW unchanged.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <02-28-17/1725:05> »
The rules for Choke Settings (Spread) is a set of rules unique to shotguns. It is triggered by loading the shotgun with shot (flechette) ammunition. So unless the weapon specifies that it has an extra effect when loaded with flechette (like the Remington Roomsweeper), it doesn't.

The start of the Shotgun Choke Setting rules actually starts out sounding like loading a Shotgun with shot rounds (as opposed to slugs) is actually meant to be an alternative "normal ammunition." It says to apply the flechette damage modification, but seems to (initially) indicate that these attacks aren't technically flechette rounds. But after that, in the charts and such, it always refers to the spread rules as "shotgun (flechette)" or "Firing a flechette shotgun," so I think it is safe to say that it is easiest to just use the flechette ammunition as the way those rules are triggered for shotguns.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #21 on: <02-28-17/2336:53> »
For the record, you can get both a birdshot and a "Flechette" military round for most large bore hand guns. But the actual spread of the projectiles at effect ranges is only about 4inches... which is still a good pistol accuracy.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Slipperychicken

• Chummer
« Reply #22 on: <03-01-17/0606:57> »
Maybe I'm overthinking it, but unless you're using some dinky pea-shooter, an unarmored target is going down no matter what ammo type you put through his skull.

Adamo1618

« Reply #23 on: <03-01-17/0658:21> »
So if I fire suppressive fire with flechette ammo from an assault rifle, I use the normal rules for suppressive fire?

maxcarrion

• Newb
« Reply #24 on: <03-01-17/1055:16> »
So if I fire suppressive fire with flechette ammo from an assault rifle, I use the normal rules for suppressive fire?

Indeed - flechette ammo changes damage value (+2) and AP Modifier (+5) - that is all

- it does, on average, a tiny amount more damage (+2 damage is on average equivalent to 6 armour) but - importantly - greatly increases the chance of being converted to stun (by armour) or failing to penetrate (barriers/hardened armour) , in a pistol or rifle it is still usually 1 round but a fragile round that breaks on impact (dispersing energy effectively but penetrating poorly)

Guns like the Fichetti Needler have the flechette damage code noted - this ONLY means that the weapon stats already factor the +2DV +5AP of flechette ammo and this doesn't need to be added again for loading flechette ammo (in the case of the Fichetti this is the only ammo it can load)

Shotguns can fire shot - these are many small pellets, these benefit from choke settings of shotguns (including the roomsweeper) and apply the flechette ammo modifiers to damage and AP (because pellets inherently disperse energy efficiently and penetrate poorly) - hence the Roomsweeper has a flechette line that is the same as the solid shot line but has +2DV and +5AP but because it is a shotgun it also benefits from the choke bonuses
« Last Edit: <03-01-17/1056:58> by maxcarrion »

The Bald Man

• Chummer
« Reply #25 on: <03-01-17/1252:58> »
thanks for you patience.  2 more questions.

the +5 AP stacks with native AP right?  So AK-97 goes from 10/-2 to 12/+3?  it doesn't replace it making it 12/+5 (the way SnS does).

Can you load flechette slug round into shotgun, no choke/ no defense penalty/ no multiple target, but use slug ranges?  I think the answer is yes.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #26 on: <03-01-17/1506:39> »
thanks for you patience.  2 more questions.

the +5 AP stacks with native AP right?  So AK-97 goes from 10/-2 to 12/+3?  it doesn't replace it making it 12/+5 (the way SnS does).

Can you load flechette slug round into shotgun, no choke/ no defense penalty/ no multiple target, but use slug ranges?  I think the answer is yes.

Correct for the AK.

A 'flechette slug'  is a.... slug :P

Flechettes are generally 500 sewing needles loaded into a single 12 guage cartridge.... they are NOT slugs (which implies a solid chunk of weighty lead.)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #27 on: <03-01-17/1725:21> »

Flechette suppressive fire is a special case described on p.120 of Run & Gun. The most important change is that it
"prevents targets from using the Drop Prone action to avoid the attack". This is an important difference and can be very powerful in practice.