NEWS

Tir Tairngire - Coup of 2064

• 34 Replies

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <01-20-17/1154:32> »
It may also mean Diablo trees now have agents to spread them to other locales . . .
They already had that in Aztechnology.

Yeah, but Aztechnology has a lot of other irons in the fire. This group of Xapiri Thepe are dedicated.

Rosa

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <01-21-17/0217:34> »
Maybe, but they still have a civil war on their hands, so until they have either won or lost, it seems like they have their hands full.

Dwagonzhan

• Chummer
  • Drake on the run.
« Reply #17 on: <01-21-17/1508:20> »
Huh. Well that would go a ways towards softening my stance towards Alachia if true.
Because currently, she is right the top of my list of "Arrogant, powermad assholes to avoid at all costs" in the Sixth World.
"You haven't truly lived until you've had a Cortex bomb!" ~Former GM

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <01-21-17/1541:53> »
Huh. Well that would go a ways towards softening my stance towards Alachia if true.
Because currently, she is right the top of my list of "Arrogant, powermad assholes to avoid at all costs" in the Sixth World.

She's still a powermad asshole, but not all of the Blood Wood's suffering was her fault. That would be giving her far too much credit.
It is better to be crazy and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

"Nothing is wrong if no one can stop you."

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Well, drek. Looks like Timmy fell into the Dissonance Well again.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #19 on: <01-21-17/2039:18> »

She's still a powermad asshole, but not all of the Blood Wood's suffering was her fault. That would be giving her far too much credit.
Dwagon, you should DEFINITELY have that stance towards ANY Immortal Elf, Dragon, megacorporate executive, national politician, or religious leader. ALL of them. The ones in those roles who aren't powermad assholes have been taken out or replaced by people who are, and power and arrogance go hand in hand.

The best you can say is that there are some who are less asshole-ish than others. Sean Laverty just wants to teach elves magic. Aina just wanted to escape the Horror of her past. Big D and Hestaby are (or were, in Big D's case) pretty chill for dragons. Schwartzkopf just enjoys being a professor and seeing how the young races find new ways to do things this cycle. But don't let that fool you into thinking that any of them don't have tons of power, and know how to use it for their benefit. They're all schemers and manipulators of the highest order. A benevolent arrogant, powermad asshole is still an arrogant powermad asshole.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Dwagonzhan

• Chummer
  • Drake on the run.
« Reply #20 on: <01-21-17/2253:46> »
Dwagon, you should DEFINITELY have that stance towards ANY Immortal Elf, Dragon, megacorporate executive, national politician, or religious leader. ALL of them. The ones in those roles who aren't powermad assholes have been taken out or replaced by people who are, and power and arrogance go hand in hand.

I do. It's why I have a LIST. :)
It just so happens she's at the top of that list. Any one of those things is "AVOID AT ALL COSTS", but the ranking comes down to the fine details.
If I'm going to die, I'd rather not listen to a millenia old has-been queen preach at me about the inherent purity/superiority of elvenkind and her in particular.

The best you can say is that there are some who are less asshole-ish than others. Sean Laverty just wants to teach elves magic. Aina just wanted to escape the Horror of her past. Big D and Hestaby are (or were, in Big D's case) pretty chill for dragons. Schwartzkopf just enjoys being a professor and seeing how the young races find new ways to do things this cycle. But don't let that fool you into thinking that any of them don't have tons of power, and know how to use it for their benefit. They're all schemers and manipulators of the highest order. A benevolent arrogant, powermad asshole is still an arrogant powermad asshole.

I am more aware of that than you probably assume of me.
In every scenario I write, someone is always playing someone else and there's always an ulterior motive or greater plan.
"You haven't truly lived until you've had a Cortex bomb!" ~Former GM

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <01-22-17/1336:48> »
And how blood elves supposedly got from the Ukraine to Amazonia, and became Xapiri Thepe as well,  we will of course never know. ...........

(snip)

That's not my point. The blood elves of blood wood were before the ritual normal earthdawn elves,  and after they were normal earthdawn elves but with thorns growing out of their bodies. They had not suddenly transformed into the amazonian metavariant Xapiri Thepe.

And if you want to imagine that at some point a group of blood elves somehow left blood wood and wandered all the way to Amazonia you still haven't explained why they are suddenly Xapiri Thepe.

I guess you could argue some sort of genetic spreading effect during the 5th world, but that falls short as well because if that was the case they should have appeared everywhere else as well.

The point is, it's an easy throwaway line to make, and on the surface sounds cool, but it makes no sense whatsoever when you look at it more closely. Now if that line had been about a weird phenomenon in the Ukraine for example around the vicinity of Tjernobyl it would have been very cool and would have made sense.

Btw does anyone remember where there's the info about Jenna Ni'fairra and her strange magical rituals?

Just a thought, but... if an Elven race was normal, then held a big ritual and grew thorns, and then another Elven group, a far, far distance away, who were not known to have thorns, suddenly showed up with them, would it make more sense to think that:

A) A group of Elves moves across the entire planet, rebuilt their culture, their language, their genotype, then waited 10,000 years, came out in a disguise, then suddenly pulled their thorns back out, or,

B) Someone got access to the same ritual and performed it for their people.

Just, you know. Tossing a thought out there. Don't mind me! I'll be moving along now...

Rosa

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <01-22-17/2152:02> »
B absolutely as has already been suggested by Mirikon.

Eventhough it should be said that there's several issues with this explanation as well.

1) Who taught it to them?  The number of people who have direct knowledge of the ritual can be counted on one hand,  and would more than likely only number anyone who was actually in blood wood at the time of its casting. As I have already said Alachia is seen in earthdawn materials to be seeking a cure for blood wood, so I have difficulty seeing her as the culprit. As I said earlier this image of Alachia as the evil queen incarnated is Caroline Spectors doing and isn't really substantiated in ED materials, or at least is a whole lot more complex than her black and white picture.

2) The ritual of thorns is like all high level ED rituals an unique ritual and should therefore have been modified considerably.  Again the number of people actually able to do so isn't very high.

3) The ritual of thorns like all unique ED rituals is of such a high circle  (probably 13+) that it can't be cast until the mana levels are high enough. Yes I know this happened with the ghost dance, but that noticeably altered Astral space at the site and no such phenomena has been reported in Amazonia.  And such a ritual would have sent astral shock waves out while and after it was cast, and none of Amazonias 3-4 great dragons noticed this?

As I said before it's an easy throwaway line to write, but substantially harder to actually explain so it makes sense.
« Last Edit: <01-22-17/2156:53> by Rosa »

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #23 on: <01-25-17/1712:21> »
Actually, it isn't that hard to explain so it makes sense.

Who taught them? Several possibilities. While I agree that Alachia wouldn't repeat the mistakes of the past (she makes all new ones), that doesn't mean that the knowledge wasn't passed on. Remember, before the CFD plot started up, we had Artifacts from the Earthdawn era 'waking up'. At least one of them has been confirmed to be an artifact with rituals that warped some of the forests in Tir Tairngir. The people who created the Ritual of Thorns knew that magic was cyclical, having had warning of the Horrors from the previous age of magic (see: Therans), so they may well have created and hidden instructions on the ritual, so that future elves would know how to protect themselves from the Horrors.

While the major Immortal Elves likely aren't involved in this, there are, canonically, more than just the handful we normally talk about in conjunction with the Tirs. Not many, but upwards of 20, IIRC. We have no way of knowing if one of them may not have become Corrupted, or sought the Ritual of Thorns for noble reasons to protect the elven tribes.

While it is unlikely in the extreme, remember that there are quite a few dragons in that area, and dragons can be bastards. It wouldn't surprise me if the Ritual of Thorns was used as a way to try and combat the Diablo trees, and it has spiraled out of control (like magic wants to do).

But honestly? There's another scenario that makes much more sense. Amazonia is a very magical country, with a LOT of their version of shamans. Who do shamans like to talk to? Spirits. And spirits may know, or have access to the knowledge, how to modify and perform the Ritual. We've already had one major plot involving spirits and plants, as well, in that same area. If one of the shadow spirits from the Ghost Cartels plot got loose, well, that would explain a lot, no?

As for the power levels, remember that magic levels are higher now than they were during the Ghost Dance. And while the knowledge for the Ritual of Thorns is higher, the power required to change a single tribe is far less. Instead of an 'all at once' thing, I'd say 'village by village' is more likely. Both because the rituals wouldn't send out shockwaves to let everyone know what's up, and because it would require less sacrifice, maybe even none, depending on the group size, and how willing the spirits were in helping out.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #24 on: <01-25-17/1754:03> »
The method you describe would also make it easier for the spirits to benefit from the pain and otherwise subvert the original purpose of the Ritual of Thorns.

Additionally, given the various Class 3 SURGE effects introduced in Runner's Companion, a thorn expression would easily explain the condition. If you can turn into a manifestation of Ganesh or a flesh-form looking victim or express the photosynthetic abilities of Xapiri Thepe.
« Last Edit: <01-25-17/1854:28> by Crimsondude »

Kwai

• Newb
« Reply #25 on: <01-25-17/1818:36> »
And there was a Theran presence in South America (Araucania): a blood elf may have migrated to the area. Ehran had a base in the Amazon, no? And I agree with Mir, that while the the conversion of the terrain and pattern of the Wyrmwood is a high level ritual requiring enormous power and sacrifice, the conversion of a single or small group of elves into blood elves would be a smaller, and very doable ritual in the 6th world.

knppel

• Newb
« Reply #26 on: <04-07-17/0139:46> »
The horns are simply an opportunistic trick, self inflicted.
Why? Well, Hualpa's not directly fond of metahumans meddling in his forests, isn't he?
Obvious pattern:
-Grow Horns Magically
-Claim to be SURGE-Victims to get positive rep and shelter
-Stick around the Sangre Del Diablo
-????
-Profit

And for those who wonder what "Profit" I speak of, try to get some Diablo-juice from your talismonger and see what it costs.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #27 on: <04-07-17/0157:12> »
And there was a Theran presence in South America (Araucania): a blood elf may have migrated to the area. Ehran had a base in the Amazon, no?
Yes. One of the adventures in the Harlequin module is set in his residence outside Bogotá.

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #28 on: <04-07-17/1443:16> »
And there was a Theran presence in South America (Araucania): a blood elf may have migrated to the area. Ehran had a base in the Amazon, no?
Yes. One of the adventures in the Harlequin module is set in his residence outside Bogotá.
Which probably got leveled during the Azt/Am war.
It is better to be crazy and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

"Nothing is wrong if no one can stop you."

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Well, drek. Looks like Timmy fell into the Dissonance Well again.

lokii

• Chummer
« Reply #29 on: <04-08-17/0653:52> »
Which probably got leveled during the Azt/Am war.

I think Ehran's plantation was located somewhere along the Jutaí River which puts it in the northwest but well beyond Bogotá and the Aztlan-Amazonian border.