NEWS

Buying off Uneducated

• 8 Replies

忍

« on: <11-10-16/1412:17> »
It seems that paying 16 karma doesn't accurately represent getting an education (or at least no longer be unaware in Technical , Academic, and Professional skills).

What would y'all have a PC do in order to lose this quality? Pay for schooling? Hit the library? For how long?

DeathofVirtue

• Chummer
  • Astral Ghost
« Reply #1 on: <11-10-16/1505:02> »
  I guess go with the karma and modify the rules for the day job negative trait to fit night classes or some other form of long term, relevant education.  The average night class leading to an entry level understanding in such a wide range of topics would be 4-6 months and classes are rarely free.

Alternatively you could probably be tutored by a friend with the relavent skill and instruction, time frame is probably similar but you could rush through if you dedicated more hours a day.

I'm pretty sure you could find a relavent course on the matrix too but you likely wouldnt have a teacher with an instruction skill to bolster dicepool.

If your gm Is harsh a comprehension check against a t/n they assign either at the time of the course ending  or for every session is a possibility.  On a fail you learned nothing that session and it didnt count towards your total or  if making one roll for the entire course you fail?  Just ideas.  Oh wait it's 5e uhh against a hit threshold I guess?  It shouldnt be too high, it's only an entery level of understanding your trying to learn, you would obviously still know less than somebody with a knowledge skill of 1 in those fields after the course, you would just have sufficient knowledge to further your understanding in them if you chose to.

The knowledge skills you buy then represent your degree of learning thats higher than that basic foundation you took the course for.
« Last Edit: <11-10-16/1516:24> by DeathofVirtue »
Because if I pass you I wont even leave a breeze.
If you search for me you won't find a trace.
What then do those seeking me say they found?
Nothing.
Zero is nothing.
I am Zero.
What better name for myself?
 -Zero on being asked where he got his name...

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <11-10-16/1736:49> »
Take a look at Life Modules (Teen Years and / or Further Education) for ideas. Or you could jam in some appropriate 'ware, take brain drugs, and justify buying it off sooner.

Kuirem

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <11-10-16/1846:43> »
With the risk of being unrealistic I would just allow the PC to spend a week, pay the karma and be done with it. Also allow the help of a teacher or tutorsoft to speed up the process at a cost.

Just compare to how fast you learn skills. Going from 1 to 4 takes 4 days without an instructor, considering that it is the Professional level for most jobs (which can normally easily take a year to acquire, with a tutor), one week for a basic education doesn't seems unrealistic. And it's not like he is learning from scratch, the time the character already spend next to people more educated than him would have helped to pick up stuff.
« Last Edit: <11-11-16/0152:04> by Kuirem »

&#24525;

« Reply #4 on: <11-11-16/0125:05> »
Wouldn't increasing a skill from 1 to 4 take 9 days? (2 + 3 + 4)

Kuirem

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <11-11-16/0149:58> »
Huh yes you are right sorry, but my point still hold, 9 days is too low for a professional level.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <11-11-16/0531:45> »
I think you forgot that learning skills changes scale as the rating goes up (quite drastically).

Raising a skill from 9 to 10 takes 20 weeks. Which would be 140 days by itself.

Using the proper times, to go from Rating 4 to Rating 10 would take a total of 64 weeks. And on top of that, there is also the restriction that you can only increase a skill three times in a single downtime. So you would need to take a "break" from training at some point in there. Not to mention the karma to train that skill that many times. So we're talking probably a year and a half of intense training in that one single skill. Remember that many professions don't require singular training. You need to learn a variety of skills to be properly trained in a vocation of some sort.

To answer the OP, I would say that to buy off Uneducated would require the character to go through some sort of process to familiarize themselves with all of the sorts of skills that Uneducated represents as being "innately unfamiliar."  This could mean taking some classes (either formally or by fellow runners), getting some intensive training, or some other method that the player can come up with. Be creative, you're buying off a pretty hefty quality (in terms of effect at least), it should have an effect on how your character acts and reacts to the world.
« Last Edit: <11-11-16/0535:37> by Kiirnodel »

DeathofVirtue

• Chummer
  • Astral Ghost
« Reply #7 on: <11-11-16/0914:36> »
  Your right I did lmao.  Apologies, late night posting is not my strong suite...

I'll remove the post to avoid confusion.
Because if I pass you I wont even leave a breeze.
If you search for me you won't find a trace.
What then do those seeking me say they found?
Nothing.
Zero is nothing.
I am Zero.
What better name for myself?
 -Zero on being asked where he got his name...

Blue Rose

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <11-11-16/2022:59> »
If you don't think just paying karma justifies it, then buy academic, professional, and technical skills.  When the extra karma you've spent because of Uneducated is enough to buy off Uneducated, you now have an education.