NEWS

Drone Rack

• 14 Replies

忍

« on: <12-30-15/0121:20> »
While I haven't found any explicit ruling allowing vehicle mods on drones there is a functional similarity between a drones mod points and a vehicle's modification slots. Perhaps I missed a line or maybe there's some errata floating about.

Can a drone have a drone rack modded on to it?

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <12-30-15/0130:51> »
mm, a larger flying with a relay system and landing drone racks for smaller spy drones could be.... INteresting
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Fabe

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <12-30-15/0151:20> »
"Arsenal" from 4th edition had a blimp Drone carrier drone 

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <12-30-15/0320:22> »
what about the GTS Tower Drone ?

HokaHey
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <12-30-15/0345:45> »
I'm more interested in the price for micro drone racks.

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <12-30-15/0849:29> »
400, I think.
In any case, yes, theoretically some drones can carry their kin of same size in a drone rack. Think of it as a piggyback ride.
Still waiting on a Vector-Thrust Liminal Body.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <12-30-15/1124:03> »
Huh, good call, Novocrane. Looks like they forgot to put the stats for Micro drone racks (both Standard and Landing) in the tables.

GTS Tower with 8 Noizquitos? Hmmmm...

gradivus

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <12-30-15/1145:21> »
While I haven't found any explicit ruling allowing vehicle mods on drones there is a functional similarity between a drones mod points and a vehicle's modification slots. Perhaps I missed a line or maybe there's some errata floating about.

Can a drone have a drone rack modded on to it?

Explicit ruling from Rigger 5:
These rules provide detailed options for drones and
can be used as an optional rules system for adding modifications
to them. Players who do not want to use a separate
system can use the rules provided in the Building
the Perfect Beast chapter (p. 150).
<emphasis mine>

So you can throw out the drone mod rules and just use the vehicle mod rules if you so choose.
« Last Edit: <12-30-15/1154:06> by gradivus »
"Speech" Thought >>Matrix<< Astral

Raven2049

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT "Special" Agent
« Reply #8 on: <12-30-15/2048:58> »
which means for missions thats what will most likely happen.

gradivus

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <12-30-15/2329:38> »
which means for missions thats what will most likely happen.

since they've thrown out everything else that has said optional- yup

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #10 on: <12-31-15/0214:47> »
The main downside to throwing out the drone optional rules is that you no longer get one free point in each stat - Speed, accel, and handling now cost 4-5 mod points each and can only go up by 2. Armor is now twice as expensive (in mod points) per point, and pilot and sensor upgrades are now nebulously priced. If I rip out a rating 3 pilot and replace it with a rating 6 under the vehicle mod rules, do I pay 3 mod points (the difference between a rating 3 and rating 6 pilot) or 6? In other words, do I get a credit for the pilot I removed? Same with sensors. As a GM, I'd rule yes you get refunded, but it's not specifically stated in the rules and really reads more like you don't (as there are no rules for downgrading).
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

gradivus

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <12-31-15/0309:40> »
The main downside to throwing out the drone optional rules is that you no longer get one free point in each stat - Speed, accel, and handling now cost 4-5 mod points each and can only go up by 2. Armor is now twice as expensive (in mod points) per point, and pilot and sensor upgrades are now nebulously priced. If I rip out a rating 3 pilot and replace it with a rating 6 under the vehicle mod rules, do I pay 3 mod points (the difference between a rating 3 and rating 6 pilot) or 6? In other words, do I get a credit for the pilot I removed? Same with sensors. As a GM, I'd rule yes you get refunded, but it's not specifically stated in the rules and really reads more like you don't (as there are no rules for downgrading).

You can sell the Sensor 3 the way you sell everything else. which means you get a fraction of its price.

And you pay full price for the Sensor 6, IMHO.

What does no downgrading have to do with it? You lost me on this point. Don't be afraid to explain it like I'm 5 years old because I really do not get the connection.

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <12-31-15/1043:45> »
couldnt you have base sensor 3 then add in a single sensor for listed cost?

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <12-31-15/1133:20> »
gradivus
I believe what Malevolence is referring to is the fact that under the regular modification rules, drones would only gain (Body) mod points in each modification category (power train, protection, weapons, electromagnetic, and cosmetic). Sensor costs (Rating) mod points, so if you rip out a Rating 3 sensor array on a Body 3 drone, do you now have 3 Mod Points (the Body of the drone in the electromagnetic category), or do you gain another 3 by ripping out the old sensor for a total of Body 3 + 3 = 6.

Not being able to downgrade attributes for more mod points means drones are extremely limited in terms of modifications, because the normal vehicle modification rules have much higher mod point costs for upgrading most things. So a Body 3 drone gains 3 points in each category, where under the optional rules it automatically has 1 free point in each category + Body. This may not seem unbalanced until you realize that upgrading Acceleration under the drone rules only cost 1 point and can go as high as base attribute x 2, but under the vehicle rules it costs 4 and 8 mod slots and can only be upgraded by 1 or 2 points respectively.

In other words, using the vehicle modification rules for drones is almost completely useless unless you give them Body x 3 points or some such, which means riggers in Missions are most likely screwed as Catalyst typically don't allow Optional rules.

gradivus

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <12-31-15/2118:50> »
Well I guess his answers my question from another thread.
I guess I'll have to reverse myself and go with the drone mod rules.