NEWS

Gaming Horror stories

• 127 Replies

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #15 on: <09-09-10/1120:13> »
Thats like getting caught cheating at a LAN and make it out the door with your computer and your face intact. Wow.
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

Jadehellbringer

• Global Moderator
  • Chummer
  • My crotch! I'm not supposed to... wait, what?
« Reply #16 on: <09-09-10/1131:08> »
I haven't had a really nightmarish Shadowrun game, but I've had a few Battletech games that I'd have happily stayed home for. My favorite was the guy at a small convention in Denver who, upon finding his ammunition bin had exploded, upended the table and stormed out shouting obscenities (and, of course, breaking several miniatures in the process). He lived only because I was so stunned it didn't occur to me to beat him to a pulp.
Yikes! At a Con?!? He's lucky 20-30 guys didn't beat him to a pulp.

They were my minis, for the most part... a couple of which were beyond any attempt to repair, sorry to say. (I take pride in my painting!). Kidding aside, I really was just so shocked at it that I had no reaction whatsoever beyond a mere 'What the *frack*'?

I haven't had a really nightmarish Shadowrun game, but I've had a few Battletech games that I'd have happily stayed home for. My favorite was the guy at a small convention in Denver who, upon finding his ammunition bin had exploded, upended the table and stormed out shouting obscenities (and, of course, breaking several miniatures in the process). He lived only because I was so stunned it didn't occur to me to beat him to a pulp.

This from the guy who is a walking horror story. ;)

Heheh... good to see you over here, Peter- and a pleasure to see you at GenCon this year as well. Wish I'd had more time to stop and chat!
Not to be demanding, but can you please point that Panther Assault Cannon somewhere other than my groin?

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <09-09-10/1158:50> »
Heheh... good to see you over here, Peter- and a pleasure to see you at GenCon this year as well. Wish I'd had more time to stop and chat!

It was good to see you too. Next year won't have much opportunity to chat, we'll be coming down for just a day. The wedding is going to suck down 2/3rds of my vacation, working GenCon just won't be an option.

As for here, you say it's good to see me now... :D
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

Hand Amputation

• Newb
  • GUNK!
« Reply #18 on: <09-09-10/1251:07> »
Great Thread!

Mine isn't too bad.. But once (read: once) I played a D&D game with a DM who was notorious for rolling for the player.

Nothing more boring. Nothing.

Chaotic Insane

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <09-09-10/1253:03> »
My group that my dad ran in highschool was a nightmare. We put the "ADD" into AD&D.

I paid attention, most of the time (yes Dad, even though I'm usually drawing or have my laptop open I do USUALLY have at least a working idea of what's going on), my friend was a space cadet, the boys had the attention span of a tsetse fly, and the thief was actually halfway competent. Not the character (or player) you want doing things unsupervised. She was the only one that paid attention when Dad was rattling off treasure and EXP totals, so naturally she'd just star what she was stealing, hand it to Dad, he'd nod, and then she'd write up a new list sans the starred items to the party as soon as they were done talking about whatever new book just came out or new song they'd downloaded. I didn't say anything because my character was in on it and quite frankly didn't give much of a hoot as long as she got a big enough cut for booze and a look at the shiny new swords and medium armor. Every once in a while ONE of the boys would notice her saying "Hey, I'm gonna steal this, ok?" (as after a while she just gave up trying to be sneaky about it) and start to throw a fit but then another would bring up some off-topic BS and he'd forget about it.

That thief also thought that since she was a DM for the highschool's club, she could tell my dad what was what who, you know, had only been playing the game since before she was born.

I've had a group break into a fist fight. Over what I don't even remember, probably something stupid and completely unrelated to the game. I tended to just try and ignore those two people in general. We've also had someone in our group try to steal from us. Oh yeah, and I've been stabbed with a pencil. I don't miss that party.

Being a role player in a group of roll players is always a pain. Half my party didn't even name their characters. That bugged the crap out of me.

OH! And our party that turned "evil," and by "evil" I mean "slaughter randomly and kill each other for no reason whatsoever." Chaotic Evil =/= mindless murderous psychopath. Hell. Even most sociopaths at least have SOME sort of motive. Not just, you know, because it's Tuesday. It's also just considered gaming etiquette to NOT kill a player who's bringing a new character into the party before he even has a chance to come into the party because you think it'd be funny. No joke, as soon as the DM asked the player to introduce his character another player started rolling dice to kill him. Just because. I'd still show up, but I stopped playing about the second time the party wiped themselves out for S&Gs and just curled up in the comfy couch and doodled. I was the only player that still had my original character because as soon as the party would start to bicker I'd just tell the DM I was getting up and leaving them to their idiocy. Half the time he didn't even notice.

My dad's the one with all the good ones not fueled by raging teen angst.
"People say I hate the living. It's not true. I just happen to see the potential inside all people; those great things anyone can do if they aren't trapped in their own consciousness and morals. And when I unlock that potential, death is the side-effect. I can't help that." - Dr. McMourning

Jadehellbringer

• Global Moderator
  • Chummer
  • My crotch! I'm not supposed to... wait, what?
« Reply #20 on: <09-09-10/1256:37> »

It was good to see you too. Next year won't have much opportunity to chat, we'll be coming down for just a day. The wedding is going to suck down 2/3rds of my vacation, working GenCon just won't be an option.

As for here, you say it's good to see me now... :D

Yeah, yeah, ban-cannon is loaded and aimed, bucko ;)

Not sure if I'll be at Gencon next year myself- depends on how finances look at the time, but sure hoping to do it again.
Not to be demanding, but can you please point that Panther Assault Cannon somewhere other than my groin?

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #21 on: <09-09-10/1324:18> »
<snip> Not just, you know, because it's Tuesday.<snip>
Tuesday is a very good reason, especially after some of the Monday's I've had... ;)

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #22 on: <09-09-10/1326:23> »
Being a role player in a group of roll players is always a pain.

Sig'ed for truth!
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

Chaotic Insane

• Omae
« Reply #23 on: <09-09-10/1328:33> »
<snip> Not just, you know, because it's Tuesday.<snip>
Tuesday is a very good reason, especially after some of the Monday's I've had... ;)

XD oh har har.

I'm just defensive of my evil beasties. I love them ever so much. I can't stand it when people make them catastrophically stupid.

And Doc, aint it just?
"People say I hate the living. It's not true. I just happen to see the potential inside all people; those great things anyone can do if they aren't trapped in their own consciousness and morals. And when I unlock that potential, death is the side-effect. I can't help that." - Dr. McMourning

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #24 on: <09-09-10/1333:28> »
Smart and Evil is definitely much better than just plain Evil.

"...now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

Chaotic Insane

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <09-09-10/1342:40> »
That's just plain chaotic in my book. Evil at least should have some semblance of a purpose, goal, motive, whatever. Even if it's just to do the opposite of good! As soon as you start getting into "just because" it just strikes me as pure chaos which is NOT FUN in a party. Can Chaotic be fun for the opposition? Oh hell yes. Dealing with someone who has no semblance nor care and possibly not even the ability to understand between right and wrong, good and bad, law and chaos is a fun challenge; but not in my party plzthx. Especially not the whole party.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #26 on: <09-09-10/1359:12> »
Agreed.

On a side note, I did have a player once who wanted to play evil characters all the time (even if the rest of the party was good). He kept getting ticked off when the rest of the party would eventually either turn him over to the cops or kill him to save their own skins (by saving their own skins, I mean he threatened to mentally enslave them once too often).

Of course, he had other issues. He was also of the fervent belief that any character created using the 3.0/3.5 d20 rules HAD to have at least TWO prestige classes for proper character development.

Chaotic Insane

• Omae
« Reply #27 on: <09-09-10/1423:13> »
OH GOD THOSE PEOPLE ANNOY ME.

I play core classes. Like... PHB1 core and that's usually it. Occasionally I'll play a warmage or a Dread Necromancer but that's as "out there" as I'll go. I was being told I HAD to prestige class and write my own classes because book classes were too boring.

Hi. ROLE play then. Please.

Now again, I looooove playing my evil characters as they're some of my oldest and best developed. Even then the rest of my characters fall in the neutrals with only one or two GOOD characters. If it makes SENSE for my character to be evil and still manageable for the party I'll try for it. As in, we're not all good and there's no clerics/paladins/other holier-than-thou types. However, I also usually don't try and screw over the party unless the DM intends on using me as a plot point... or they're just really dumb and even then I usually run it by the DM.

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #28 on: <09-09-10/1444:03> »
Yeah... I've done that. Well in almost 3 decades of gaming you get tired of porew gaming. In a party I was with in Cal. Our 20th lvl Mage threw a Fireball. IN A 20'sq ROOM! Yes... It inveloped the whole room! My character lost a Robe of the Celistine... Along with all my gear but what was under the robe and the sword in my hand! Once we defeted the enemies I cast a hols spell on the mage shattered his hands. One of the other burned characters desided to remove his tongue so he couldn't cast Verbal only spells.The player in qusetion was not a Newb. He worked his character up for 10 levels with our party he RAELLY should have known a fireball fills a 20 sqft area!

That's not the best/worst story either!

for teh record my last character I played was a Warmage. Epic great time playing him too!
« Last Edit: <09-09-10/1446:07> by Usda Beph »
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

Chaotic Insane

• Omae
« Reply #29 on: <09-09-10/1448:44> »
"Is there anything in there that's scary?"

That one's a gem. Don't forget that one. Though I think that falls under the "so much fail it's a win" category.