NEWS

Disguise Kit Ratings And Price

• 13 Replies

Major Doom

• Chummer
« on: <12-08-10/1104:45> »
I did a quick search on the forums, but haven't seen any threads tackle this, but the two disguise kits (Latex Face Mask and Nanopaste Disguise) on page 338, SR4A, mention having ratings in the descriptions, but on the bottom of page where the table is, there is no price multiplier by rating.  Can I safely assume the listed price for the disguise is used as the price multiplier by rating or is it some other price?
"Ok, you people! Sit tight, hold the fort, and keep the home fires burning. And if we're not back by dawn... call the president."
-- Jack Burton

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #1 on: <12-08-10/1135:27> »
Actually, the Rating of the Disguise is "equal to the hits on a Computer + Edit Test (max hits equals Disguise skill)". The price is a one-shot deal, with the rating being based on how good your software and skills are.

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #2 on: <12-08-10/1157:22> »
Actually, the Rating of the Disguise is "equal to the hits on a Computer + Edit Test (max hits equals Disguise skill)". The price is a one-shot deal, with the rating being based on how good your software and skills are.
??? You mean that even disguise kits use computers ??? That seems silly to me somewhat.
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #3 on: <12-08-10/1200:11> »
The Nanopaste Disguise? Definitely Computers. The latex face mask? Disguise i'd say.
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #4 on: <12-08-10/1213:58> »
Actually, the latex face mask uses a computer because it's more like the Mission: Impossible face mask than the Dollar Store face mask. You program the computer to sculpt the mask how you want it to look (including mimicking a real person's face).

Major Doom

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <12-08-10/1221:11> »
But the description for applying both disguise kits state the use of the Disguise Test, which is Disguise skill + Intuition.
"Ok, you people! Sit tight, hold the fort, and keep the home fires burning. And if we're not back by dawn... call the president."
-- Jack Burton

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #6 on: <12-08-10/1324:17> »
Quote from: SR4A, p. 338
Disguises
     Latex Face Mask: When the mage has her day off, you can still disguise yourself with this handy piece of equipment. The mask includes a disposable lifecast kit that produces a true-to-life latex face replica. New disguises may be programmed with a rating equal to the hits on a Computer + Edit Test (max hits equals Disguise skill). They may also be copied from a biometric scan (rating equals scanner rating). The rating of the mask adds to the dice pool for Disguise Tests. The mask and kit can only be used once.
     Nanopaste Disguise: The use of cheap cosmetics and latex based disguises are a thing of the past with the development of a versatile biostatic nanite paste. Once spread across the affected area, the paste utilizes the body’s bioelectric charge to power itself. It can be programmed to change color and texture or to display patterns. The paste can also remember preset configurations. A small container of paste covers the user’s face and hands, while the large container coats the entire body. The nanopaste may be programmed in the same manner as the latex face mask (above). The rating of the nanopaste disguise adds to the dice pool for Disguise Tests. The nanopaste disguise lasts for 24 hours.

Emphasis mine

If you are crafting a disguise without either of these, you do not get their rating added to your dice pool and you're simply using whatever you have on hand.

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #7 on: <12-08-10/1332:47> »
I can understand COmputers for the Nano paste masks, but Latex is poured into Plaster molds and can be crafted the old fashion way just as fine as computer aided... just takes longer.
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...

Major Doom

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <12-08-10/1444:03> »
If you are crafting a disguise without either of these, you do not get their rating added to your dice pool and you're simply using whatever you have on hand.

Can't these disguise kits just be purchased with the highest ratings (pre-generated disguises) for characters that don't have Computer skill?

Also, if I am reading the description correct, one can use a biometric scan to program the disguise kit as well?  If so, would a biometric reader accessory for a commlink work?
-- Jack Burton

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #10 on: <12-08-10/1448:56> »
I'm starting to get the feeling that this could go on for a while.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #11 on: <12-08-10/1539:49> »
The way I see it, the Latex Mask and Nanopaste are for the high-end superspies and the 'runners that find themselves on a run where they have to look like someone else.

Remember, the Disguise skill is not about you looking like someone else. Yes, that's one aspect of the skill. But the majority of the skill use is to "blend in" with the environment. Looking like you belong with the gangers hanging out on the street corner when staking out a mark or changing your appearance when your on the lamb from the law.

@Major Doom: The Biometric accessory for Commlinks is a Reader not a Scanner. The Readers have a set rating of 3, and I don't see anything about the cost for a Scanner (which should have a varied rating from the bit on SR4A, p. 264).

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #12 on: <12-08-10/1745:27> »
I can understand COmputers for the Nano paste masks, but Latex is poured into Plaster molds and can be crafted the old fashion way just as fine as computer aided... just takes longer.

To re-emphasize what FastJack has said:

Quote from:  SR4A, pg. 338, Latex Face Mask
The mask includes a disposable lifecast kit that produces a true-to-life latex face replica.

This is where your Computer + Edit test comes in, programming the "lifecast kit" for shaping the mask. Also, this ain't your momma's latex, this is latex laced with just enough nanites, programmable memory-metal or some such that it can be re-programmed to look like a different face.

Also, re-watch the youtube video FastJack posted.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Nomad Zophiel

• Omae
  • Zophiel by name. Nomad by profession.
« Reply #13 on: <12-08-10/1940:10> »
OK, to take the issues one at a time:
Disguise skill assumes you have a normal level of disguise equipment just like auto mechanic assumes you have a tool kit and spare parts. If you can't come up with a lab coat and some Groucho Marx glasses, you'd be at a penalty.

Yes, I'd allow use of a facial/body scan to program a latex mask/nanite kit. It makes sense that such kits would be compatible with major biometric software. As per RAW, the Rating of the disguise kit then equals the rating of the scanner device. Yes, that means that its often more effective to use Computer+Edit unless you have the time to specifically set up a high resolution scan. Vegas has basically ditched facial recognition software because it generates too many false positives. They found that trained people could do a better job. So this makes sense.

Most biometric scanners don't actually produce useful data for a disguise kit. Hand shape, breath, cellular, DNA, gait and finger/retina/tongue/whatever prints are not something a disguise kit can duplicate. So its really down to facial recognition or a full body ultrasound scan.