NEWS

Dark Dungeons

• 85 Replies

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #15 on: <11-12-10/1044:47> »
Yeah..... Don't pay attention to those sites. They're a minority. A vocal minority, but a minority nonetheless.

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #16 on: <11-12-10/1045:48> »
You gotta understand that this particular piece of ... artistic expression was released 26 years ago. Dungeons and Dragons had a BADD rap and people were scared of us. Ahh... the power we had (not really).
Yeah we did have an undeserved bad rep back then didn't we Fast!
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #17 on: <11-12-10/1048:39> »
I still don't get how they thought geeks would hurt them. I mean, we just wound up making all the stuff that you "need" in life now.

Huh... Guess we did end up owning everyone's souls -- through cell phone contracts, video games and internet networking... ;)

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <11-12-10/1118:10> »
Even though Dark Towers is 26 Years old
I remember (only a Few Years ago, this Century definitely !) an article in the Watchtower
(Religious Pamphlet from Jehovas Witnesses  here in Germany)
They copied an "Anti-D&D Article" from, the 80's Word by Word only exchanging D&D with DSA ("The Dark Eye" biggest Fantasy Roleplaying Game here)

with an exchangeable Dance
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #19 on: <11-12-10/1201:19> »
Interesting bit o' trivia

Make fun of D&D all you want, but you can pry Lord of the Rings from my cold, dead hands.

Nomad Zophiel

• Omae
  • Zophiel by name. Nomad by profession.
« Reply #20 on: <11-12-10/1854:52> »
in 25 Years of Gaming I'm also pretty good at explaining the Games to Outsider without it sounding too...Nerdy

That got a lot easier for me when I realized that pretty much any hobby looks nerdy if you're not involved. Consider the following real world examples -

Model railroads - painstakingly building miniature terrain so you can flip a switch and watch a toy train drive along it.

Civil War reenactment - Dressing up in itchy wool uniforms, living in a tent, pretending to get shot and glamorizing an era when medicine involved leeches and sawing off limbs without anasthetic.

Fly Fishing - Hand tying tiny feather things to hooks so you can put on rubber pants and throw your carefully constructed toys in the water

Scrapbooking - I don't actually know a damn thing about this, but it just seems nerdy.

They all have an appeal to the people who do them, all require a big time investment and all make you look pretty silly to people not involved.

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #21 on: <11-14-10/0547:52> »
I still don't get how they thought geeks would hurt them. I mean, we just wound up making all the stuff that you "need" in life now.

Huh... Guess we did end up owning everyone's souls -- through cell phone contracts, video games and internet networking... ;)

"The Geek will inherit the Earth"

Of course, few people want to believe that this former high school nerd now has the title of "Deputy" in front of his name. I still love seeing old classmates reactions when I show them my badge.

Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #22 on: <11-15-10/1900:39> »
Yeah, we have a bit of a problem with those kind in Poland. But they're more involved in politicsal bickering now. Though the games we play are evil. Just as evil as pokemon
I've red a few articles of the 'dark dungeon' kind written by polish fanatics. One of them involver RPG's along with the mentioned pokemon. And that specific priest (with a doctorate) seriously was analyzing a japanese cartoon for slavic-pagan elements (like Prof. Oak being a symbol of the lithuanian sacred-tree-worshipping from the medieval era). That's when i stopped, because it's not funny anymore.
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #23 on: <11-26-10/2008:10> »
You just gotta love Chick tracts.  If only playing D&D really gave us magic powers....I would totally Magic Missile the shit out of the jackass that drew that comic.

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #24 on: <11-27-10/0107:11> »
You just gotta love Chick tracts.  If only playing D&D really gave us magic powers....I would totally Magic Missile the shit out of the jackass that drew that comic.

Or the guy who cut me off on the way to work, various people AT work, the work building in general, anyone in general who deserves it....

Nah, power dosen't corrupt, not at all!

;D
« Last Edit: <11-27-10/0604:32> by Mystic »
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #25 on: <11-27-10/0519:42> »
Power corrupts. Total power... is even MORE fun! <c>Simon (BofH)
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #26 on: <11-27-10/1525:49> »
That's not even the dumbest or craziest Chick Tract I've ever seen.  Those things are hilarious.  If you find the rambling, misinformed, and insane hilarious.  Which I totally do.

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #27 on: <11-27-10/1549:50> »
Thought you guys would like to see this.  The Escapist is, in general, a great resource for serious and lighthearted looks at how we as geeks are handled by mundanes.  Once you slog through the point and counterpoint of this crazy Chick tract, check out the first link at the bottom, it is a 25th year reunion of the cast, VERY FUNNY.

http://www.theescapist.com/darkdungeons.htm

Nomad Zophiel

• Omae
  • Zophiel by name. Nomad by profession.
« Reply #28 on: <11-27-10/1610:09> »

Then the Megacorps came in and bought us all out. As of right now, two geeks own people's souls via their companies, maybe three if Google counts. The rest of the souls sucked out by technology went to big faceless, non-geek corps.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #29 on: <11-27-10/1652:49> »
One thing you have to understand about Mr. Chick and his pamphlets (he's done quite a few different ones, over the years) is that he never lets something as trivial as facts or information get in the way of his rants.

Kind of like political pundits do today.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."