NEWS

Dunkelzahn and Hestaby

• 127 Replies

Incendax

• Newb
« on: <08-01-13/2200:57> »
This is a request for background information: So what is going on with these two dragons?

Dunkelzahn seems like a very cool character right up until he blows up for unknown reasons (why did he get blown up?). Then he apparently has a will that hands out incredibly powerful items to lots of different people, some of these items that could have been used to avoid his own assassination. What is going on with that?

He then gets replaced by Hestaby who also takes Lofwyrs position on the Council of Princes... but I can't seem to find much information on Hestaby so it looks like she was just given a lot of fake credibility by writers to make her look important and replace Dunkelzahn really fast (including also winning some kind of dragon pride fight and becoming friends with Harlequinn).

So what is the story?
« Last Edit: <08-01-13/2219:07> by Incendax »

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #1 on: <08-01-13/2227:53> »
Dunkie died for our sins!!!

I'll let someone else handle this one for once.  ;)
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

calaen

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <08-01-13/2233:06> »
Well, okay, the way I understand it, Dunkelzahn didn't exactly get offed the way it sounds.  He basically did what he did to slow down or halt the impending return of lovecraftian horrorterrors from the places between the stars, and handed out the magic items to make sure some people who needed them for the upcoming battle against the horrorterrors would have them... or at least, that the items would be in a position to end up in the right hands.

Most of the dragons seem to have the common goal of dealing with the horrorterrors, but don't get the idea that the dragons are remotely altruistic.  Some of them like to play 'champions of metahumanity' but at the end of the day, like everything else with the smallest modicum of power in the 6th world, they've got their own agendas, and often times their own menus.  Look who is on the menu!  (Hint: Dragons don't really do vegan diets.)
« Last Edit: <08-01-13/2237:44> by calaen »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <08-02-13/0614:03> »
Dunkelzahn suicided as the ultimate Blood Magic. He powered a magical mechanical heart with it, gave out all that stuff to get things prepared, possessed a cyberzombie and is trying to slow down the thinning of the metaplanes that would allow the Horrors to come in. Basically, since humanity this time is causing things to go too fast (see Shadowrun Returns for an explanation), he died to slow things down because he believes that this time around, humanity might be able to win.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Rapier

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <08-02-13/0956:35> »
Dunk's suicide is still something I am angry at the writers about .

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <08-02-13/1042:20> »
Dunk's death is covered in the Dragonheart novels by Jak Koke.  Definitely worth a read if you want the scoop - you'll benefit from having read Harlequin's Back first, too.

As for Hestaby, check out Survival of the Fittest, Dragons Of The Sixth World, and Clutch of Dragons.
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <08-02-13/1557:19> »
Dunk's suicide is still something I am angry at the writers about .

It's not really a suicide since he's not dead.

Red Canti

• Omae
  • Hybrid Rainbow
« Reply #7 on: <08-02-13/1833:32> »
Yeah because that makes it any less idiotic.
"Always Trust Mr. Johnson, always. Just make sure he knows he'd regret betraying that trust."

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <08-02-13/1920:59> »
How is it idiotic?

Lumen

• Ace Runner
  • Lumen in Umbris
« Reply #9 on: <08-02-13/2048:30> »
Dunkie died for our sins!!!

I'll let someone else handle this one for once.  ;)

Though there were some excellent summations CanRay sums it up beautifully!
"Everything that is, casts a shadow" -Neil Gaiman.
"Speech"
*Thoughts*
<Matrix>
Knives Chapter 4 (5th edition) OOC: Pg 93.

Red Canti

• Omae
  • Hybrid Rainbow
« Reply #10 on: <08-02-13/2149:09> »
How is it idiotic?
Because it was a better story when it was the Kennedy Assassination in a Sixth World Mileau. Because making that into a convoluted not-really-suicide plot to interfere with an artifact of the Earthdawn setting was asinine.
"Always Trust Mr. Johnson, always. Just make sure he knows he'd regret betraying that trust."

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <08-02-13/2151:09> »
I don't know, it seems pretty Shadowrun-y to add a twist to major events.

Red Canti

• Omae
  • Hybrid Rainbow
« Reply #12 on: <08-02-13/2201:46> »
The thing that makes Dunkelzahn being assassinated such a powerful part of Shadowrun Lore is it enforces the idea that no one is unapproachable. That even with all of his political, arcane and physical power, the biggest dog in the Junkyard was still mortal. That he could still die. It's makes a neat little cautionary tale for every person in the setting.

Except the "twist" is, that's not how things are at all. And that's bogus. That's weak. That's ruining a perfectly good premise for some cheap heat on a person who's pretty much put themselves on a bus anyway.

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <08-02-13/2213:59> »
Dragons are more dangerous now lore-wise, though - it took Aztlan's entire army to take out a single great dragon, IIRC, and it may have survived (can't remember what happened precisely).

Off-topic, could you please not give your text such an awful color? It hurts the eyes.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #14 on: <08-02-13/2230:47> »
Spirits intervened, decent chance another Great Dragon sent some over to save him.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!