NEWS

SR5 matrix / online bonus and the wifi inhibitating building or deserted area

• 186 Replies

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <06-17-13/2039:27> »
Just as a note...  There's no SKinlink is the SR5 Core Rulebook :)

And what is the ingame- and offgame reasoning for that? To bring everyone online? Or to force cables on your character?

MfG
Hacker players complaining that they actually had to buy combat skills to do combat instead of using their hacking skills for everything under the sun.

« Last Edit: <06-17-13/2041:43> by All4BigGuns »
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #16 on: <06-17-13/2042:22> »
In the wireless discussion a while ago I mentioned the kind of possible ways I'd wanted for hackers to mess with people in combat. If (and that is if) wireless turns out to be a nightmare, chances are I'll develop that system using the Marks system.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #17 on: <06-17-13/2058:35> »
From the Origins Special edition of SR5, page 421:

WIRELESS BONUSES
Because nearly every piece of gear and 'ware is wireless capable, it means nearly every piece of gear and cyberware benefits dramatically from being "meshed" into your wireless personal area network and the Matrix as a whole.

When an item has additional functionality when connected to the Matrix, it's described under the "Wireless" entry in the item's description. This functionality only applies when the device has access to the Matrix, is most of the time unless your gamemaster says otherwise, like if you've entered a wireless static zone. If there is a Noise Rating from a situation that is greater than the item's Device Rating, not including distance, the item temporarily loses it's wireless functionality.

These benefits only apply when the item's wireless mode is on. Your Ares Alpha can't adjust for the wind direction and speed if it can't download the up-to-the-second weather conditions, and your Eurocar Westwind 3000 doesn't know the status of the next three traffic lights if it's not connected to GridGuide. A wireless device is always vulnerable to subversion and control by a hacker within wireless handshake range. You can defend your gear with a good commlink and a personal area network. Even better, defending against threats from the Matrix is part of your team hacker's job. If she's not available, you might occasionally want to turn wireless off.

-k

Aaron

« Reply #18 on: <06-17-13/2341:03> »
Yes, there's direct linking of devices, but "direct connection" is different from "wireless enabled."

GiraffeShaman

• Omae
  • Devourer of Salads
« Reply #19 on: <06-18-13/0403:05> »
In fact, the advent of technomancers has made hardwired networks make a comeback in the world. Every cyberdeck (and I think commlinks too?) includes some length of data cable, and longer cables are available cheaply.
Aha, everyone's so worried about hackers, but what they don't realize is that the era of the whip user has finally arrived. So many cords and legs to entangle...

mtfeeney = Baron

• Ace Runner
  • I love crunchy numbers
« Reply #20 on: <06-18-13/0617:00> »
Can you mix technomancer and mage now?  Pretty please?
Remember, you don't have to kill the vehicle to stop it, just kill the guy driving it.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #21 on: <06-18-13/0618:51> »
Please no. Leaving aside functionality, someone would take it then complain they suck at everything.

Anyway, we already know from the Priority tables it's not possible.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <06-18-13/0620:00> »
Can you mix technomancer and mage now?  Pretty please?

...  How's about never?  I'd seriously hate to see the wall between Magic and Resonance come down.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Baquette

• Newb
« Reply #23 on: <06-18-13/0637:39> »
Check out preview #3 (char generation preview). I htink itīs quite clear that you cannot mix Magic and resonance.

MfG

Wildcard

• Omae
  • Hex.tall was here.
« Reply #24 on: <06-18-13/1039:37> »
. For example, your gun is skinlinked to your commlink

Just as a note...  There's no SKinlink is the SR5 Core Rulebook :)

Bull

<3
I was permanently banned from the forums for consistently attacking my fellow posters and trolling the boards. I thought I could get "revenge" on FastJack for being banned by updating my sig to insult him, but all it proved was how much of an idiot I am.

Boomstick

• Chummer
  • Jack of all trades
« Reply #25 on: <06-18-13/1723:08> »
Yes, there's direct linking of devices, but "direct connection" is different from "wireless enabled."
Well, a direct connection to your commlink would enable the device to do what it needs with the Matrix but really being well protected,
as spoofing without going through commlink would not be possible.
So that would defeat the purpose of new hackers...

Also, how do you justify that your eyes, by going wireless, add Perception dices to the pool, when connected to Matrix and not when you have signal but are not linked to Matrix?
You could still detect other wireless nodes, I guess? Is it because of cameras not available? Then, if you have Matrix access but are not in a modern building with cameras every other inch, it doesn't work either?

What is the logic of Reaction Enhancers working together with wired reflexes when "on air" (On Matrix, actually, a lot more constraining.), and not possibly interacting through your nervous system or specific nanowires interfacing networks?
Is it because  sending your nervous system data on matrix to an external node, having it processed there and sent back to your another piece of gear it has the adress Ghost-knows-how, is so much faster than going through a direct link?

Please, do give us some insights, I only want to buy the idea of wireless bonuses (and for now, honestly, I am not sold)
"A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally."
Oscar Wilde

Great Dragon: "Oh, look, he has a grenade belt. I guess it is time to retire quickly".
The more it changes, the more it is not the same  any more...:P

White_Ghost

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #26 on: <06-18-13/1754:36> »
Of everything in the book, the wireless bonuses are the one thing I'm most leery about.

I understand exactly why it was done, as it fits with the risk/reward theme of this release. But as many others have said, some of the wireless bonuses don't make perfect sense. Each device must be handled on a case by case basis, and each wireless bonus is different in a particular way.

For instance, Chameleon armor would still function as armor if it was bricked, but loose it's bonuses to the sneaking skill.

While alternatively, your pistol would be bricked entirely and unable to shoot. 

Over all, I believe that it has a place in the game, but I don't think it was nailed to the amount that the new matrix rules were.

Boomstick

• Chummer
  • Jack of all trades
« Reply #27 on: <06-18-13/1831:37> »
Some of the nonsense could be relied upon by some change in wording, like "connected to the PAN" instead of "to the Matrix", but for some other, It would not make sense to  be connected only to the PAN to earn this kind of bonuses, and for some more, that wouldn't in any way make sense to win bonuses from wireless. Even good fluff would have a lot to do to convince me wireless is faster that wires and optic fiber.
But I am willing to apply the idea when it works, actually. That's a great idea. The pity is to see a few things are enforcing the "new ways to do".
That is not a good way to win players to these changes I think..
"A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally."
Oscar Wilde

Great Dragon: "Oh, look, he has a grenade belt. I guess it is time to retire quickly".
The more it changes, the more it is not the same  any more...:P

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #28 on: <06-18-13/1837:02> »
From what I can tell, Boomstick, the idea generally has nothing to do with connection speed.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

White_Ghost

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #29 on: <06-18-13/1841:54> »
If we are talking about at which point wireless bonuses are negated, the book rules it thusly:

Wireless bonuses are granted when it is connected to The Matrix and are lost under two conditions:

• When the device is not connected to the matrix
  • The Noise Rating is greater than the device rating.
« Last Edit: <06-18-13/1843:44> by White_Ghost »