NEWS

Astral Projection, Manifesting, Spells, and Combat

• 22 Replies

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #15 on: <10-21-13/1450:54> »
Which is the main reason most mages don't constantly astrally perceive, even though it would give them an edge on many things. It gives them some serious vulnerabilities as well.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <10-21-13/1528:14> »
My group and I are about to begin a Shadowrun game and need some clarification on some of the rules dealing with astral projection.

1. A mage who is in astral form can only cast spells/attack on those who have astral forms as well, meaning that anyone who is not duel natured is immune to damage from the. Does that change when they manifest? Does manifesting allow a mage to target people in the physical world with spells and physical attacks?
A manifesting mage can activate command preparations. That would mean he could follow his scouting buddy, from astral space, manifest and activate increased reflexes/armour/levitate/heal etc.
As a twist, let the runners steal 10 McGuffins, which later turns out to be nasty spell preparations. The team mage must then either use disjoining (which he likely doesnt have) or battle the opponent mage in astral, while the rest of the team must endure nasty ball lightnings while fighting off the meat and matrix world opponents. (they cant ditch the McGuffins, as the Johnson would be pissed then.)
And no, they cant just scratch the preparations off either.
That would be a great opportunity for the astral perceiving adept to finally get to use his astral combat skills. (say, the McGuffins are inside the runner vehicle, and the opponent mage needs to manifest inside the wagon to be able to see the McGuffins)
« Last Edit: <10-21-13/1534:05> by DigitalZombie »

WrongConcept

• Chummer
  • "This demonstrates my stupidity"
« Reply #17 on: <10-21-13/1531:53> »
So in short:

To affect Astral Space

- Mana Spell
- Astral Perception or Astral Projection

To affect physical Space

- Physical Spell
- No Astral Mombo Jumbo of any sort.

On an close but not quite related question. Can a mage change his Astral Projection form like a Technomancer changes his living persona looks?
"Welcome to the Shadows... We bake cookies on tuesdays and prepare for mass murder on saturdays, we do rest at sundays to start murdering on Monday... WHY?! my thats a stupid question, because mondays suck!" -Mad Gunner Brian

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #18 on: <10-21-13/1533:19> »
Which is the main reason most mages don't constantly astrally perceive, even though it would give them an edge on many things. It gives them some serious vulnerabilities as well.

yea, and really Sucks when they are trapped using Astral Perception as their main visual method too :(

My Mage back in 2e lost his sight during a firefight. And due to a phobia of technology, REFUSED to get cyber eyes for about 8 months as I recall... So he relied on Astral Perception for sight..... which the GM took advantage of more then a few times :P
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <10-21-13/1538:14> »
So in short:

To affect Astral Space

- Mana Spell
- Astral Perception or Astral Projection

To affect physical Space

- Physical Spell
- No Astral Mombo Jumbo of any sort.

On an close but not quite related question. Can a mage change his Astral Projection form like a Technomancer changes his living persona looks?

No....

Astral plane to affect Astral plane

material plane to affect Material plane

IE: A mage on the material plane casting manaball randomly will NEVER hurt an astral only entity, even though manaball is a mana spell. The Mage must Astrally perceive (and thus become dual natured... a connection to BOTH the material and Astral planes) to be on the material plane and hit a target on the astral plane....

MEAN WHILE: an Astral only entity can never hurt anything on the material plane..... it must materialize (NOT manifest) on the material plane to affect a material target...

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

FasterN8

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • Err on the side of awesome.
« Reply #20 on: <10-21-13/2120:24> »
Here's a nuanced question...

Can a Mage who's astrally projecting use physical spells for anything?  Like targeting a dual natured creature? (who is on both planes)  Or is he just SOL since the Mage himself isn't on the physical plane? 

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <10-21-13/2144:03> »

Can a Mage who's astrally projecting use physical spells for anything?  Like targeting a dual natured creature? (who is on both planes)  Or is he just SOL since the Mage himself isn't on the physical plane?

the way I understand it, only mana spells can be cast from the astral plane due to the lack of an actual physical body/connection to the material plane. So the mage would be limited in what spells would work (no flamethrower/fireball)...

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #22 on: <10-22-13/0209:17> »

only Manaspells and only at Astral or Dual Beings

with a Dual Dance
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8